Seattle Metropolitans

aph7824

1. Seattle Metropolitans name goes back to the beginning of the NHL.

2. The flag of Seattle logo is used here. images.google.com seattle flag.

3. everyone knows the seattle skyline - so I thought I should incorporate it.

C& C please. Constructive. If you hate it give a reason why.

metros.jpg

I know - colorado's hockey team from the 70's used a mountain.

There's still hundreds of ways to render a mountain without jackin' it from a NHL team. And in this case, it makes your skyline look way too squished together. You need something that's probably twice as wide to pull that off. Also, the inside should probably be grey to make the logo in the foreground stand out. Although I'd just as soon scrap the mountain and just use the S-head by itself.

Also, is there any reason you used black for the third? It doesn't appear anywhere else on your concept.

Aside from those, you're off to a pretty solid start.

@illwauk - I either need to make a better / wider mountain (washington -state is pretty mountainous.) or figure something better out.

as far as the black one goes. you are absolutely right. I live in San Jose now... and their jerseys are teal, white, and black... but they have a lot of black in their logo which makes it obvious for black bein' an alternate... I just really like black and teal. It's different, and not every team uses it like they do blue. But I guess I'm being a hypocrite because I HATE when nfl teams use a gray facemask when gray isn't their colors. I.E. browns, colts.

@lancebridwell... By you saying you hate the S logo do you mean the S with the head or the S with "seattle" ... I'm not really a fan of the S with the seattle one but it's the original metropolitans logo so I felt the need to keep it.... just kind of update it a bit.

I say start over on the mountain and the S with Seattle written in it. Good start, like the wordmark. I don't mind the use of teal but I think overall this is very bland. My suggestion would be to add a color to compliment the teal and make it pop a bit. I really like the S with the head in it.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I say start over on the mountain and the S with Seattle written in it. Good start, like the wordmark. I don't mind the use of teal but I think overall this is very bland. My suggestion would be to add a color to compliment the teal and make it pop a bit. I really like the S with the head in it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.logoserver.com/hockey/SeattleMetros.GIF&imgrefurl=http://www.mtrmedia.com/original6/2010/08/the-seattle-metropolitans-of-the-pcha.html&usg=__RdofTIAeDxgl9nqMSluUoAm2iPM=&h=120&w=79&sz=2&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=WR1a2_ImHFjsuM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=64&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dseattle%2Bmetropolitans%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D632%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=527&ei=buB6TI2rJuefOLaQvOcF&oei=buB6TI2rJuefOLaQvOcF&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=20&ty=73

that's what I was trying to go after.

@lancebridwell, it's all good - just wanted to see which one you were talking about as illwauk also called the other logo an s logo.

AND since everyone hates the S logo - what would you recommend placing on the sleeves??!?

And what do you think about an orange for a different color? I need to add one more color.

I can't wait to see concepts for ALL the defunct Pacific Hockey League teams!!

1912 New Westminster Royals, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Senators

1912?13 New Westminster Royals, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Senators

1913?14 New Westminster Royals, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1914?15 Portland Rosebuds, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1915?16 Portland Rosebuds, Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1916?17 Portland Rosebuds, Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Spokane Canaries

1917?18 Portland Rosebuds, Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires

1919 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1919?20 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1920?21 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1921?22 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1922?23 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Maroons, Victoria Aristocrats

1923?24 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Maroons, Victoria Cougars

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I think you're trying to cram too much into the primary logo with the mountain, skyline, the S and the Indian head. I would just lose the mountain and the skyline altogether. The S/Indian head is strong enough to stand on its own as the primary. The wordmark jumbles things up even more by adding the Space Needle into the mix; I'd probably just get rid of it altogether.

As for the S/Seattle secondary, I would choose a wider font and keep the letters inside straight up and down; none of the crazy tilted letters. Not trying to toot my own horn, but here's what I did for a Metropolitans fantasy hockey concept.

AND since everyone hates the S logo - what would you recommend placing on the sleeves??!?

Really, all you need is numbers on the sleeves. You could add one of the logos as a shoulder patch, but there are plenty of NHL jerseys that don't have shoulder patches and are probably better for that.

And what do you think about an orange for a different color? I need to add one more color.

If you add orange, then you're really trying to make this into a Sharks clone. Darken up the teal a bit to give more contrast against the grey, and you should be fine with teal, grey and white.

Can a team trademark a logo that's used on the city flag?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No idea. but I kind of thought it was cool when the cardinals used the state flag of arizona

http://sportslogos.n...ogo.php?id=2752

Right, but that wasn't their primary logo. If you use the city flag logo, anyone can make gear with it and sell it. Sure, it won't have the mountain thing behind it, but will it matter? Not to 90% of the gear-buying public. A team would be foolish to use a public logo so literally. Now it's possible to take a lot of inspiration from that logo and come up with something that is original and TMable... that's probably where I'd go with this one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't wait to see concepts for ALL the defunct Pacific Hockey League teams!!

1912 New Westminster Royals, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Senators

1912?13 New Westminster Royals, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Senators

1913?14 New Westminster Royals, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1914?15 Portland Rosebuds, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1915?16 Portland Rosebuds, Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1916?17 Portland Rosebuds, Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Spokane Canaries

1917?18 Portland Rosebuds, Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires

1919 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1919?20 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1920?21 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1921?22 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Millionaires, Victoria Aristocrats

1922?23 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Maroons, Victoria Aristocrats

1923?24 Seattle Metropolitans, Vancouver Maroons, Victoria Cougars

Yeah, why doesn't aph7824 get right on every single one of those for you? :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

No idea. but I kind of thought it was cool when the cardinals used the state flag of arizona

http://sportslogos.n...ogo.php?id=2752

Right, but that wasn't their primary logo. If you use the city flag logo, anyone can make gear with it and sell it. Sure, it won't have the mountain thing behind it, but will it matter? Not to 90% of the gear-buying public. A team would be foolish to use a public logo so literally. Now it's possible to take a lot of inspiration from that logo and come up with something that is original and TMable... that's probably where I'd go with this one.

Well, here is the actual city flag - and I agree with you. 100%. flag.gif

All in all this is very good. I would recommend using a little bit more of the teal/green/blue on the road whites, however.

Great job, definitely fitting for the first American Stanley Cup champions.

Archived