Eastern Washington Red turf

lenardo

I always thought a black turf would look sweet but it would probably get really hot.

i went to a college game in september in NC (it was about 88 degrees and really sunny that day) and stood on the green field turf...the playing surface was so hot that i couldn't stand on it in my flip flops for more than a few seconds...you could feel the heat radiating off of the surface from 5 to 10 feet away - i couldn't imagine playing on a green surface - black turf would be unbearable anywhere outside of the arctic circle

jldesigns404eo.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like the old AstroTurf, most of the new artificial turf reflects heat at least 10-15 degrees hotter than air temperature. In the blazing summer, you also get to inhale the wonderful aroma of burnt plastic and rubber.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If they wear all red (helmet, jersey, pants, socks) they could be the invisible team. Great for defense. Horrible for offense.

If it's that much of an advantage, then why aren't there more teams that wear all green (helmets, jersey, pants, socks) to match the color of grass?

They probably would if it weren't for the horrible disadvantage on offense (you couldn't see your receivers).

I do think that Nike/Oregon should create a uniform that is all grass green in the front and all neon yellow on the back. That way defense would be camo and on offense, the qb could see receivers running their routes. Rough idea below.

oregoncamo.jpg

Just like the old AstroTurf, most of the new artificial turf reflects heat at least 10-15 degrees hotter than air temperature. In the blazing summer, you also get to inhale the wonderful aroma of burnt plastic and rubber.

All artificial turf sucks, regardless of what generation it is.

If they wear all red (helmet, jersey, pants, socks) they could be the invisible team. Great for defense. Horrible for offense.

If it's that much of an advantage, then why aren't there more teams that wear all green (helmets, jersey, pants, socks) to match the color of grass?

They probably would if it weren't for the horrible disadvantage on offense (you couldn't see your receivers).

I do think that Nike/Oregon should create a uniform that is all grass green in the front and all neon yellow on the back. That way defense would be camo and on offense, the qb could see receivers running their routes. Rough idea below.

oregoncamo.jpg

These uniforms would like to have a say in how bad an idea that would be:

byu-bibs.jpg

For a laugh I like to see some random team do a pink in the rink style event where the turf was all pink, either that or a tie dye field. Your eyes would be abused in ways you eyes have never been abused before

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Boise State's field is horrible and EWU's is worse. You guys who are designers, don't these fields fail the first test, functionality? As in part of functionality being the ease and/or pleasure of watching the game? I don't know how anybody watches a quarter on these fields much less an entire game.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Boise State's field is horrible and EWU's is worse. You guys who are designers, don't these fields fail the first test, functionality? As in part of functionality being the ease and/or pleasure of watching the game? I don't know how anybody watches a quarter on these fields much less an entire game.

Boise State's blue functions much better on TV than I imagine the EWU red will. The red will most likely blind a person watching it. The blue is just weird, but not necessarily non-functional. I still get visual pleasure from watching a Boise State home game because it is different.

Now that EWU is introducing colored turf, I'm afraid many more fields will follow the same road. When that happens, the uniqueness of the colored-turf will wear off and it'll be just awful. Until then, let's enjoy Boise State's blue, and try not to cry when we see EWU's red.

Archived