Rfl Concepts

robbman21

One day I will post my league. I thought that I was the only one who did this sort of thing before I found this site. I really like all of your teams here they all have realistic designs and clever names.

This is how my league goes there are four divisions of five and two conferences of ten.

When I named all these teams I was only seven and the idea of integrity or plagarism was far from my mind so a few of the names are ripoffs of other teams in sports

NorthEast: Cincinnati Flames, New York Skyscrapers, Virginia Vultures, St. Paul Saints(I named them this before I knew they had a baseball team by the same name) Detroit Wheelers

SouthEast: New Orleans Jazz( again the name came about before I knew that there was an actual team that was called that) Orlando Breakers(this is one of two names that I stole for the league, I took it from the TV show Coach where he coaches a fictional nfl team called the orlando breakers)Carolina Voltrons, Nashville Knights, Houston Stars

SouthWest:Anaheim Ducks(I named this team in 92 before the NHL team, again a coincidence)Arizona FireBirds, San Jose Poison, Hawaii Waves, LA Bats

NorthWest:Montana Prowlers, Portland SeaDogs(this is the other name I took for the league) Austin Aztecs(they were originally the Alaska Polar Bears but this past season they moved to austin because as I got older I realized it would be very difficult for a professional football team to exist in Alaska, this is why a team in austin plays in the northwest division) Olympia Olympians, Dakota Miners

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Here are the Dallas Sherrifs.For the helmet logo I was going more for a Sherrif's star badge than the Cowboys star.The banner in front of the star on the helmet says 'SHERRIFS'.Although I provided the road jerseys here,I'm not really sure if they ever played a game that would have put them in thses unis.Also note that unlike the Cowboys,the pants are the same for both jerseys.The reason is because the same guy who ran this team ran the Baltimore Stallions,and because they had an alternate uni he didnt want to flood the league with uniform options.

Looking at these now they kinda look like Maverick cross-overs on these roads.

HOME:

Dallas_Sherrifs_Home.jpg

ROAD:

Dallas_Sherrifs_Road.jpg

98Falcons.png

Now we're up to the Jacksonville Rockets.Jacksonville had just been awarded the Jaguars and so it seemed right that since we had Charlotte then someone had to bring in Jacksonville.My friend Tommy who ran this team was a Jets fan and so hence the color scheme and the name.He decided to add gold over the black to make some difference in the uni and I opted with a green-ish gold to set it apart from the other teams that wore gold in their uni.The Rockets were a run-and-shoot

offense and though they scored a lot of points their defense stunk and it showed in their 6-10 record.Warren Moon started the season at QB but was injured in game 2 and reigning Heisman winner Charlie Ward came off the bench and led them to a win and became the starter all season.The road unis are represented by Herman Moore,who was still a year and a half away from his 122-catch season but was one of the top recievers in the first year of the RFL.

HOME:

Jacksonville_Rockets_Home.jpg

ROAD:

Jacksonville_Rockets_Road.jpg

98Falcons.png

To me and a lot of people this was the funniest team name/concept we had in the league.The L.A. G's.My friend Chris was the owner and he was a big Raiders fan as well as a hip-hop fan and 'gangsta' rap was in it's heyday.The big colors of that movement was the silver and black of the Raiders,LA Kings, and White Sox.The

Raiders were still in LA at the time and so the whole thing really tied in nicely with the colors,the team name,and the location.Also it just sounded funny to say 'LA G's'.It worked out perfectly with the iconic Packers' 'G" helmet logo switching colors and adorning the helmet.It almost seemed like you couldnt make this stuff up.They ran the West Coast offense and featured Montana and Rice,who represent the unis here.Bo Jackson was also the starting HB an other former Raiders were scattered on the roster.This team had an awesome offense but only an average defense and finished 10-6 and lost in their playoff opener.

