NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I looked at tweaking some of the logos for the Wanderers. I particularly looked at the wolf's eye and considered adding a pupil. But I didn't like the look of it. It made the wolf look nearly-but-not-quite real, almost like a cartoon, instead of being heavily stylized. So I left it as it was.

As with just about every concept in this series, Oakland Seals and Colorado Rockies are a few exceptions, love the logos and colour scheme, hate the jerseys.

Why do the chest and sleeve stripes end for no other reason then to accommodate the outlandish piping patterns that do nothing to enhance the sweater? Looks like you're trying to be futuristic just for the sake of being futuristic. Eliminate the piping, complete the stripes and you've got a near perfect design.

I've spoken about this before, but people still keep complaining about the use of piping, so let me address it again. (And I invite anyone who has nothing more to post than their hatred of piping to post on other designers' threads, informing them how nice it is not to see that dreaded piping.) I actually like piping, if it serves a useful purpose. I think it can add forms, motion, and depth that traditional striping simply cannot create. You may not like the look piping creates, but to imply that it does "nothing to enhance the sweater" is simply wrong.

In this case, the piping allows me to terminate the chest striping (which I needed to do, as I didn't want it to wrap all the way around behind, interfering with the back numbers) and the sleeve striping (same situation), leaving sleeves that are mostly clean white (or burgundy). It also allowed me to create a running motif of thin orange forms, which unify the logos, the piping, the striping, the pants stripe, and even unify the primary uniforms with the alternate uniform via that pants striping. This simply cannot be done (certainly not as effectively) with flat, straight stripes that wrap around the sleeves and chest. Piping is simply another tool in the designer's arsenal that has its own unique advantages and--I'm perfectly willing to admit--disadvantages.

The look would be completely different (and in my opinion, much flatter and much more static) without the carefully employed piping. Maybe you (and others) would like that basic, traditional, and (in my opinion) utterly uninspired look better. Jebus knows there's plenty of designs on these boards that employ that kind of look. But it's not my personal preference and it's not what this project is supposed to be about. As long as you can add something relevant to the conversation, feel free to opine that you personally don't like piping. But to imply that the piping is perfunctory or serves no purpose is, as I've attempted to show, incorrect.

On the topic of the project itself, the final teams have all been completed, and I'll be posting the next team later today. And, for all those who are interested, the piping will definitely be featured prominently.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

#2: Kansas City Scouts

Kansas City, MO // Relocated 1976

Logo.png

This one has a lot of compromises. I wanted to start with the Scout statue--which of course was the image in the original logo--and expand on its style and meaning. So I wanted a native american, scanning the horizon with hair blowing in the wind. Originally, I wanted to have the arm and hand shielding the eyes in there (like the Scout statue), but it just looked too awkward and made the logo even more horizontally elongated. So I nixed the hand and arm, while keeping the scout looking into the distance, with a stylized sun behind him. The colors are an updated version of the Scouts' old scheme: navy blue, rust, and gold.

When I think about the old Scouts' uniforms, what immediately comes to mind is stripes. Stripes freakin' everywhere. So I wanted to keep the same stripe-heavy look, while making it more modern. So there's piping around the shoulders and sleeve numbers on the front which wraps around down the back, with lots of alternating striping coming out from behind the piping. The home jersey is rust with navy blue pants... the opposite arrangement of what the old Scouts wore, but a look that works better to my eye. On the shoulders, there's an updated KC monogram with feathers as a patch logo.

For the alternate, I bit the bullet and did an almost paint-by-numbers update of the old blue jerseys. I normally wouldn't do that, but the old Scouts logo and jerseys were so distinctive, it seemed appropriate. So I've done a slightly updated circle logo with the Scout statue and the KC, along with reproducing the old striping pattern in the new colors. (No striping on the waist, only because it was stripe overkill to me. Personal choice on that one.)

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

There are a few things about this set that still bother me, but I've been working on it for quite a while and I keep coming back to what I've presented here as the best set of solutions. Feedback is greatly welcomed, as I still think this one could be improved.

This one is awesome, I was around when they played and I LOVE the scout statue on the 3rd.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

#13: Quebec Nordiques

Quebec, QC // Relocated 1995

Logo.png

Complete change in theme here, as I wanted to emphasize Viking/Nordic (which is of course what Nordique means) imagery. So the primary logo is a viking warrior with flowing hair set inside a ring with a Nordic pattern. (And yes, I know that they probably didn't actually wear horned helmets, but the image has become so established that it seemed crazy not to utilize it.) The wordmark employs the same style. The new colors are light blue, navy blue, red, and silver.

For the uniforms I wanted to incorporate old Nordiques elements with a new style. So there's flowing sections of striping on the upper chest, upper back, and sleeves, with fleurs-de-lis along the waist. The shoulder patch is a stylized Viking warship with waves, set inside a circle with type.

