Logo News From The Grapevine

the_cynic

I don't care for that antlers logo - the antlers look like they are mounted on the plaque on the wall, for heavens sake - a logo like that should be hanging in the boston garden or the spectrum, since the celtics or sixers always managed to 'bag' the bucks once deer season started in the playoffs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he was bemoaning the fact that the Hornets retired his jersey.

That's exactly what I was saying!

Pistol is a legend. Especially in New Orleans. I understand why they did it and i see no problem with it.

That maybe so but he still never played for the Hornets franchise. If everyone was allowed to do this then it would create a lot of messes.

Do the Bobcats get to retired #23 just because Michael Jordan is from North Carolina?

No, but maybe they should retire Bobby Phills' # 13, as his jersey was retired by a Charlotte NBA franchise.....

Keeping the off-topic thing going....

So, where should George Mikan's old Minneapolis Lakers jersey be retired? (I can't believe it hasn't been retired)

-- In Staples Center with the Lakers "franchise"?

-- Or in Minnesota, where he played for 'the Lakers' and made his home and was a vital part of the community for years afterward?

If I had to pick, I'd go with Minnesota. But it should be in both places, the same as Maravich's jersey (with the franchise and in his most-associated city).

Frankly, I thought it was pretty cool of the owners and the organization to recognize the late Pistol in that manner. Kind of a nod to New Orleans' NBA past and a well-remembered local son who played with the New Orleans Jazz and at LSU. Bobby Phills' retired jersey-- the old Charlotte style with the pinstripes-- is also hanging in the arena-- I wonder if the Bobcats will put up that jersey as well.

The only thing is, Maravich's Jazz "jersey" wrong, with piping along the sides, which it never had.

It is what it is.

"Obviously you don't know George Shinn, Ray Wooldridge, and company. The Hornets will go down as one of the worst managed franchises in all of professional sports, ever. They really don't get it."

Then again, I don't get the Bidwells [Cardinals] in Arizona, the Wirtz [blackhawks] family in Chicago, the Brown [bengals] clan in Cincinnati, or Donald Sterling in Clipperland. And of course, with the whole Eli Manning debacle, you just might add the Spanos family [Lightning Dolts] in San Diego.

Don't forget the Yorks in San Francisco (49ers). Side note: Shinn was at one time going to buy the San Francisco Giants in 1992 then pulled out at the last minute. The Giants were then on the verge of moving to Tampa's Florida Suncoast Dome (aka the Thunderdome aka Tropicana Field) but that was saved by Peter Magowan.

Getting back to the topic. I would suggest if the Jazz aren't going to change their name (especially since they have now an established history in Utah) I would go with a darker purple, bronze, black, and MAYBE mix that light blue and N.O. Jazz green as an accent color. Nix the mountains on the jersey and there ya go!

As for the Warriors or known in Oakland as the W's, nix the jerseys and try again. It looks bad when the Warriors just remove the blue from the numerals and typeface from the home jersey and just slap it on the blue roads. Gotta get more creative than that.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I know that it's not about to happen, but I just think the whole Utah Jazz identity is so ridiculous that it needs to be scrapped completely.

Why do you say this when there's so many pro teams out there with names that don't match their cities?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I know that it's not about to happen, but I just think the whole Utah Jazz identity is so ridiculous that it needs to be scrapped completely.

Why do you say this when there's so many pro teams out there with names that don't match their cities?

Like the Los Angeles Lakers :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Yeah, but very few as off as the Jazz.

I wouldn't say that. That could easily be debated.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I wouldn't say that. That could easily be debated.

Well, either way. If there is a team name that is that far from the logo, theirs should be scrapped too.

But honestly, how many people really think of "jazz music" when they hear or see the Utah Jazz? You forget that the word "jazz" could mean more than one thing. I know it originated as the "New Orleans Jazz" and it referred to the great history of the "Jazz Music" within the New Orleans area but as the owner, Larry H. Miller has the right to chance the meaning of the "Jazz" name even if it did originate as something else.

Retired Number's To Come

I would say that the Lakers are just as far off as the Jazz, if not more.. but who would dare touch that one?

Those two are probably the worst offenders in the big 4.

But they're never be changed. The Jazz have a chance of changing if Miller ever sells the team but he has also said that he won't sell it to just anyone. I think the "Jazz" name is stuck in Utah for a while to come. New Orleans just better get used to it.

Retired Number's To Come

Why does he say things starting with "I just think" ??

Well, namely because as I can tell, BiB is a thinking man. Hes got lots of thoughts. A lot of really well defined opinions, viewpoints, and excellent facts.

I think he says things like "I just think the ID is ridiculous" because... well... he thinks it is ridiculous.

We all get to think.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Why does he say things starting with "I just think" ??

Well, namely because as I can tell, BiB is a thinking man. Hes got lots of thoughts. A lot of really well defined opinions, viewpoints, and excellent facts.

I think he says things like "I just think the ID is ridiculous" because... well... he thinks it is ridiculous.

We all get to think.

Wow, you really inspired me with that last post.

Retired Number's To Come

Bs, im sorry to pile on, but MUST you be a jerkass in all your posts? I mean we are supposed to be civil with each other, and you think its a pissing contest.

Its not.

But if it was, you wouldent win, so get over yourself and grow up.

Bs, im sorry to pile on, but MUST you be a jerkass in all your posts? I mean we are supposed to be civil with each other, and you think its a pissing contest.

I ask that same question to paynomind.

The only way we're all going to get along is if we ALL stop. I'm all for stopping just as long as paynomind stops being a dick himself.

Move along move along.

Retired Number's To Come

Archived