NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

Thanks to everyone for commenting. This one definitely had its issues--most of them minor--but I'm still fairly content with how it came out, especially after how many changes it went through during the process. Again, the colors were dulled a little in the conversion to .png, so both the purple and amber should be a little brighter than they appear.

Anyway, we'll call the Rockies done. Next team up shortly.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#11: St. Louis Eagles

St. Louis, MO // Folded 1935

Logo.png

This one is very simple and straightforward, mostly due to the name and the fact that the team only existed for one season. (There's not too much one can do with a team with such a generic name that never developed its own history or style.) The colors are red, dark steel blue, and pewter. I was originally going with just red and blue, like their only jerseys, but it ended up being very similar to the Capitals and needing some differentiation. The logo is simply a modernized update of their old logo, with a flying eagle grasping a hockey stick.

The uniforms are also pretty clean and simple. Red uniform as the home primary. The patch on the shoulders is an StL monogram with wings and crossed sticks. There's curved striping and (gasp!) piping on the sleeves, with matching striping on the waist and socks.

The alternate is all blue and features the StL logo as the crest. Simple red and pewter striping throughout. The wordmark is below the collar, and the shoulder patch is simply the eagle's head.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I love it. I was afraid when you did this concept that I might see something that said "Capitals" when I first saw it and I need not have worried. Two thumbs way up.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

That's some beautiful stuff man. You gotta be proud of yourself for this thread, it's seriously one of the best collections of concepts put together that I've seen.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Once again, another beautiful concept. That logo is amazing, and the uniforms are really solid. My only suggestions would be to eliminate the wordmark under the collar on the alternate, and to extend the body striping a little closer to the logo and numbers on the alt. Great work again!

Lot of things to like with this one. The primary looks stellar, I love it. However, as others have seemed to point out, you need to do some work with the head of the eagle. Something about it just doesn't seem to fit, probably because of the size of the head and the way it meets the body (the feathers seem to 'detatch' the head from the body, probably because of the thick blue stroke and the way the colors don't seem to flow into each other).

I think your wordmarks are getting a bit repetitive as well, and like others have said that particular font (looks like SF Big Whiskey, I love that font) seems to have been used quite often, particularly for the numbers. Nonethess, still looks and works great.

The only thing I have an issue with is the head, but excellent work regardless.

Love the simplicity and love the 3rd jersey. While it reminded me of the Caps in a send, it out Capped them if you will. Well done sir.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I'll definitely go back and look at some things, most notably the head/body junction.

I think your wordmarks are getting a bit repetitive as well, and like others have said that particular font (looks like SF Big Whiskey, I love that font) seems to have been used quite often, particularly for the numbers. Nonethess, still looks and works great.

This one was tough in terms of the wordmark. I was trying my best to keep it from looking like the Philly Eagles' mark (and it still has a bit more resemblance than I would like). Of course, I wanted to keep the wordmarks in this project more "professional" or "major league", which means I'm intentionally trying to do fewer effects, use less wacky typefaces, and use fewer colors and elements in general than I did in the minor league series. All that seriously constrains how many different looks I can create before a few may start to look a little similar.

I can tell you that I've never used Big Whiskey in this project, and (while some of them may be similar) I've never repeated a typeface in the wordmarks (and none of the custom numbers have been repeated). A majority of the wordmarks and uniforms (including the Eagles) use custom typefaces; of the 15 teams completed or currently being worked on, 8 have completely custom type, 4 use modified pre-exiting typefaces, and 3 are simply done in a pre-existing face. Of the teams I've posted so far, only the Quebec Bulldogs and the Oakland Seals use untouched, pre-existing typefaces.

All that considered, I think I've done a pretty good job keeping things varied, especially with the uniform name/number looks. I think there's at least as much variety in this project as there currently is in the NHL. Still, I would like to rework the Eagles' wordmark, and I'll have an update posted as soon as I can.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I'll definitely go back and look at some things, most notably the head/body junction.

This one was tough in terms of the wordmark. I was trying my best to keep it from looking like the Philly Eagles' mark (and it still has a bit more resemblance than I would like). Of course, I wanted to keep the wordmarks in this project more "professional" or "major league", which means I'm intentionally trying to do fewer effects, use less wacky typefaces, and use fewer colors and elements in general than I did in the minor league series. All that seriously constrains how many different looks I can create before a few may start to look a little similar.

I can tell you that I've never used Big Whiskey in this project, and (while some of them may be similar) I've never repeated a typeface in the wordmarks (and none of the custom numbers have been repeated). A majority of the wordmarks and uniforms (including the Eagles) use custom typefaces; of the 15 teams completed or currently being worked on, 8 have completely custom type, 4 use modified pre-exiting typefaces, and 3 are simply done in a pre-existing face. Of the teams I've posted so far, only the Quebec Bulldogs and the Oakland Seals use untouched, pre-existing typefaces.

All that considered, I think I've done a pretty good job keeping things varied, especially with the uniform name/number looks. I think there's at least as much variety in this project as there currently is in the NHL. Still, I would like to rework the Eagles' wordmark, and I'll have an update posted as soon as I can.

Fair enough, I just thought I saw that particular number font before.

I do see that the specific professional style of the NHL hinders your creativity a bit. However, your first three teams use that 'city over nickname' template, the two after that get more unique, then the next two go off with the weird perspective and city name over nickname look. You do mix it up every now wand then, but you end up getting too predictable with some of these (not to say that I haven't encountered this problem in my own work). These are all very good, but using something a bit less plain, say your Brooklyn script, would really mix it up a bit and I'd say improve the overall concept.

Great work without a doubt, though.

I like it in general but the 2 things that stand out are: the connection from the head to the body and the business of the wings. I think if you remove that little "notch" on the bottom/middle of the front wing it would look a lot better.

I made this logo about a year ago that has some similarities with the original st louis eagles logo and yours. I had no intention of making it a hockey logo though, it sort of morphed into it. It's a pretty awesome position for a bird!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/TheFixerGraphics/Rfinal.png

St. Louis has been updated. I tweaked and simplified the wings and simplified the head/body junction on the primary. (The eagle head logo was also changed accordingly.) Also, I tried a new look for the wordmark, one that mimics the motion of the primary eagle logo.

Archived