New Cleveland Cav Uniforms.

charger77

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're pretty boring IMO, but at least I like the font now. Are the official uni's gonna have that "sleeveless T-shirt" look, or are they gonna be like the drawings and look more like a traditional jersey?

I think this unveiling, coupled with the Jazz unveiling the same week, has made 'boring and uninspired' (and variations thereof) my new least-favorite buzzphrase(s). Seems like that's the go-to line for anything that doesn't have oversized graphics, slick logos and never-before-seen side panel designs. The phrase itself has become boring and uninspired. These uniforms, however, look just as good today as they would have if they were introduced in 1950. That's called 'timeless.'

I'll never understand how, at the same time, the Celtics can be 'classic' while the Cavaliers are 'boring and uninspired' with largely the same general uniform design.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Why is boring and uninspired the 'new' look?

This looks like the generic font that adidas uses on every sports shirt they sell.

These look like high school jerseys when schools didn't actually spend anything on high school jerseys. Terrible. Zero identity.

I hate the Cavs, but their last set was nice. Leave it alone.

I'll never understand how, at the same time, the Celtics can be 'classic' while the Cavaliers are 'boring and uninspired' with largely the same general uniform design.

Simple - the Celtics never changed to more modern and interesting looks over the years like the Cavs did. Now that we've all been spoiled (as LeBron would say) for a couple decades by Cavaliers uniforms with interesting and creative elements, it just feels like a cheap cop-out for them to suddenly go to a very simple look.

It'd be like if Boise State went back to a more classic set like the one on this page. You'd probably rejoice, but it just doesn't work for Boise anymore. They're a modern-uniform school now, just like the Cavs are a modern-uniform team.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Simple - the Celtics never changed to more modern and interesting looks over the years like the Cavs did. Now that we've all been spoiled (as LeBron would say) for a couple decades by Cavaliers uniforms with interesting and creative elements, it just feels like a cheap cop-out for them to suddenly go to a very simple look.

It'd be like if Boise State went back to a more classic set like the one on this page. You'd probably rejoice, but it just doesn't work for Boise anymore. They're a modern-uniform school now, just like the Cavs are a modern-uniform team.

I am going to play Devil's Advocate for a post or two here...

Your comment is a bit of a contradiction. You praise the Celtics for having a simple design, but bash the Cavs for having a simple design, based solely on history of the uniform. If a uniform style is simple and uninspired, it is simple and uninspired regardless of history or franchise. By saying the Celtics uniforms are great, but Cavs are not... you are basically giving varying degrees of simple and uninspired. The whole thing would be a confusion of contradictions and comparisons (How's that for alliteration?).

Flip the scripts... If Boston has started with something simple, then changed to more modern like this: http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=zezk7ayhkdhl9sjapyfeq0tup last season, and then went back to the current http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=qra9pqwwvxuioc1bt17qkjk2e style, would it still be simple and uninspired? Or would it be praised for its return to glory? (Please don't cry about 'Oh well the Cavs history is nothing like the Celtics history!' Well, no :censored:, that's not what we are comparing)

It seems you are basing the design of a uniform on how many titles rather than the actual design of the uniform. So in actuality... you are grading history, not the design.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I find it hilarious that Cleveland really changed their whole color scheme and jerseys just to get the name "LeBron James" wiped out of the city. Not to mention they created possibly the worst uniforms I've seen in a while.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

It seems you are basing the design of a uniform on how many titles rather than the actual design of the uniform. So in actuality... you are grading history, not the design.

This is an excellent point, but to play devil's advocate again here, I would have to argue that there's something mystical about a team's legacy of greatness that is reflected in its uniforms, an intrinsic greatness so to speak. For instance, when someone visualizes the Canadians hoisting the Stanley Cup - it has always been in the same uniform (I don't think there was mass media around when they won it in their earlier sweaters), so when one thinks of their unis, they automatically associate them with greatness.

Same goes for the Celtics and Lakers. I think that's where the term "Classy" plays into their uniform design... They're associated with winning, so that makes them timeless and awesome. If you take a nonchalant uniform of a team (see: the Clippers) that haven't done squat at all in their post-Buffalo existence, it doesn't evoke those same feelings, and their uniforms are thus not as "great."

Same goes for the Cavs. They haven't accomplished ANYTHING in their uniforms, so they look kind of bland...

