The Worst Sports Injuries...

LEWJ

So what are the worst sports-related injuries you've ever experienced and/or seen?

I've seen some pretty wicked leg injuries.

Some that standout in my mind are LT's hit on Joe Theismann, Will Allen's hit on Willis McGahee, and when Shaun Livingston shredded his ACL. Oh, and I forgot about Ryan Powdrell's injury at USC. That was nasty.

What about you

(YouTube will help with this one...)

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Napolean McCalum's knee injury in the 1994 MNF opener. It was so bad he almost had to have his leg amputated because it damaged the artery in the leg.

Clint Milarchuck getting his throat slashed

Moises Alou ankle turns his ankle.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Clint Milarchuck getting his throat slashed

+1

Forgot about that one.

Honorable mention, Richard Zednik.

EDIT: Also just watched that MNF injury, that was rough.

Geez, I'm also extremely amazed at the number of horrifying injuries there are in sports, especially after browsing around on YouTube. I can't believe there have been a number of deaths on the soccer field. Crazy...

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The worst injury I saw was at a JV soccer game. It was never videotaped, and perhaps it was just as well. I remember this kid at forward charging on a breakaway with the ball towards the goal. He was really pumping his legs going full bore. The only person between him and the goalie was a defensive back who knowing he had no chance at stopping him stuck out his leg to trip him. You would think the idiot doing the tripping would be the one to get hurt, and in a fair world he would have. Instead the fool managed to break the poor kid's leg right below the knee. His momentum carried him forward another half step before fully breaking the leg. And somehow as his good leg continued to move him forward, his now broken leg managed to kick him in the back of his own head. I have yet to figure out how, and I was right on the sideline watching it. The entire field of players, parents, coaches and officials let out a collective "Ooooooh!" As the kid collapsed to the ground in a pile. The referee for all the good it did called a penalty (whoop dee doo) and the coach of the injured player had to hold back several of his players from killing the offender. It was only the screaming of sheer agony that drew his teammates back. The cries were horrible to hear especially when one saw his leg bent in was that God never intended. The only reason he started to quiet down was becasue he started to go into shock. Thankfully there was already an ambulance and EMT at the fields and the hospital was very nearby. Even so it was NOT an severe injury one expects to see associated with soccer.

While the injured kid did manage to make a recovery, it took several surgeries and a couple years of rehab. To my knowledge he walks just fine, but he's never played again. I must say this is one of the reasons I HATE professional soccer players who do that "diving" or "flopping" nonsense, rolling around pretending to be in agony trying to draw a cheap penalty, and then just casually get up and game on. When you've seen the real deal, faking just seems all the more pathetic.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The worst injury I saw was at a JV soccer game. It was never videotaped, and perhaps it was just as well. I remember this kid at forward charging on a breakaway with the ball towards the goal. He was really pumping his legs going full bore. The only person between him and the goalie was a defensive back who knowing he had no chance at stopping him stuck out his leg to trip him. You would think the idiot doing the tripping would be the one to get hurt, and in a fair world he would have. Instead the fool managed to break the poor kid's leg right below the knee. His momentum carried him forward another half step before fully breaking the leg. And somehow as his good leg continued to move him forward, his now broken leg managed to kick him in the back of his own head. I have yet to figure out how, and I was right on the sideline watching it. The entire field of players, parents, coaches and officials let out a collective "Ooooooh!" As the kid collapsed to the ground in a pile. The referee for all the good it did called a penalty (whoop dee doo) and the coach of the injured player had to hold back several of his players from killing the offender. It was only the screaming of sheer agony that drew his teammates back. The cries were horrible to hear especially when one saw his leg bent in was that God never intended. The only reason he started to quiet down was becasue he started to go into shock. Thankfully there was already an ambulance and EMT at the fields and the hospital was very nearby. Even so it was an severe injury one expects to see associated with soccer.

While the injured kid did manage to make a recovery, it took several surgeries and a couple years of rehab. To my knowledge he walks just fine, but he's never played again. I must say this is one of the reasons I HATE professional soccer players who do that "diving" or "flopping" nonsense, rolling around pretending to be in agony trying to draw a cheap penalty, and then just casually get up and game on. When you've seen the real deal, faking just seems all the more pathetic.