HOME:

Los_Angeles_Gs_Home.jpg

AWAY:

Los_Angeles_Gs_Road.jpg

98Falcons.png

Here are the Miami Spartans.Their owner was a big Notre Dame fan and so that shows in the uni's,which he actually designed,not me.Although I did the artwork for all of them this one the only one where an owner told me exactly how he wanted it rather than looking at a few concepts and picking one.He was even specific about the gold color,which he didnt want too close to ND's,but rather a

'puce' color(odd that after 10 years I remember his exact word).This team was a tragic story in their first season,as they began 1-5 and the owner told me he was giving up on them.I held a quick dispersal draft and restocked his team from the waiver wire of players let go to obtain Spartan players.Miami finished 2-14 with the worst record in the league and almost no real superstars on the roster.The next season they were picked-up by a friend who missed out on season 1 and they came back with a completely knew identity.

HOME:

Miami_Spartans_Home.jpg

ROAD:

Miami_Spartans_Road.jpg

98Falcons.png

Only a few teams left!This is the Milwaukee Thunderdogs.The owner of this team was the same as the Jacksonville Rockets,and the two teams were polar opposites.

While the Rockets had flashier uniforms and ran the 'run-and-shoot' offense,the

'T-Dogs' were plain and ran the option.Their coach was Lou Holtz.They led the league in rushing but were last in passing and their defense was lacking,leading to a 5-11 finish.For season 2 and beyond they had dropped Holtz,switched to a west-coast style offense,re-done the uniforms,and moved to Minnesota.They are represented by Steve Young and Marcus Allen.

HOME:

Milwaukee_Thunderdogs_Home.jpg

ROAD:

Milwaukee_Thunderdogs_Road.jpg

98Falcons.png

Here are the league runners-up,the Kansas City Kiss.They lost the 'Dream Bowl'

33-27 to San Jose in 3 OT's.They were loaded with many of the Steelers Super Bowl contributers including their big 3 on offense.The Kiss were 14-2 and rolled through the regular season,leading the league in offense,scoring,and wins.They

started the whole alternate jersey trend in this league and were the reason Baltimore and San Jose had theirs.When I saw the 1996 NFL pre-season my jaw literally hit the floor upon seeing the Baltimore Ravens.In fact when they were shown on Sportcenter that night the guy that owned this team actually called me up and in our best 'Wayne's World' voices it was something like "weeeeeeiiiiird!!!"

They are represented here by Terry Bradshaw(who was the league's MVP),Franco

Harris,and Lynn Swann.

HOME:

Kansas_City_Kiss_Home.jpg

ROAD:

Kansas_City_Kiss_Road.jpg

ALTERNATE:

Kansas_City_Kiss_Alternates.jpg

98Falcons.png

I nwever did make a band concept for a football team, although I have considered it.

It could look quite good in Madden.

I however did do uniforms for TV shows--well 2 anyway--The Prisoner and the original Star Trek.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Here is the 16th and final team from the RFL's inaugura season, the Dream Bowl Champion San Jose Stingrays.They 'Rays began the season 3-2 and were 5-3 at the halfway mark of the season and went on to finish 11-5.They benefittef the most from the break-up of the Miami Spartans and also from a lot of studying of old almanacs by their owner,trying to find some hidden-gems to sign mid-season to help his club,which it ultimately did.The 'Rays are represented here by Randall Cunningham and Freeman McNeil.They were the 3rd RFl team to have an alternate and did so simply because the Kansas City Kiss had one.The owners of the 2 teams were neighbors and friends but also fiercely competitive with one another.

HOME:

San_Jose_Stingrays_Home.jpg

ROAD:

San_Jose_Stingrays_Road.jpg

ALTERNATE:

San_Jose_Stingrays_Alternates.jpg

98Falcons.png

Well,there ya have it.I will post the changes and the expansion teams from Season 2 within a couple of months,but not now as I dont want to flood the board with this stuff.What'd I'd really love to see is some of you guys trying your hand at updates of these original 16,just to see how you enivisioned them evolving over the 10 years.Just an idea!Well thanks for the positive comments and cool stories about other fantasy leagues formed,I enjoyed re-doing these 10 years later and posting for you guys to see.

98Falcons.png

Archived