iTunes Icon Change

altosax29b

Can't wait until I can make fun of kids for not knowing what a CD is. Just like old people keep pestering me about not knowing what an "8 track" (ape track?) is. I still don't know.

I like neither icon, personally.

How old are you, punk? And ever heard of Google? :D

Just kiddin'. You make me feel old.

Here's your history lesson, junior. This is an 8-track tape deck in a vehicle. And yep, my very first car had one.

8track1.jpgnByo2OcZstyoBCn.jpg

The tapes are enormous, even compared to a cassette. The best (meaning worst) thing about them was how the tracks changed, sometimes in the middle of a song. The volume would fade (like music on an iPhone when a call comes in), there'd be this big 'clunk-clunk' as the track changed, then the song would come back. Pretty barbaric all in all.

Your response brought back a fond memory. At a garage sale many years ago, my daughters probably like 9 and 10 at the time, saw an 8-track player and had the same reaction you had: "What is that thing?" They were fascinated by it, kind of like I'd be fascinated by a Victrola I guess. B)

Victrola.gif

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I agree that the CD needed to go, but come on, it's an incredibly lazy update.

It's just a Web 2.0 music note. Apple's graphic package, while unified and whole, is just a Web 2.0 gloss over everything. To me, it's very boring.

To be fair I believe Apple started that on the large scale. (I won't say they were first cause I"m sure someone somewhere was doing the glossy button thing...)

Didn't it start with iMac which was around 2000 (not sure exact year) and Web 2.0 stuff really didn't gain traction til 06 or so right?

If it wasn't iMac that started it it was defiantly OSX which was 2002 I believe, still before the rise of the Web 2.0 look.

Not saying they shouldn't update or anything but by now...its almost a brand in itself.

• 2 weeks later...

everyone that is bitching about how the new logo is sooo bad.....what are your thoughts on nike...target...cbs... are all these logos "crap" just because they are simple?

i just find it amusing that so many people bitch about logos on this board because they aren't a clusterf#ck.

i personally love it...the previous was just clipart..this one has some style...simplistic style... when you now see that double music note on a blue circle...you will EASILY recognize it as itunes...which the the ENTIRE POINT IN LOGOS.

footer_helmet.gif

everyone that is bitching about how the new logo is sooo bad.....what are your thoughts on nike...target...cbs... are all these logos "crap" just because they are simple?

i just find it amusing that so many people bitch about logos on this board because they aren't a clusterf#ck.

i personally love it...the previous was just clipart..this one has some style...simplistic style... when you now see that double music note on a blue circle...you will EASILY recognize it as itunes...which the the ENTIRE POINT IN LOGOS.

i dont see what there is to love....or hate. its just another icon logo. its not inspirational design, but im pretty sure its not supposed to be.

Here's Steve Job's replies to one of the people who had nothing better to do with his time than email Apple about a friggin' logo:

Following Wednesday?s release of iTunes 10, many users have mixed views and opinions on a lot of the changes that have come with it, particularly to its appearance. One notable change was the update of the application?s icon; after many years, the familiar music note over a CD has been updated to the simplistic, blue glowing icon above. Whilst some users have welcomed the modern design, others have criticised its appearance.

Wired reports that one user, Joshua Kopac, dislikes the icon so much, that he decided to email Steve Jobs with his opinion on the change.

Steve,

Enjoyed the presentation today. But?this new iTunes logo really sucks. You?re taking 10+ years of instant product recognition and replacing it with an unknown. Let?s both cross our fingers on this?

A short and sweet reply from Jobs? email account simply read:

We disagree.

Sent from my iPhone

Wired claim that they?ve reviewed Kopac?s email for authenticity and believe it to be true. If it is indeed genuine, it?s nice to see that despite Apple?s disagreement with this disgruntled user, they still took the time to reply, albeit very briefly.

Here's Steve Job's replies to one of the people who had nothing better to do with his time than email Apple about a friggin' logo:

Following Wednesday?s release of iTunes 10, many users have mixed views and opinions on a lot of the changes that have come with it, particularly to its appearance. One notable change was the update of the application?s icon; after many years, the familiar music note over a CD has been updated to the simplistic, blue glowing icon above. Whilst some users have welcomed the modern design, others have criticised its appearance.

Wired reports that one user, Joshua Kopac, dislikes the icon so much, that he decided to email Steve Jobs with his opinion on the change.

Steve,

Enjoyed the presentation today. But?this new iTunes logo really sucks. You?re taking 10+ years of instant product recognition and replacing it with an unknown. Let?s both cross our fingers on this?

We disagree.

Sent from my iPhone

Wired claim that they?ve reviewed Kopac?s email for authenticity and believe it to be true. If it is indeed genuine, it?s nice to see that despite Apple?s disagreement with this disgruntled user, they still took the time to reply, albeit very briefly.

Jobs needs all the positive PR he can get after the "you're holding it wrong" fiasco. That was ridiculous.

Steve,

We disagree.

Sent from my iPhone

Jobs needs all the positive PR he can get after the "you're holding it wrong" fiasco. That was ridiculous.

Actually, one of the reasons I like Steve Jobs, is that he just doesn't give a flying leap what anyone thinks of him. If you've ever read his responses to emails, they can be pretty hilarious, as it's the way we all at one time or another want to respond. He's just so secure in who he is and where he is, that he can.

Steve,

We disagree.

Sent from my iPhone

Actually, one of the reasons I like Steve Jobs, is that he just doesn't give a flying leap what anyone thinks of him. If you've ever read his responses to emails, they can be pretty hilarious, as it's the way we all at one time or another want to respond. He's just so secure in who he is and where he is, that he can.

So is that a nice way of saying he's a jackass because he can be? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived