New NFL on Fox Graphics

patsox

If anyone's interested, NFL Network is currently re-airing the game in HD and SD, but interestingly on the SD channel there are no black bars.

Last night I switched over to the SD Fox channel, and there were no black bars on there either. Anyone else not have black bars on their SD stations?

This was on FOX 56 out of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

I was switching on comcast just to see how it looked, and on the SD channel it was black bars...did you have a different carrier?

Yeah, we have CATV Service, Inc. out of Danville, PA. On Friday, though, I was in State College and checked the Eagles game out (on Fox 56) using Windstream cable service and it was the same way. Fox 8 on Windstream had the bars, though, so I figured it was a Fox 56 issue as opposed to a cable provider issue.

One Thing I noticed with Fox 56 is when looking on Comcast, it has the standard widescreen look, and when on Directv or anything else, No bars, kinda odd

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone's interested, NFL Network is currently re-airing the game in HD and SD, but interestingly on the SD channel there are no black bars.

Last night I switched over to the SD Fox channel, and there were no black bars on there either. Anyone else not have black bars on their SD stations?

This was on FOX 56 out of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

I was switching on comcast just to see how it looked, and on the SD channel it was black bars...did you have a different carrier?

Yeah, we have CATV Service, Inc. out of Danville, PA. On Friday, though, I was in State College and checked the Eagles game out (on Fox 56) using Windstream cable service and it was the same way. Fox 8 on Windstream had the bars, though, so I figured it was a Fox 56 issue as opposed to a cable provider issue.

One Thing I noticed with Fox 56 is when looking on Comcast, it has the standard widescreen look, and when on Directv or anything else, No bars, kinda odd

I don't know if you have it out there, but Verizon FiOs has bars.

I know its 2010 and everything is about HD and computer graphics and all that, but what's wrong with something like this:

Screenshot2010-08-23at72248PM.png

It has down & distance, that's all I need. I don't need arrows in motion that look like they're painted on the field, I don't need 3D graphics and all animations and stuff. I'm here to watch football.

This isn't to say that I'm an old curmudgeon who thinks we should pretend it's still 1970. Things like first down lines, constant time/score overlays, etc. are all great ideas.

Just keep it simple. That's all I ask. I don't need graphics flashing and popping up all over my screen.

Just because we have the capability now to do these things with graphics doesn't mean we should. Unfortunately, it's like each network tries to one-up one another with a "now it's your move" type of game.

This FOX bug works by the way.

I agree with the general idea with your post. The FOX bug could do with less flashing and whatnot and I could definitely do without the down and distance graphic on the field. I've gotten so used to having the score, quarter, and time up at all times though that I have to have it though.

If I'm just tuning in, I, one: can only tell it's 4th and goal. Two: I have no idea who is winning, or what quarter it is, OR who much time is left in the game.

I DID say that I do like things like constant score overlays, clock, first down lines, etc.

I just meant instead of all these arrows and animations and whatnot, what's wrong with just displaying "2nd and 8" or something?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I know its 2010 and everything is about HD and computer graphics and all that, but what's wrong with something like this:

Screenshot2010-08-23at72248PM.png

It has down & distance, that's all I need. I don't need arrows in motion that look like they're painted on the field, I don't need 3D graphics and all animations and stuff. I'm here to watch football.

This isn't to say that I'm an old curmudgeon who thinks we should pretend it's still 1970. Things like first down lines, constant time/score overlays, etc. are all great ideas.

Just keep it simple. That's all I ask. I don't need graphics flashing and popping up all over my screen.

Just because we have the capability now to do these things with graphics doesn't mean we should. Unfortunately, it's like each network tries to one-up one another with a "now it's your move" type of game.

This FOX bug works by the way.

I agree with the general idea with your post. The FOX bug could do with less flashing and whatnot and I could definitely do without the down and distance graphic on the field. I've gotten so used to having the score, quarter, and time up at all times though that I have to have it though.

If I'm just tuning in, I, one: can only tell it's 4th and goal. Two: I have no idea who is winning, or what quarter it is, OR who much time is left in the game.

I DID say that I do like things like constant score overlays, clock, first down lines, etc.

I just meant instead of all these arrows and animations and whatnot, what's wrong with just displaying "2nd and 8" or something?

I agree. As a viewer I get the feeling that there is a lot of insider to all that stuff. That the people producing the telecast are interested in all that new technology and just want to use it for the sake of using it even though it doesn't add anything for the viewer who cares about the game, not what new tv technology exist.

It is the same way when the networks make a big deal about who is announcing the game. For example last year in the playoffs NBC made a big deal about Joe Thiesmann and Joe Gibbs being together for the Jets-Bengals game. I'm pretty sure that drew in a total of 0 additional viewers. People tune in to watch the game, not some talk fest about the past about a team not even involved in the current game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last time they tried just the logos, wasn't it switched back to the 3 or 2 team abbreviation before the regular season started? The logo then slid over the abbreviation when something happened (scoring, penalty, etc.).

In 2003 during the regular season they went with logos only, but in the playoffs they went back to abbreviations. Here is the 2003 graphic.

220px-NFL_on_FOX_score_banner.jpg

Ahhhh, OK... I remember that now!! Thanks.