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I find it hilarious that Cleveland really changed their whole color scheme and jerseys just to get the name "LeBron James" wiped out of the city. Not to mention they created possibly the worst uniforms I've seen in a while.

I find it hilarious how little you know. Uniform change requests has to be in at least 1 season before they are scheduled to be worn.

They didn't change their colors, they just returned to the original shades of the wine and gold. A change of color would have been if they went to purple, green, and black.

Again with the worst uniform... coming from a Celtics fan, both teams having simple styled jerseys.

I guess it isn't worth it. Boston fans are a pain.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

This is an excellent point, but to play devil's advocate again here, I would have to argue that there's something mystical about a team's legacy of greatness that is reflected in its uniforms, an intrinsic greatness so to speak. For instance, when someone visualizes the Canadians hoisting the Stanley Cup - it has always been in the same uniform (I don't think there was mass media around when they won it in their earlier sweaters), so when one thinks of their unis, they automatically associate them with greatness.

Same goes for the Celtics and Lakers. I think that's where the term "Classy" plays into their uniform design... They're associated with winning, so that makes them timeless and awesome. If you take a nonchalant uniform of a team (see: the Clippers) that haven't done squat at all in their post-Buffalo existence, it doesn't evoke those same feelings, and their uniforms are thus not as "great."

Same goes for the Cavs. They haven't accomplished ANYTHING in their uniforms, so they look kind of bland...

Again... you are judging history rather than the style of the uniform. The is no real way to make this an unbiased grading because of the legacy of the Celtics... If you switched the names on the front, what would be more or less inspired? Or would they be equally simple and uninspired?

Your comment is a bit of a contradiction. You praise the Celtics for having a simple design,

I didn't even give an opinion on Boston's uniforms, but since you asked, I find the Celtics' uniforms dreadfully boring too.

but bash the Cavs for having a simple design, based solely on history of the uniform. If a uniform style is simple and uninspired, it is simple and uninspired regardless of history or franchise.

I said nothing about the history of the Cavs' franchise. I merely made the point that they've had modern (for the times) and interesting looks throughout the past thirty years. Switching back to boring and simplistic after decades of exciting and trendy just doesn't work, regardless of how many games you win.

By saying the Celtics uniforms are great, but Cavs are not... you are basically giving varying degrees of simple and uninspired. The whole thing would be a confusion of contradictions and comparisons (How's that for alliteration?).

I never said the Celtics' uniforms were great. Again, I loathe them.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Let's not forget how awful the Cavs' primary is now.

Agreed.

The Cavaliers, much like my Anaheim Ducks, have a horrid wordmark logo... One of the worst in the league (Thunder, Mavericks, Bobcats and Suns being some others that come to mind.) But then again, in the NBA, horrible logos are the norm.

I, for one, love what the Cavs have done. Nothing flashy. Nothing gaudy. Just simple and to-the-point. I applaud the change. I also love how they have a uniform design that evokes the same yawning sensation that the post-LeFraud Cavaliers team is likely to produce.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Let's not forget how awful the Cavs' primary is now.

Agreed.

The Cavaliers, much like my Anaheim Ducks, have a horrid wordmark logo... One of the worst in the league (Thunder, Mavericks, Bobcats and Suns being some others that come to mind.) But then again, in the NBA, horrible logos are the norm.

I, for one, love what the Cavs have done. Nothing flashy. Nothing gaudy. Just simple and to-the-point. I applaud the change. I also love how they have a uniform design that evokes the same yawning sensation that the post-LeFraud Cavaliers team is likely to produce.

Worst in the league? You've got to be kidding.

I'll agree with you that terrible logos are the norm in the NBA but the Cavaliers are one of the few exceptions. The logo looked great in the LeBron era and it looks even better now with the deeper wine, and brighter yellow. Every NBA logo has a wordmark so im not sure why its a big deal that Cavs have one...

As for the jerseys, Im not too impressed. The LeBron era jereys, minus the Blue Alt and the Million throwbacks, looked spectacular. Modern yet simple and understated.

As someone who loves most things "throwback", "classic", "simple", etc., these new Cavs unis are right up my alley. I like them a lot. It's really too bad hardly anyone will actually see them in use. I wouldn't say they're a huge upgrade (I also liked the previous set) or a huge downgrade. They're just new and they look great if you ask me. I like these better than their previous look but that's just because I like "simple and boring."

BB52Big.jpg

Archived