The alternate is navy and borrows the stylized wave from the secondary logo, which is now the crest. There is also wavy light blue piping flowing down from the shoulders, and a fleur-de-lis shoulder patch.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Why do you insist on super-modern reebok-esque stripes for all of these? Why the piping? The logos for all of them have been really fantastic, but every one of the jerseys has been terrible, including this "this-far-from-unbelievable" third jersey, ruined by piping and cut off stripes.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think you missed the boat (no pun intended) on the Nords. You've taken the name way to literally. A huge part of the Nordiques' identity was being a team steeped in French Canadian nationalism. Using the Viking imagery completely undermines that.

Why do you insist on super-modern reebok-esque stripes for all of these? Why the piping? The logos for all of them have been really fantastic, but every one of the jerseys has been terrible, including this "this-far-from-unbelievable" third jersey, ruined by piping and cut off stripes.

You know, if you had scrolled 3 posts above yours, you might have noticed how dgnmrwrw directly explained why he likes piping. It's his project and he can do whatever he wants. Unless you have something constructive to add, I'm not sure why you think he should care that you personally dislike modern-style jerseys. You're free to create your own Defunct NHL Teams Redesign project with a more classic look.

As for the Nordiques, I think that the primary logo is one of (if not the) best logos in this series so far, which is saying a lot.

dgnmrwrw, I know you love your piping, but I do think you're over-doing it. For this Nordiques' concept, I almost feel as if you insisted on using piping on that third just to rile up the piping-haters. On the home and road, it looks good and serves a purpose. On the alternate, the sleeve piping goes nowhere and divides nothing, and the piping down the body truncates the waves, which would probably look better crossing the whole waist anyways.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I'm no historian but I always thought the name stood for something along the line of the team being up north (Nord in french) and that's why they used the igloo as a logo...

I don't think anything sea related would fly, even the proposed wolf head switch they were soupposed to do had some kind of link to the great white north...

Great great great logos but they definately do not fit at all with Quebec !

Yeah, "nordique" just means "northern" in French, not necessarily the Nordic people. The team was named "the northerners" because they were the northernmost team in the league, not because of any erstwhile Viking settlement in the area. I like the logo and font, however.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Personally, I think these are awesome. I usually hate (yes, hate) RBK Edge-style piping, but these are done very well. I'll admit part of the attraction for me is based on my affinity for Viking/Norse imagery, but these are cool regardless. The color selection is perfect, especially the light blue. I think the only slight gripe I would make is the clash of the fleur-de-lis with the viking theme. I'm all for fleur-de-lis on Quebec designs, but the is a bit of incongruence here (but I wouldn't change a thing). I like the piping on the Alt uniforms decidedly less than that of the primaries, but I like the wave striping, the color and placement of the fleur-de-lis, and the alt logo is classy. This set is definitely one of my favorite of the series.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

I agree with most of what's been said already. The logos are AMAZING once again, and I have no knowledge on the meaning of Nordique, so I can't say whether the viking theme is appropriate. I love the home and road sets, but I agree with aci that the alternate would look a lot better without the piping, having the waves go all the way around the jersey. Since they're not interfering with the logo or numbers, you don't really need the piping cutting the waves off.

You know, if you had scrolled 3 posts above yours, you might have noticed how dgnmrwrw directly explained why he likes piping. It's his project and he can do whatever he wants. Unless you have something constructive to add, I'm not sure why you think he should care that you personally dislike modern-style jerseys. You're free to create your own Defunct NHL Teams Redesign project with a more classic look.

As for the Nordiques, I think that the primary logo is one of (if not the) best logos in this series so far, which is saying a lot.

It's his project, and he can do whatever he wants, and he's done that very well. All of these designs are very well done. The logos in particular (even the Nords mark, which misses the point of the team's identity) are all superb. I admit that I'm not a fan of piping, and that i would like to see most (if not all) of these logos used on more traditional and IMO better sweaters, but it's not my project. dgnmrwrw's free to do what he wants.

That being said, I think a project like this is a perfect example of why it would be a bad idea to let one person, or even a single group of people, design every sweater or jersey in a league. After a while the single aesthetic the designer(s) like starts to become stale. No offence dgnmrwrw, but all of this piping would get old fast if all the teams you've featured here took the ice wearing the sweater designs you've mocked up. You may not like those boring old static classic designs, but they do serve just as much a purpose as the piping-enhanced designs do :P

• 2 weeks later...

It's his project, and he can do whatever he wants, and he's done that very well. All of these designs are very well done. The logos in particular (even the Nords mark, which misses the point of the team's identity) are all superb. I admit that I'm not a fan of piping, and that i would like to see most (if not all) of these logos used on more traditional and IMO better sweaters, but it's not my project. dgnmrwrw's free to do what he wants.

