Tennessee Titans Uniform Concept

ColeJ

Everyone and their dog seems to list the Titans amongst the worst-dressed teams in sports, and as a fan of the franchise dating back to their days in Texas (and my days of playing Sega Genesis football in elementary school), I wanted to see if I could fix that without completely re-inventing the wheel.

What bothers me the most about the Titans uniforms are simple fixes:

Over-use of dark pants on the home and alternate jersey.

Inconsistent stripes.

Pointy helmet stripes.

Overly-bright shade of "Oiler Blue" (even though the team calls it Titan Blue)

Unitard-style leggings.

Rather than simply fix these minor complaints, I decided I'd try to take that base and improve upon it.

One thing that has always struck me about the Titans is how amazingly simple their practice uniforms look. With a modern font and distinct colors like the Titans use, you don't need crazy piping and futuristic uniforms to look up to date. Sometimes simple and clean is the way to go.

With that in mind, I simplified the uniforms to a very classic and timeless look. Simple athletic striping paired with the easily-recognizable titans font, in a hybrid Titans/Oilers choice of blues... with a columbia blue lid, inspired by the 1960 throwbacks from last year.

Without further ado, here's what I came up with.

titanshome.png?t=1283249278titansroad.png?t=1283249299titansalt.png?t=1283249318

any and all comments and critiques would be greatly appreciated, as I'm fairly out of practice when it comes to uniform design.

I think the reson for the pointy half stripes on the helmet is because of the flame on the back of the logo. It just seems odd to have a seemingly boundless element like a flame confined by a stripe. Just like it would look odd for there to be a stripe on the Seahawks helmet, when you have a bird seemingly moving forward into infinity.

The half stripes, while dumb, acomplish the dual purpose of showing a traditional look from the front, while not binding the flame in the back. If you want traditional stripes, I'd lose the flame from the logo, or put the T-sword on there. The flame wouldn't look bad on the sleeve anyway.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would rather see the T logo that's currently on the sleeves be moved to the helmet. Their current helmet logo (the one you used) is too big to fit on a helmet that has normal stripes. It would have to be made smaller or moved forward (which seems to be what you did), and both of those options would look pretty bad IMO.

I really like everything else that you did.

The flame thing has always bothered me. I suppose that the Greek Titans were guardians of the elements, but if that's the case, why not build a logo around flame, earth, wind, etc...?

I think the Titans should just lop off the flames and go with the Tennessee star pattern and the "T-sword" thing.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I love the look, but agree that the stripes fencing in the flame is a bad choice. I'd almost rather have no stripes on the helmet. The rest looks great. Any chance you tried Light Blue numbers on the White jersey? With the Navy outline they should stand out enough. I think it would make more sense if they would match the White pants' striping. Good work, simple does a lot for this team.

I think your set looks really sharp!

You are right on when you said that the modern colors and font provide plenty of style. I think keeping a simple design helps the uni's from being too overwhelming.

I'm with a lot of you guys. I wish the titans would bail on their flame logo. no me gusta. the T on that logo looks half baked. The sword T is a really strong simple image that has a link to the team name and still has the 3 stars to tribute the state flag. the sword T is a step above their current primary.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

while i adore the T-sword logo, i just think it looks flat out awful on a helmet. i've seen countless concepts that use it as a helmet logo, and i just don't like the way it looks at all. too tall and skinny for a helmet, in my opinion.

good feedback so far. keep it coming, folks :)

Archived