Sammy Sosa upset that Cubs haven't retired No. 21

Gothamite

If the criteria is HOF, then they probably should've waited for Maddux, even though we all know he's 1st ballot.

Really, the Cubs retired #31 for Ferguson Jenkins (basically because it was looong overdue, and really couldn't retire it while Maddux was wearing it), and basically had to retire it for Maddux at the same time (what were they gonna do, retire it for Jenkins, and re-retire in when Maddux got into the HOF?). Now the Braves retiring it already? That could have waited a couple years...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the criteria is HOF, then they probably should've waited for Maddux, even though we all know he's 1st ballot.

Really, the Cubs retired #31 for Ferguson Jenkins (basically because it was looong overdue, and really couldn't retire it while Maddux was wearing it), and basically had to retire it for Maddux at the same time (what were they gonna do, retire it for Jenkins, and re-retire in when Maddux got into the HOF?). Now the Braves retiring it already? That could have waited a couple years...

Why should have the Braves waited to retire Maddux's number? Everyone that knows baseball knows that 31,47,29,10,and 6 are untouchable in Atlanta. If you ask me, they are the ones that got it right. 31 should have been retires in Chicago a long time ago. They just happened to have two Hall-caliber players wear it.

Why should have the Braves waited to retire Maddux's number? Everyone that knows baseball knows that 31,47,29,10,and 6 are untouchable in Atlanta. If you ask me, they are the ones that got it right. 31 should have been retires in Chicago a long time ago. They just happened to have two Hall-caliber players wear it.

Maddux was obviously an afterthought for the Cubs, considering he really didn't do anything for them. He is a legend that happened to begin and end his career with the Cubs, while coincidentally wearing a number that was already to be retired

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I just thing there should be a standard set that if you used steriods and are on that list, that everything you did in the game is erased. That would mean Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGuire, Roger Clemens, and Sammy Sosa, would not only not be worthy of the Hall of Fame, but not even worthy of a jersey retirement. If you have 0 home runs, you don't deserve to have your number retired. That's just how I think they should do it and what I think of the steroid users, they are a big fat ZERO!

I just thing there should be a standard set that if you used steriods and are on that list, that everything you did in the game is erased. That would mean Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGuire, Roger Clemens, and Sammy Sosa, would not only not be worthy of the Hall of Fame, but not even worthy of a jersey retirement. If you have 0 home runs, you don't deserve to have your number retired. That's just how I think they should do it and what I think of the steroid users, they are a big fat ZERO!

I actually agree with you here. I know it's not a popular opinion, but hey, it's what I believe. All through school, from the first time I ever took a test all the way through to university I've been told that if I cheat I get a zero on the exam, and that's the best case scenario.

It just seems so straight-forward. These men cheated in the course of their professional careers. They were in clear violations of the rules of MLB, and in many cases the laws of the United States and Canada. Their entire careers are invalidated, as far as I'm concerned. By no means do I support or forgive Pete Rose for what he did, nor do I care to ever see him in the Hall, but I would support seeing him go in before any of the big names from the "Steroid Era."

Fine, than leave it as untouchable for several years, and retire it just before or after he goes into the HOF (same year) as a celebration for those that can't make it to Cooperstown. That's just how I think it should be done...

BTW, I stayed in Indio once on a trip between LA and Phoenix.

Dale Murphy had, what, a half-season batting .190 for the Rockies?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived