NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be honest. I'm a big fan of your series and the Quakers was perhaps one of the best identity packages I've ever seen. But, this Pirates set doesn't do your work justice. Everything looks too 1990's Buffalo Sabres. Not to mention the overall uniform design and colors are too bland for my taste. I feel if you could have utilized the curves within the logo and transferred that to your uniforms this could have looked more natural. Also, the gray alternate sweater just looks forced. The logo is unique and the crossbone/hockey stick effect looks cool. But, the sweater design does not do much to justify it. With a little be of re-working this could be an awesome finished project. Overall, not terrible. Some very good ideas with the Pirates identity. But, it doesn't appear finished.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I love the Pirates set. The primary seems like a modern take on the last NHL Pirates logo used. I don't know if you were going for that or not, but it definitely worked out, to me at least.

The colour scheme itself is very nice as well. As was discussed in a Tampa Bay Buccaneers thread, black and red were the two main colours for Jolly Roger flags. So the colour scheme is fitting. I admit I think it would look just as nice with yellow/athletic gold in place of red, just for the sake of continuing the Pittsburgh sporting tradition, but the black, red, and grey really works on its own.

I agree with you about grey being a viable sweater colour as well. I think the Milwaukee Admirals in the AHL have proven it can work with their current set.

As biased as I am against piping, I wouldn`t change a single thing about this Pirates identity. I like how the piping is not overdone and flows nicely from the top of the jersey to the bottom and it fits the striping pattern perfectly. I also don`t agree that this identity packages screams 90`s Buffalo Sabres but it'd be interesting to see the red replaced with Yellow.

Wow. I've been incredibly busy the past month or so and had forgotten about this, and the fact that I never posted the final concept. So maybe it's a good thing it got bumped. I'll get the 16th and final team up asap.

No Minnesota North Stars concept?

I agree with the above post about the third's crossbones hockey sticks looking a bit strange. Rather than completely switching to actual hockey sticks I'd change the blade to that of a hockey stick, but keep the top of the sticks the way they are now--they look cool. That would be more subtle as I think the full bone stick is a bit forced, IMHO. Overall, a very impressive set.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really like the Pirates logo, which is surprising, considering I'm a Penguins fan and also how much the term "Pirate" is synonymous with "waste of time and money" here in Pittsburgh. Really the only criticism I could throw at the design is the red. Pittsburgh uses black and gold for absolutely everything in terms of professional sports, football, baseball, hockey, soccer, and arena football. I'm not sure the design would work as well with the gold, though.

Overall, I've enjoyed all of these, some more than others. I was a little disappointed by the Whalers and I would have liked to have seen a modernized take on the Nordique's unused wolf logo, but the Vikings concept was unexpected. I think the Quakers logo was awesome. I had a design for NHL expansion which included a concept for the Milwaukee Mammoths and now I want to go back over that project. Would love to have you collaborate if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived