White jersey at home for the NFL 2010 season

gothedistance

I contacted a represenative from the Chicago Bears website. I asked if the Bears will wear white against the Lions for their home opener like they have done from 2005-2007. He said that the Bears will wear their dark blue jerseys for their home opener against the Lions.

He also said the scheme works and Rex is our quarterback. You should've hung up and fled the room screaming.

How appropriate that they really are wearing white after all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's mocking the bears. Lighten up, Francis.

I felt awkward. Forgive me. When I contacted the represenative I did it through e-mail, just to let it be known.

How appropriate that they really are wearing white after all.

The Bears last two home opener were on September the 20th against the Steelers in 09 and the 21st against the Buccaeers in 08. Chicago went with navy. I suppose it isn't warm in Chicago once it gets around those dates. The date for the game against the Lions is early and still in the summer I guess.

I think there is a chance that the Patriots will wear white for Week 1 at home vs. Bengals. The Patriots offense has been practicing in white jerseys this week...the offense usually practices in the color jersey they intend to wear for the actual game.

The Patriots wore white for early season day home games back in 2008. It didn't go so well. They won against the Chiefs, but Tom Brady was knocked out for the season in that one. Then against the Dolphins, they were crushed to end their record-setting streak of regular season victories.

BTW, I know the Bengals site claims they will wear white for Week 1, but they have been wrong in the past. Even this year, they have the Bengals wearing white at Carolina, and that has been confirmed as incorrect.

Adding to what you said. Yeah, the Chiefs game was when Matt Cassel took over for Brady who would not play again for the 2008 season. The Dolphins game was the game where Miami introduced the Wildcat Offense and Ronnie Brown had a career game.

You're right. The Bengals site has been wrong before. I remember the Bengals site in 2007 listed them as wearing white in Miami.

The Patriots will be wearing white for the season opener at home against Cincinnati, who will wear their black jerseys. (I'd also like to note that the Patriots have only worn white for their home opener one other time in the Tom Brady era...in 2008. We know what happened during that game. I'm surprised they're doing it again.)

There was another one. It was two games in 2008 when the Patriots donned white for a home game.

Now that a couple more stuff is revealed we are close to getting the average amount of teams wearing white at home a year.

Dallas

Miami

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Chicago

New England

Cincinnati

Houston

Tennessee

San Diego

Philadelphia

That's 12. We need to get 2 or 3 more to get to the average of 14 or 15 teams who wear white at home in a season. Most of them are confirmed. Except for San Diego and Philadelphia but they should do it given their recent patterns.

Kansas City is indicated of wearing white at home againt the Broncos on December 5th. We'll find out if that is true or not. Then there is the Colts. Who have their white throwbacks. If they wear them again at some point in the regular season, Indy joins the group of white at home.

I just don't get why you'd wear white for the home opener,

when you've worn the colored jerseys consistantly for years.

I do like the Dolphins method of white for the 1 or 4 pm starts and aqua for the night home games.

Which teams do you have in mind about wearing their colored jersey consistently for years? I think the decison is up to whoever is the coach of the team.

The Patriots have worn white at home for early season games when it is played in the daytime starting in 2008. I know NE had a silver jersey before which is treated as a white jersey.

I didn't expect the Jets to wear white at home against the Ravens. It is a night game. Looks like the Jets join the list of white at home teams.

After wearing white for the opening night game, this Sunday against the Patriots - a game played in the afternoon of what is predicted to be a quite sunny and warm day -- it is confirmed that the Jets will wear green.

I didn't expect the Jets to wear white at home against the Ravens. It is a night game. Looks like the Jets join the list of white at home teams.

The Jets wearing white Monday night made as much sense as the Cardinals wearing white against the Texans last year, when they now play in a climate-controlled stadium...or the Saints or any other dome team wearing white at home at all. :cursing:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

The Jets wearing white Monday night made as much sense as the Cardinals wearing white against the Texans last year, when they now play in a climate-controlled stadium...or the Saints or any other dome team wearing white at home at all. :cursing:

The Cardinals wore white at home last year because when they participated in the Breast Cancer awareness, the players thought the pink accented items looked better on white.

The Jets wearing white Monday night made as much sense as the Saints or any other dome team wearing white at home at all. :cursing:

This Saints fan agrees.

I just don't get why you'd wear white for the home opener,

when you've worn the colored jerseys consistantly for years.

I do like the Dolphins method of white for the 1 or 4 pm starts and aqua for the night home games.

Which teams do you have in mind about wearing their colored jersey consistently for years? I think the decison is up to whoever is the coach of the team.

The Patriots have worn white at home for early season games when it is played in the daytime starting in 2008. I know NE had a silver jersey before which is treated as a white jersey.

The Bears every year until 2005, KC 1981-2005, the 49ers 1980 through today, and the Pats from 1991-2007.

Why they did it in the 2008 opener vs KC, I have no idea.

The silver is the alternate, and I understand the usage of that at home, so the fans could see it in person.

sig-1.png

Gotta say, I was a little shocked at the Bengals game today (in Cincinnati) when the Ravens were donned in purple and the Bengals in white. Is this a new trend (in general) for 2010? I honestly don't pay enough attention to the NFL to know if it is or not.

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

FWIW, this appeared in a recent 'Saints Mailbag' on nola.com:

===

Q: Are the Saints going to continue wearing the White jersey at home and the reason for doing so? Keith, N.O.

A: The Saints have primarily worn white jerseys at home in the Sean Payton era. The players decide which jerseys they want to wear each week and I think they prefer white simply because of superstition. They've been winning with them so why change? But they'll continue to switch up their combinations, as they have in the past. I'm sure they'll break out the all-black uniforms before the season is over.

===

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

===

Q: Are the Saints going to continue wearing the White jersey at home and the reason for doing so? Keith, N.O.

A: The Saints have primarily worn white jerseys at home in the Sean Payton era. The players decide which jerseys they want to wear each week and I think they prefer white simply because of superstition. They've been winning with them so why change? But they'll continue to switch up their combinations, as they have in the past. I'm sure they'll break out the all-black uniforms before the season is over.

===

What game do you think the Saints will start wearing black? I think either the Steelers game or Browns game.

===

===

What game do you think the Saints will start wearing black? I think either the Steelers game or Browns game.

The Steelers game would be about right. Not that it really matters, but as an opponent, psychologically I'd rather play the Steelers in their road unis.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived