NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

dgnmrwrw

simply awesome in every aspect, you captured the Maroons perfectly, and i love that alternate logo. They have all been great but i like this one the best...well done sir :notworthy:

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the responses.

Those horns you added (those are horns, right?) definitely give it a "bison" feel..

I think those are it's ears.

Yeah, those are definitely ears.

I love everything except the M in the primary logo. It's awkwardly-placed and I think you could do without it. Love the jerseys and the color scheme but I'm disappointed at the lack of a gold alternate, especially since you have two maroon jerseys. Maybe you could make the third gold with a maroon sash?

I was gonna say the exact same thing about the M. It looks kinda just stuck there. At the same time, I do see why its there -- something sorta needs to be there, an M or otherwise... I don't see a need for a gold alternate however -- I'm of the opinion the 3rd doesn't need to be so drastic a change from the other 2, and kinda like the consistency. Which isn't to say a gold one couldn't look cool, and I'd be curious to see it. I generally like gold jerseys, but this shade could be iffy. If there was one, I'd like to see a lot of white, and not necessarily a tonne of the maroon.

The M was problematic. I wanted it to be a bit larger and more prominent, but then it started to interfere with the lion's jaw. But then, it does look a bit empty without it there. I'll keep looking at it and see what I can do.

I'll also look at switching around the alternate.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Those horns you added (those are horns, right?) definitely give it a "bison" feel..

Hmm... It's one of those Dali-esque optical illusions (like the "Woman or the Lamp" example...) wherein one set of eyes may see ears, yet another (see: mine) sees horns... I think it has to do with the shading and arc created by the process... Do you see what I mean when I say that those ears can easily be confused with horns? Esp since the lion's mane is very similar to the "mane" (pardon me if there is a more appropriate term) of a Bison...

I still believe the secondary (see: "M") logo is the best! Such a wonderfully done piece of art... Keep up the good work!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Hmm... It's one of those Dali-esque optical illusions (like the "Woman or the Lamp" example...) wherein one set of eyes may see ears, yet another (see: mine) sees horns... I think it has to do with the shading and arc created by the process... Do you see what I mean when I say that those ears can easily be confused with horns? Esp since the lion's mane is very similar to the "mane" (pardon me if there is a more appropriate term) of a Bison...

I still believe the secondary (see: "M") logo is the best! Such a wonderfully done piece of art... Keep up the good work!

You have problems with horned lions running around where you live too eh? I mean regualr lions are so tame compared to the horned ones.... :therock:

canada.png

• 2 weeks later...

#6: Hartford Whalers

Hartford, CT // Relocated 1997

Logo.png

I'm sure this one will upset those who believe that some logos are "untouchable", but please let's remember that that's not what this series is about. I did try a complete logo overhaul--with an image of an actual whaler--but decided instead on tweaking the classic H/W logo. Throughout this concept, I tried to focus on curvilinear shapes (thinking of ropes, ships' wheels, tail fins, waves, etc), so I tried to create a much more curved and flowing primary as opposed to the more static old logo. The wordmark is custom and continues the wavy/curvy theme.

For the uniforms, I moved green back to the primary focus (with blue pants and helmets for balance), and I continued the curvilinear look with multiple sections of blue piping. In addition, the shoulder patch--which features a stylized H with a flying harpoon and a rope circle--sits on top of the piping. I paired the curvy piping with traditional, straight stripes.

I went with an all blue alternate, and based the striping on the last set of jerseys that the Whalers wore. The crest logo is a scene with a breaching tail fin, a ship's wheel, harpoons, and type. The primary logo is also featured on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Hartford Whalers:

Logo = excellent

Number font = excellent

Jerseys = complete miss

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

The jersey is awesome, and the third logo looks very interesting...but the rest just made a completely classic logo more cartoony by stretching it out, and the jerseys...they're just plain weird. Sorry to be blunt, but no upgrade here.

That third jersey logo might be a new starting point though

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I like what you've done with the Whale, in the sense that there are lots of bad things you could've done with it and I feel like the identity modernizes it in a way that's not completely blasphemous.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Not a bad idea. Overall, the lion concept looks phenomenal. Especially adding gold to the mix of color scheme. However, I'm not sold on it. As great as the uniforms look, I can't buy the concept. I see Montreal as being more of a grassroots kind of place when it comes to their French heritage. Maybe that's just me. But, from a design aspect these look tremendous. I especially love the third.

Montreal has a large English population, the largest in Quebec I believe. The Maroons, when they existed, represented the Anglos of the city while the Canadiens represented the French. Thus the English symbolism on the Maroons concept is fitting.

Archived