dgnmrwrw

NHL: Defunct Franchise Redesigns

The harpoon you are using on the Whalers logo look like a pointed tail, not a harpoon. But overall you did a great job.

Not a bad idea. Overall, the lion concept looks phenomenal. Especially adding gold to the mix of color scheme. However, I'm not sold on it. As great as the uniforms look, I can't buy the concept. I see Montreal as being more of a grassroots kind of place when it comes to their French heritage. Maybe that's just me. But, from a design aspect these look tremendous. I especially love the third.

Montreal has a large English population, the largest in Quebec I believe. The Maroons, when they existed, represented the Anglos of the city while the Canadiens represented the French. Thus the English symbolism on the Maroons concept is fitting.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Interesting. Well, if you put it that way, then I could see the English symbolism being a point of sale. Once again, though, beautiful concept.

Hartford Whalers:

Logo = excellent

Number font = excellent

Jerseys = complete miss

Almost dead on. The logo is alright. I like your idea behind it, however it just doesn't "feel" right to have it squeezed like that. The sweaters are fair. Not a big fan of the stripes and piping. However, you're third uniform is a certified winner. The logo is phenomenal and the striping is perfect. It could honestly pass for a home and away outfit.

Great logos, the jerseys not so much, why dont you do something like this,those were perfect for them

turgeon_sylvain.jpg

It wouldn't be much of a redesign (see thread title) if he just re-created an old jersey.

Great logos, the jerseys not so much, why dont you do something like this,those were perfect for them

turgeon_sylvain.jpg

It wouldn't be much of a redesign (see thread title) if he just re-created an old jersey.

its more about the striping, not the colors or the piping

These are some of the best concepts I have on this forum in quite some time, keep up the great work!

I can not wait to see the Jets!

Excellent update to an "untouchable" logo! The whole set is beautifully executed, it's modern yet not over-the-top.

Love the logo package and typography, but there are a couple of things I would edit:

? On the Alternate Jerseys, I would go with the block serif from the jersey crest as the uniform number font. It'd be nice to switch it up, and it would capture more of the vintage feeling the the jersey is evoking.

? On the Home & Road Jerseys, I think it's a little awkward where the piping intersects.

? On the ship wheel logo, I don't think you need the outline on the type. It seems to get lost anyway, so why not get rid of it.

But like I said, that logo package is great! The subtle touches and attention to detail really make the set.

I love the alternate. Everything here is very clean for a revival. The home seems kind of interesting though. I'm not quite sure of all the green in it, but it's still do-able. Well done!

this whole series is amazing. some of the people seem overly critical of some small things as i read the feedback, (altho i understand that is the purpose of the board) because this is the best series on the board. the americans logo is unique and your brooklyn script is beautiful. love the scouts logo. on the whalers logo, you did a nice job keeping is close to their already iconic logo, but for some reason it comes off as more wolf-like (like fur) with the outlines, but thats just me. anyways keep up the good work. i look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

How haven't I given you a response here? Work this universally good deserves recognition.

I'll go one by one.

1. Tigers - the logo and script both look great on their own, but the logo's a little more spikey and the script's kind of blocky, so I don't know how well they mesh. I'm not sold on the grey home jersey, it almost looks like a bad Predator's knockoff (just the jersey, not that beautiful logo)... you come closer to finding a good balance on the alt.

2. Scouts - I really like the new primary logo, except for the nose. Something seems slightly off. I really like the primary two jerseys... the more out there style really fits. I don't care for the third, but I've always found that logo awful, and even a decent update can't save it. It's not a bad jersey style, but overall, doesn't fit in with the rest of the set. I think the KC shoulder patch is enough of a tribute to the original design.

3. Bulldogs - the rare miss. The primary feels unfinished and I don't see a Q in the shoulder logo, although I do appreciate where you came from. I'd almost like to see the bone seperate from the top of the logo and maybe kind of add a bottom of a hockey stick, but this is just brainstorming. Jersey design and the font used are really nice, but I kind of wish I liked the rest better.

4. Americans - yes, yes yes. I love everything here. Although it's red/blue, it feels unique on it's own in hockey (maybe it's the silver), logos are beautiful, I love the yoke meeting the sleeve, but man, that third jersey. That's just :censored:ing AWESOME. The series has gone great, but this is the first A+.

5. Maroons - logos and colors are great. On the jerseys, I dislike the piping but love the partial yokes.... I'm not huge on the font, though. The sash on the third jersey is just gorgeous. Another excellent set.

6. Whalers - wow. I might need to change my pants. You took my favorite sports logo of all time (and I'm not a hockey guy), and TOPPED IT. That's a perfect, awesome update. The logo and script are just out of this world excellent. I have less love for the jerseys, the piping is problematic on the primaries, and the grey dominates the alts a bit much for my tastes, but is there any way we can get that idiot who's reviving the "Whale" to see this and force him to use it instead?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I know that some people are especially against modern jersey stylings, most specifically when it features piping. Bear with me, and know that I'm trying my best (and it's often a struggle) to make some more "traditional" uniforms for the teams coming up.

? On the Alternate Jerseys, I would go with the block serif from the jersey crest as the uniform number font. It'd be nice to switch it up, and it would capture more of the vintage feeling the the jersey is evoking.

? On the ship wheel logo, I don't think you need the outline on the type. It seems to get lost anyway, so why not get rid of it.

I liked both of these ideas, so I implemented them, along with switching all the type on the alternate logo to the block serif style. I think it helps to complete that "vintage" feel and to simplify things a bit.

Those were the only changes, and Hartford is complete. Next team coming up shortly.

#7: Cleveland Barons

Cleveland, OH // Merged with Minnesota 1978

Logo.png

I thought about going a different direction with the "Barons" nickname, but in the end I really liked the idea of an industrial "baron"... it's such an original theme for a team's nickname. Also, I didn't want to keep the red and black color scheme, only because their are so many NHL teams that already use a variation of that combo. But I did want to stay close to it, so I ended up using wine (like the Cavs), black, and gold. For the concept, I wanted to create a "looming" perspective and focus on sharp, angular shapes.

The home and road uniforms are pretty clean and simple. Wine is the primary uniform color, with black pants and helmets. The patch on the shoulders features the stylized C from the primary encircling the Key Tower.

The alternate set is all black, and I allowed myself to get more modern with the uniform style. There's gold piping and angular, chevron-like double stripes of wine. The crest is a zoomed-in look at the Baron, with a more active and dynamic crest that matches the jersey style.

The patch on the shoulders is a circular logo with type, the baron's hat, and crossing sticks. The "Barons" wordmark also appears below the collar.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

truely amazing work right there. i would personally get rid of the "barons" script under the collar on the alt and you got a perfect set.

Those are REALLY cool man. I love the colors, and the C-Baron logo is sweet. I do have a couple suggestions though. First, I would get rid of the C-Skyscraper logo and replace it on the home and road with one of the logos on the alternate. Four logos is just too many. I would also make the stripes on the side of the alternate line up with the ones on the sleeves and socks (have them point down). That's it though, good work once again!

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I've been in love with everything you've created thus far... But these just scream "AHL" to me. And the alt reminds me of the New York/New Jersey Metro Stars logo:

6995.gif

Haha, I was instantly sold on the style you used for the Baron here, excellent choice. However, I'd try and drop half of the pinstripes, it's getting a little too busy. Same thing with the Key Tower, a bit too much detail can make the logos look like illustrations. Other than those few nitpicks, nice work. Love the uniforms as well.

Haha, I was instantly sold on the style you used for the Baron here, excellent choice. However, I'd try and drop half of the pinstripes, it's getting a little too busy. Same thing with the Key Tower, a bit too much detail can make the logos look like illustrations. Other than those few nitpicks, nice work. Love the uniforms as well.

I agree. The logo is a little too busy with all of the pinstripes. Maybe simplify how many there are and you'll have me sold. Other than that, another beautiful concept.

Don't know what it is, but I don't really like this one... maybe it's the hometown team element, but I don't at all see the Barons in this design. I don't like the muddled colors, and the persepective on the baron is really weird.

That said, I love the Key Tower logo.