I agree. As a viewer I get the feeling that there is a lot of insider to all that stuff. That the people producing the telecast are interested in all that new technology and just want to use it for the sake of using it even though it doesn't add anything for the viewer who cares about the game, not what new tv technology exist.

It is the same way when the networks make a big deal about who is announcing the game. For example last year in the playoffs NBC made a big deal about Joe Thiesmann and Joe Gibbs being together for the Jets-Bengals game. I'm pretty sure that drew in a total of 0 additional viewers. People tune in to watch the game, not some talk fest about the past about a team not even involved in the current game.

It actually could've driven away viewers in my opinion...

I really thought Fox got the scorebug right last year, save for all the needless little sci-fi bleeps and bloops that accompanied every change of possession or score or whatever. I don't understand how you need to hear a kick return beyond the general ambient sounds of a kick being returned. How does "errrrRROOOWeerp. chk-chnk! brrrruppp!" elucidate anything?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Fox's new box isn't perfect, but it's a huge upgrade from what they had the past few years. I never understood the love for that score bar. It covered so much of the screen and gave so much less information than its counterparts on other networks. Why did we need the solid gray bar all the way across the screen? Why the shading above the box? All wasted space. That monstrosity was like a giant curtain hovering over the action all game long.

Side note: To those who expressed disgust with NBC's revamped down and distance arrow on the field, THANK YOU. The on-field arrow has always been a nuisance to me (why do we need an arrow on the field with down and distance when the exact same info is already in the score box/bar?), but this new NBC arrow takes the cake. Trying to shoehorn the team logos in just makes it such a cluttered mess. Which is a shame, because I'm a big fan of the rest of their graphics package.

I really thought Fox got the scorebug right last year, save for all the needless little sci-fi bleeps and bloops that accompanied every change of possession or score or whatever. I don't understand how you need to hear a kick return beyond the general ambient sounds of a kick being returned. How does "errrrRROOOWeerp. chk-chnk! brrrruppp!" elucidate anything?

I agree the noises are awful, but the whole package was terrible last year. I don't need a bar going across the entire screen. Just one small box in a top corner.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

Actually in my dream world all the scorebugs would be like the one they used on the Olympics this past winter for hockey.

Or at least NBC used the same scorebug just like thier NHL coverage and if FOX had the NHL the new scorebug would be perfect.

BTW

I know its preseason but is it weird that FOX is doing a AFC game this Sunday.

Actually in my dream world all the scorebugs would be like the one they used on the Olympics this past winter for hockey.

Or at least NBC used the same scorebug just like thier NHL coverage and if FOX had the NHL the new scorebug would be perfect.

BTW

I know its preseason but is it weird that FOX is doing a AFC game this Sunday.

That is weird...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

What about Cleveland? Are they gonna use that Bulldog alt logo? Or just a nice big ol' orangy-brown blob on the scorebug?

They could use the helmet logo:

Cleveland_Browns_Helmet.jpg

OK, time to nitpick. Why is that particular logo the helmet logo? Does that facemask look like the profile view of any mask that has ever been worn?

The closest I can come up with is the Dan Marino facemask that was mildly popular among QBs and TEs in the 1980s, but the middle horizontal bar of the facemask is different:

danmarino.jpg

If it's not that, it could be a really sloppy/droopy representation of the facemask worn by Tom Brady and others:

300px-Tom_Brady.JPG

I think it's pretty dumb to use a helmet with no logo as a logo. But if they're committed to going that route, the least they could do is pick a helmet graphic that, you know, actually looks like a helmet.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

That facemask in the Browns logo is actually fairly common for QBs dating back to the early '90s. Here's an example:

kosar-bernie-cvb-1.jpg

And if you're talking about the helmet logo for the Browns, this is the one they use now:

2ioheczrkmc2ibc42c9r.gif

Same facemask as the logo above, but the helmet is at an angle now instead of a straight profile.

A very strange experience is to watch a game from back before they had any graphics at all, aside from showing the score going into/out of commercials. I have a DVD of a 1977 game between the Saints and Bears at Soldier Field and it's weird. We really don't realize how dependent we are on the graphics or how nice it is to have them.

Another interesting aspect is how different the commercial break timing was, more like a regular TV show with commercial breaks every X number of minutes. In other words, commercials did not come on after every punt or kickoff or score. It took a few more years before somebody at the networks figured out they could rake in more revenue instead of showing the teams running on and off the field after a change of possession. Which would be fine with me if it was one or two commercials. My issue is that the TV timeouts are all so ridiculously long.

You really notice that when you go to a game and the players are standing around waiting for the guy with the flourescent orange gloves to signal they're good to go.

medium_bob-sevel-timeouts-brown%20s.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Another issue caused by the scrunchbox is the placement of the two lines of closed-captioning text. At the start of last night's Pitt-Den game, the CC was toward the top of the screen. But there, it covered up the down/distance line when the score was scrunched or covered the home score when it was unscrunched.

Later in the game, they moved it to bottom third, where it covers up the on-field down/distance arrow. Didn't see enough of the game to tell what they did when they showed lower-third graphics.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Archived