White jersey at home for the NFL 2010 season

gothedistance

1997 vs. Raiders, Broncos and Eagles; 1998 vs. Panthers; 1999 vs. Ravens; 2000 vs. Giants and Panthers; 2002 vs. Bengals; 2003 vs. Vikings.

moss_2003_catch.jpg

Add this to the already stuffed file of "TFoA's Cases of Idiocy." :P

Isn't that Ray Buchanan defending? He looks like the flame of Atlanta in that pic, what with getting torched and all. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the possibilities the following teams wear white for at least one home game this year?

Chicago

Arizona

New England

New York Jets

Cleveland

Jacksonville

Oakland

Raiders have only wore white at home twice, and it was the past two seasons vs San Diego. They only wore it last year because it was an AFL legacy game.

I know some teams wear white at home becasue its so hot where they play, but it never gets too hot in the Bay Area

The strangest season was the 1980 season. Non-traditional "white" teams like Baltimore, the Giants and Kansas City wore white at home.

Here is a list of teams that wore white:

Baltimore

New England

Buffalo

Miami

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Denver

Kansas City

San Diego

New York Giants

Dallas

St. Louis

Philadelphia (NFC Championship Game)

Tampa Bay

Atlanta

Los Angeles

I think it'd be even more interesting to go back and look at the 1993-'96 seasons to see how few teams wore white at home. Other than the obvious Dallas/Washington/Miami, I'm thinking it was Philly, Arizona,Cleveland, *maybe* San Diego and I think that may be it.

And let's not forget the one-off time that Green Bay wore white at home in 1989.

98Falcons.png

It was...September of 2002 on ESPN and they blew them out 30-3. I wasn't able to watch though because I was at a concert that night, so I kept calling this number (I think it was 1-800-tell me) to get the updates.

98Falcons.png

In 1980, I was wrong about Los Angeles. They wore white in 1978 and 1979. The Jets, who were given permission to play at Shea Stadium early in the season, had previously worn white at home early in the season (1978 vs. Seattle for example). New Orleans went back to wearing white at home the next year. Also, two important uniform changes that year - Denver got rid of orange pants they wore during '78 and '78, and Houston eliminated blue pants and wore all white on the road.

The Chargers have worn white at their last three home openers.

Since Norv Turner became their head coach. Most likely they'll do it against the Jaguars. Maybe against the Cardinals too if they feel the necessity.

I think it'd be even more interesting to go back and look at the 1993-'96 seasons to see how few teams wore white at home. Other than the obvious Dallas/Washington/Miami, I'm thinking it was Philly, Arizona,Cleveland, *maybe* San Diego and I think that may be it.

And let's not forget the one-off time that Green Bay wore white at home in 1989.

The Eagles, Cardinals, and Browns yes.

New England wore white at home in 1994. They were in throwbacks. The Chargers, I don't think they did in that span.

Some other teams who wore white in that span. Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, New York Jets, and Los Angeles Rams.

Actually, it happened twice in '89. Packers wore white at home vs. Tampa in Week 1 and New Orleans in Week 2. Lost to the Bucs, beat the Saints in Week 2.

You're right about Lo Angeles in 1980 - week 15 vs. Dallas.

I have "Portrait of a Season" which is a coffee table NFL book about the 1980 season. It has at least one photo from every game played that year.

Its funny about the Giants. They gave up wearing white against Dallas at home. I have to say I liked their old 70's uniform with the blue pants and wide stripes/

I liked the Denver burnt orange pants too. The orange they wear now is too bight to wear as pants

Yeah I have thought about it. The Giants stopped wearing white at home against the Cowboys in 1988.

If the Colts wear their throwbacks again, that will be white at home right? The Texans and Bengals game is a confirm. Indy is in blue for those games. Six games that you can guess when the throwbacks will be worn again.

The Broncos are said to be wearing their alternate orange at KC. Is it most likely a white at home game for the Chiefs or will it be a double dark game?

I memorized Tampa Bays pattern. Their white at home routine lasts to the end of October. At least since the Jon Gruden days and in their championship season. The Buccaneers have 2 games that are confirmed for 2010.

The Broncos are said to be wearing their alternate orange at KC. Is it most likely a white at home game for the Chiefs or will it be a double dark game

KC will probably be wearing white at home. Not like it's without precedent in the AFC West. The Chargers wore white at home against the Panthers...who wore their blue alts.

c090808_400.jpg

So maybe KC will go back to white? If KC was to wear red & the Broncos in orange, that'd be a clash, plus I don't think that the NFL allows for double dark games unless it's throwbacks.

BTW, this is a cool thread. Thanks for the research.

So sad. Those orange britches were awesome.

The Broncos road uniforms are so nondescript now - they could use some more orange in them.

I've maintained since they got the orange alts that it would only be right for the Broncos to make their orange alternate jersey into their primary home jersey & make the blue one the alt. As good as the Broncos look right now, they would look better (and just plain right) in orange.

The Chiefs wore their all white combination for their last two road games last year. That excludes the Raiders game which was a throwback game. It seems to be well recieved. Maybe the Chiefs are using the all white combination as an alternate for home games in 2010?

A few teams have worn their alternates on the road in some instances. The Panthers have worn their light blue alternates on the road on multiple ocassions.

Every team in the AFC West has worn white at home. Since the league realignment in 2002, all AFC West teams has at least done so for one game.

Archived