Eastern Washington Red turf

lenardo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EWU competes in Division 1-AA so they don?t do the bowl thing. They were a playoff team last year, are ranked this year and have a number of players in the NFL. Roos with the Titans, Nichols with the Cowboys and Overbay with the Broncos. Since the announcement, EWU a small regional university has had articles done on the field in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal and ESPN. I heard today that the webcam they have has over 1.4 million hits. If the turf were green, none of this happens. Though a WSU fan, I wish EWU well. If you go to their website, you will see Colin Cowherd of ESPN selling season tickets! Again, all because of the RED.

EWU had a poll that closed two days ago to choose an official nickname for the turf. The official choice will be revealed before the start of the first game on the new turf September 18th.

Among the choices were: Big Red, Inferno, Red Zone, Red Carpet, Red Sea, Ring of Fire & Lava Pit. As of the end of the 11th, Inferno was the leading vote getter.

Here's a shot of the field with the yard markers & end zones:

374508_G.jpg

EWU had a poll that closed two days ago to choose an official nickname for the turf. The official choice will be revealed before the start of the first game on the new turf September 18th.

Among the choices were: Big Red, Inferno, Red Zone, Red Carpet, Red Sea, Ring of Fire & Lava Pit. As of the end of the 11th, Inferno was the leading vote getter.

374508_G.jpg

That shot doesn't look too bad, probably because it's cloudy outside. With the sun shining though, that's gotta be impossible to see on.

6fQjS3M.png

That shot doesn't look too bad, probably because it's cloudy outside. With the sun shining though, that's gotta be impossible to see on.

Its Washington. The sun comes out maybe 4 times a year

Smurf turf vs the "Red Rug" - kinda cool looking!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Its Washington. The sun comes out maybe 4 times a year

Except its eastern washington, much different than western washington. It actually does get a lot of sun, so I will be interested to see how looks in person with the glare.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

They spent how much on a stadium that seats about 12,000?

That's the best part. The entire project has been paid for through private donations. Including $500,000 from this guy:

2008611594.jpg

Michael Roos of the Tennessee Titans, and his wife, who went to EWU as well.

Apparently, he REALLY wants to see that red turf.

SIGNATURE.png

Too gimmicky for serious athletics...I could see this happening for a one time event or bowl game, but otherwise its silly...same thing goes for Boise State.

I agree that it seems a little gimmicky, but it seems way too expensive for a one-off or bowl game, as you suggest. The site (and It Needs A BOW) indicates EWU/NFL alumni Michael Roos put up half a mil just to get it started...

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

374508_G.jpg

I think it looks amazing. I'm glad another team is trying to be spread apart from the pack. I always thought a black turf would look sweet but it would probably get really hot. I'm all for new and different ideas though.

spacer.png

374508_G.jpg

I think it looks amazing. I'm glad another team is trying to be spread apart from the pack. I always thought a black turf would look sweet but it would probably get really hot. I'm all for new and different ideas though.

I don't have a problem with "different"...so long as it doesn't completely suck.

That being said...I have a problem with THIS turf.

Their site says that it was funded solely by private donations. I'm sure many students would revolt if it were from their tuition.

Which goes to show that some people have more money than eyes....

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived