Bears Throwbacks?

cranium

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They used these number fonts one year, not sure when, maybe 1968 or 69?

Butkus_Dick_Action_150-220.jpg

I haven't found a home jersey version comparable though. Maybe one of our resident Chicago Bears experts can chime in?

I'm not a Bears expert but I think these jerseys with block numbers could have been early mesh jerseys with screened-on (or maybe heat press) numbers and these jerseys were therefore only worn in the warm weather months. I believe the durene cold-weather jerseys for the Bears retained the rounded numbers. Similar to the Vikings wearing plain purple jerseys with white numbers in the warm months and the Northwestern striped jerseys with gold-trimmed numbers in cold weather in 1969. Several other teams did this back then.

The shot of Butkis has to be at least 1972 - the "C" on the helmet is orange with a white outline; from the time they put the "C" on the helmet through 1971 they used a white "C".

yes,agree.

At first, I thought it was fake, but I saw about 20 of them around the stadium.

you mean you thought it is true now,right?

Well, I saw so many of them at the game, I began to doubt their "fakeness" and asked the forum about them. Now, I believe they are fakes. Please pardon my poor combination of words in my nearly year-old posting. Can I send you my graduate thesis to peruse for similar instances of weak writing?

savedpictures013-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

They can't wear any alt other than these throwbacks for the next four years, per NFL rules.

There's conflicting reports about that .... but it appears from multiple articles I've read that da Bears will be reverting back to the orange alternate jersey for 2011.

Perhaps this 4-year rule thing doesn't apply to throwbacks / alternates ... ??

Last year when they wore the 40s version throwbacks as a tribute to the 'Monsters of the Midway' from that era, i thought those were damn sharp!

nfl_bears_throwbacks_300.jpg

Bears to Wear Orange in 2011

Matt+Forte+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Chicago+Bears+qfWybBNQ3Ppl-thumb-580x386-360051.jpg

The NFL seems to exempt these one-off throwbacks from the usual alternate regs.

There must be a grey area in the rule. I know the Eagles had to go back to their black alt because the kelly green was an anniversary uni. The Packers may wear their Acme uni's again, but all signs point to "no" right now. It's too bad the Bears are going back to that orange thing. Their throwback was really nice.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

There must be a grey area in the rule. I know the Eagles had to go back to their black alt because the kelly green was an anniversary uni. The Packers may wear their Acme uni's again, but all signs point to "no" right now. It's too bad the Bears are going back to that orange thing. Their throwback was really nice.

. .

It's hard to make sense of NFL team apparel regulations since they would allow GB to wear their Acme throwbacks again in 2011 if they so choose, but not let the Eagles wear the '60 Kelly Green throwbacks. The only reasoning I could think of is that GB hasn't had an alternate or throwback set, and Philly has had one in that black alternate, and even then it doesn't make sense since da Bears had an alternate with the orange jerseys yet last year were allowed to bring out their 40s throwbacks which weren't an anniversary of anything, only a tribute to their 'Monsters of the Midway' era.

We need a better nickname for this team. "Monsters of the Midway" hasn't made sense for, what, 80 years? They're not near the Midway Plaisance. They're not near Midway Airport. They're not even near a carnival midway. We might as well keep calling them the Decatur Staleys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In another thread a link was provided to the ChicagoNow story. I'm not sure I would put much stock into that, seeing as ChicagoNow is basically a blog. I guess we will see in a few months. I thoght the NFL was more strict about allowing one-of throwbacks for relevant anniversaries. I mean, last year was the 70th anniversary of the Bears winning the title and starting a dynasty. 70 isn't really more significant than, say, 65. I understand the AFL 50th thing, but if they are going to allow teams to wear one year throwbacks for any anniversary ending in 0 or 5, we are going to see a lot of changes in coming years.

As for the orange jerseys, as I have said before I think they look great. If I were starting a team from scratch I could see making that the outfit. However, it isn't Bears. The Bears identity is so strong that they shouldn't be wearing the orange alts.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

. .

It's hard to make sense of NFL team apparel regulations since they would allow GB to wear their Acme throwbacks again in 2011 if they so choose, but not let the Eagles wear the '60 Kelly Green throwbacks. The only reasoning I could think of is that GB hasn't had an alternate or throwback set, and Philly has had one in that black alternate, and even then it doesn't make sense since da Bears had an alternate with the orange jerseys yet last year were allowed to bring out their 40s throwbacks which weren't an anniversary of anything, only a tribute to their 'Monsters of the Midway' era.

I think we're relying entirely too much on secondhand reports, rumor and speculation.

. .

I think we're relying entirely too much on secondhand reports, rumor and speculation.

Rumors aside, the Bears' orange jerseys are back for the 2011 season.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Archived