That being said, I think a project like this is a perfect example of why it would be a bad idea to let one person, or even a single group of people, design every sweater or jersey in a league. After a while the single aesthetic the designer(s) like starts to become stale. No offence dgnmrwrw, but all of this piping would get old fast if all the teams you've featured here took the ice wearing the sweater designs you've mocked up. You may not like those boring old static classic designs, but they do serve just as much a purpose as the piping-enhanced designs do :P

Now this is criticism that seems to be well thought out, which means I can actually consider its merits. IceCap, I think you raise some good points about one designer and a certain style becoming stale, and I really thought about what these would look like on the ice after reading your post. With all that in mind, I've reworked the home and away uniforms.

I dropped the piping and the curved striping, and I also greatly reduced the silver (which I think I like for depth in the logos but had overemphasized in the uniforms). So now there's simple white (or light blue) striping outlined by thin navy, which I think stays much more true to the Nords' old clean look. But I did like the look of the curve around the shoulder areas (especially how it mimics the circular ring of the crest), so I kept that element. Hopefully this creates a look that's unique and appropriate to the identity without being too over-the-top.

Everything else has remained the same. This includes the alternate unis. I've often stated my opinions on what an alternate should be and how it should function within the overall identity, so I won't repeat all that here. Suffice to say that I wanted that wild, wavy striping and the curvilinear piping that accompanies it; I like the way it evokes the feeling of the alternate crest.

In addition, I do sort of understand the sentiment that my emphasis on the "Nordic" theme isn't true to the old look. That's completely true, and also completely intentional. I know there's a huge love of retro things right now (much of it, in my opinion, is simply retro for retro's sake), including the old Nordiques look. But to me, that was a bad identity. The logo, while a neat piece of design, doesn't stand the test of time (it's clearly stuck in a late 60s/70s aesthetic). I sorta see an igloo, I sorta see an N, and I see the stick and puck. But how does that relate to the name "Nordiques"? And how does it relate at all to the fleur-de-lis that everyone associates with this club? To me the clear answer is that it doesn't. None of it actually fits together, we just assume it does because it was forced together for so long.

What I've tried to do (and I've done it for a couple of these teams already) is to re-evaluate the nickname and to create a more appropriate visual identity. In doing that, I've also tried to integrate the fleur-de-lis more effectively, so it isn't just an afterthought of a visual element. Really, that re-invention process is what this project is all about.

Anyway, there are only two of these teams remaining, and the next one will be up pretty soon.

Yeah, "nordique" just means "northern" in French, not necessarily the Nordic people. The team was named "the northerners" because they were the northernmost team in the league, not because of any erstwhile Viking settlement in the area. I like the logo and font, however.

I didn't know this, so I tried to confirm. All the online translators I could find translated "Nordique" directly as "Nordic." Almost all translated "nord" as "north" and "du nord" (or other varients) as "northern." Even my (admittedly very old) French-English-French dictionary also claimed "Nordique" meant specifically "Nordic."

Interestingly, I did find that Yahoo's Babelfish translator translated "northern" into "nordique," but then translated "Nordique" as "Scandinavian." So I'll grant that it's not a one-to-one translation, but it seems pretty clear that the word Nordique is very often used for Nordic/Scandinavian.

#14: Philadelphia Quakers

Philadelphia, PA // Folded 1931

Logo.png

Another conceptual overhaul here. A religious sect that calls itself the "Society of Friends" and believes in peace and nonviolence doesn't seem an apt mascot for a modern hockey team. So I chose a woolly mammoth, a huge cold-weather critter that could (probably) make the ground quake. (Full disclosure: I couldn't get the trunk/tusk interaction to look right, so I used a found image as a guide there.) The colors keep the Quakers' old black and orange, but I added sky blue and ice blue to the palette. (Once again, the colors--especially the sky blue and orange--became washed out. Apologies.)

The uniforms have gone through dozens of iterations (and I'm still not entirely happy with the result, but it's the best I had so far). The primary is sky blue, with arm and sock striping that sort of matches the progression of the colors in the logo. The shoulder yoke has modified, tapered ends that highlight the implied motion of the shoulder patch, which is a P slamming down and crushing a hockey stick. The numbers use a two-toned highlight effect, intended to create an "icy" look.

The alternate is orange and clearly modeled after the old Quakers jerseys: again, there's a wordmark as the crest. But instead of simply pasting the old script version (which would have been a cop-out and wouldn't have fit the style of the identity), I used my newer version. The shoulder patch is reminiscent of the Predators' old skull patch (which I may have been the only person ever to like): a mammoth skull with glowing eyes surrounded by a ring with the city name.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I honestly think this is your best of the series, you bounced back bigtime. Awesome rendering of the mammoth, it kind of took me by surprise. The uniforms look great, especially with the color scheme (it almost looks like a comic book, I think that's pretty neat). Really love the third jersey as well, AWESOME wordmark.

Great work here, dgnmrwrw.

Archived