Ooookay, I just about threw up picturing that in my head.

The worst injury I saw was at a JV soccer game. It was never videotaped, and perhaps it was just as well. I remember this kid at forward charging on a breakaway with the ball towards the goal. He was really pumping his legs going full bore. The only person between him and the goalie was a defensive back who knowing he had no chance at stopping him stuck out his leg to trip him. You would think the idiot doing the tripping would be the one to get hurt, and in a fair world he would have. Instead the fool managed to break the poor kid's leg right below the knee. His momentum carried him forward another half step before fully breaking the leg. And somehow as his good leg continued to move him forward, his now broken leg managed to kick him in the back of his own head. I have yet to figure out how, and I was right on the sideline watching it. The entire field of players, parents, coaches and officials let out a collective "Ooooooh!" As the kid collapsed to the ground in a pile. The referee for all the good it did called a penalty (whoop dee doo) and the coach of the injured player had to hold back several of his players from killing the offender. It was only the screaming of sheer agony that drew his teammates back. The cries were horrible to hear especially when one saw his leg bent in was that God never intended. The only reason he started to quiet down was becasue he started to go into shock. Thankfully there was already an ambulance and EMT at the fields and the hospital was very nearby. Even so it was an severe injury one expects to see associated with soccer.

OUCH!

Coventry defender David Busst shattered his leg against Manchester United, back in the mid 90s. I would go youtube it, but its pretty horrifying to see. The most memorable thing from the footage is Peter Schmeichel's face.

On a personal level, I did dislocate my knee cap. Pretty shocking when I actually did it, and the knee still causes me discomfort from time to time.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Even so it was an severe injury one expects to see associated with soccer.

Not sure if you meant to say "no one expects to see associated with soccer", but I assure you soccer players get their fair share of horrific injuries. I have a number of stories very similar to yours that I've seen first hand. Here are some examples:

Coventry defender David Busst shattered his leg against Manchester United, back in the mid 90s. I would go youtube it, but its pretty horrifying to see. The most memorable thing from the footage is Peter Schmeichel's face.

On a personal level, I did dislocate my knee cap. Pretty shocking when I actually did it, and the knee still causes me discomfort from time to time.

I just saw it and didn't see anything horrifying. That's just my opinion. I'm sure I disagree with the masses on this matter.

Even so it was an severe injury one expects to see associated with soccer.

Not sure if you meant to say "no one expects to see associated with soccer", but I assure you soccer players get their fair share of horrific injuries. I have a number of stories very similar to yours that I've seen first hand.

I left out the NOT by mistake. I'm not saying that injuries in soccer aren't common, but when I think of really bad bang-ups I usually think of either ice hockey or gridiron before soccer as they seem to happen every game I think it migt be becasue of the lack of protective equipment or the lack of tolerance towards physical altercations on the field of play the sport is associated with.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

In my junior year of high school, I was tripped in a hockey game and threw out my arm to break my fall. I heard (and felt!) the pop that anyone who's had a major injury knows so well. Diagnosis: Completely dislocated elbow. Every single ligament was torn, according to my orthopedist. That was a bitch.

I consider myself lucky though that I've never hurt either of my legs. I still cringe when I see anyone's leg get broken.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

That I've caused (And there are a lot of them.)

Wow, you sound like a real bad-ass. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not very good at basketball fundamentally speaking, and I tend to play very brutaly on the basketball court. I figure that if I can knock out my opponent's best player and get ejected, I'm actually doing my team a favor. For one thing, I'm no big loss to my team. Secondly, if I can knock out their best player, I soften up the other guys so it's easier for my team to win.

Well, I'm not very good at basketball fundamentally speaking, and I tend to play very brutaly on the basketball court. I figure that if I can knock out my opponent's best player and get ejected, I'm actually doing my team a favor. For one thing, I'm no big loss to my team. Secondly, if I can knock out their best player, I soften up the other guys so it's easier for my team to win.

So then you're an admitted goon, no?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So then you're an admitted goon, no?

Yeah. But I'm done acting that way on these boards.

Archived