Buffalo-Area Sports Team Names...

ThePreacher

I am still waiting for the day that the City of Buffalo produces a sports franchise that has a logo that relates to the, you know, team (see: nickname), rather than city.

NHL: Buffalo Sabres - Well, they've at least attempted to deviate from the Buffalo (kind of.)

Sabres4logosmyspacebulletin.jpg

FAIL.

NFL: Buffalo Bills - Hmm, where is "Bill"? (I'm assuming they were named after "Wild" Bill Hicock, right?)

buffalo-bills-logo1.gifBuffalo_Bills_Logo.gif

FAIL.

THIS is Buffalo Bill.

MLB (AAA): Buffalo Bisons - Meh.

buffalo-bisons-logo6.jpg

<_<

NBA (Relocated): Buffalo Braves - Ugh.

braves1.jpgBraves2.gif

...No Comment.

I mean, is it possible to name a team from Buffalo something OTHER than a pun? I'm sure I'm not the first person (nor the last) on this website to bring up this point, but I think it's something that's fair to address on an annual basis... So, I'm asking the good people of CCSLC to post what they feel would be a great non-Buffalo-related concept for the city's various sports franchise (future, current, defunct or fictitious!)

Note: I wasn't sure under which topic this would be the most appropriate, but I settled on "concepts" - if anyone can make a compelling argument to move this topic elsewhere, please state it coherently or forever hold your peace.

ps) Are the Bills the only city that is guilty of this? I know the Phoenix Suns alt has the silhouette of a Phoenix burning over the "PHX", the Anaheim Angels were originally the "Los Angeles Angels" (literally "The Angels Angels"), but is that it? If I'm missing something, then please, fill me in.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I would say you could have it moved to the "Requests" forum, since you are technically requesting for people to design a concept for a Buffalo team without a pun-nickname.

To your point:

I've noticed this, too. It seems like Buffalo can't create a logo/nickname that doesn't incorporate a Buffalo. I really don't mind in the Bison's case, but a Sabre has nothing to do with a buffalo.

For what its worth, the Buffalo Bills are named after Buffalo Bill Cody.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I've noticed this, too. It seems like Buffalo can't create a logo/nickname that doesn't incorporate a Buffalo. I really don't mind in the Bison's case, but a Sabre has nothing to do with a buffalo.

Agreed. I actually like the "Bisons." That being said, I think it should be the sole Buffalo-area team named after the famous American animal.

A Buffalo has nothing to do with a Sabre, a Brave, or Mr. Bill Cody.

This would make a great concept template IMO.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I am still waiting for the day that the City of Buffalo produces a sports franchise that has a logo that relates to the, you know, team (see: nickname), rather than city.

Wouldn't the Bisons do that? A Bison is the North American equivalent of a Buffalo, so anything with a Buffalo/Bison gets the job done.

The original (and now current) Buffalo Sabres logo works as well. It's a buffalo with two sabres beneath it -- literally spelling out "Buffalo Sabres."

personally, I laughed at the Buffalo Wings the first time I heard of the name. referencing a food item that people can consume in rapid-fire eating contests, even if it is a play on words, isn't something that really strikes fear.

But I thought of something as I was writing that, Buffalo has the disadvantage of being named for an animal. The University at Buffalo Bulls (yes, "at") becomes a two-animal nickname, and while at first seems fine, the more you think about it, the more bothersome it becomes, at least in my opinion.

Honestly, I'd give Buffalo a lot of credit if it went with simply "Buffalo" for everything. Is it the city name or is it the team name? Yes. Period.

Consider that the longest 1-word sentence is Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo why not simply embrace it fully?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I give you the National Lacrosse League's Buffalo Bandits:

6716.gif

beat me to it!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I give you the National Lacrosse League's Buffalo Bandits:

6716.gif

beat me to it!

And me as well. Actually the Bandits are sort of the Dallas Cowboys of the NLL, the closest thing it has to a "marquee" team.

CCSLC signature.png

Note: I wasn't sure under which topic this would be the most appropriate, but I settled on "concepts" - if anyone can make a compelling argument to move this topic elsewhere, please state it coherently or forever hold your peace.

You're discussing sports logos without a concept or drawing.

Thus, this belongs in "Sports Logos".

I miss the days when a new concept thread actually meant seeing a concept.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Agreed. I actually like the "Bisons." That being said, I think it should be the sole Buffalo-area team named after the famous American animal.

A Buffalo has nothing to do with a Sabre, a Brave, or Mr. Bill Cody.

This would make a great concept template IMO.

How do you think he got the nickname "Buffalo Bill"?

How do you think he got the nickname "Buffalo Bill"?

William Frederick Cody ("Buffalo Bill") got his nickname after he undertook a contract to supply Kansas Pacific Railroad workers with buffalo meat. The nickname originally referred to Bill Comstock.Cody earned the nickname by killing 4,280 American Bison (commonly known as buffalo) in eight months (1867?68). He and Comstock eventually competed in a shooting match over the exclusive right to use the name, which Cody won.

per Wiki.

bufg.png

very classy logo, they have nice kits too

It's a great shield for sure. For those of you who didn't know, the lightning bolts in this logo are the same used in the City flag for Buffalo.

300px-Flag_of_Buffalo,_New_York.svg.png

bufg.png

very classy logo, they have nice kits too

It's a great shield for sure. For those of you who didn't know, the lightning bolts in this logo are the same used in the City flag for Buffalo.

300px-Flag_of_Buffalo,_New_York.svg.png

Very cool. Best looking logo in the City of Buffalo IMHO.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Archived