Curt Schilling, True Bostonian

slapshot

Is it me?  I see this as kind of hypocritical on Schilling's part, considering he wanted to be a Yankee even more than he wanted to be traded to the Red Sox.  But give him credit, he's really getting himself in good with the fans in Boston, and his performance thus far isn't hurting his cause.

As a Yankees fan, I absolutely love the hatred my team gets from fans of all the other teams, in both leagues.  I can't wait to go away to college in the fall, partially for that reason.  So when you natives of Tempe, AZ see an obnoxious kid walking around in a Yankee hat, you'll know it's me.

An obnoxious kid walking around in a Yankees hat. Like the world needs another Fred Durst.

Durst is playing for the Yankees? :therock:

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

The Tigers do have the most underrated tradition, considering they have had some excellent players get totally shafted by the H.O.F. Detroit says it's Hockeytown, but when they're going well, there is nothing in this town bigger than the Tigers.

Yes, that is a great hat, but did anyone else catch that that was Keith Foulke sitting behind him in the modern black Bruins jersey?

I agree about the Tigers. They are underrated as a franchise. People don't talk about 1968 enough. A 30 game winner. A World Series championship. Wasn't crime a major problem in Detroit at the time?

If Illitch focuses on the Tigers more, then I can see them being a playoff contender.

I saw, I came, I left.

Doesn't Milwaukee have 3 championships in Football from tagging on the backs of Green Bay? Boston hasn't had anything good in basketball since 1986. I believe Marquette and Wisconsin have had more success lately than Boston College and UMass. Aren't the Admirals still in the AHL playoffs? Further than the Bruins. Just because your idiot of an owner screwed up your team and the game for everyone else, don't start coming down on Red Sox fans.

Besides, what does complaining about the Yankees have to do with the other sports in town? I don't hate New York. I hate a lot of the teams that play there (or nearby). I like the NY Giants. I own an Islanders blue, and a Rangers Liberty head jersey.

But until the Red Sox win the World Series, the fans will always hate the Yankees. Probably after it too. It's ingrained. You're supposed to hate your biggest rivals. Red Sox hate the Yankees, and vice versa.

I understand the rivaly, but if I walked into any sports bar in Boston, what do you think I'd hear more: "The Patriots are goin' back to back" or "Fk the Yankees?" (seriously, I don't know, but I'm assuming it's the latter)

Now to draw a paralell, if the Brewers got eliminated by the Cubs in the playoffs every year, but the Packers just won the Super Bowl, most of us would be talking about the Packers.

And it's funny you should mention 1986 because I see much more footage of Bill Buckner in the Series than I do of Larry Bird in the finals that year. I just don't understand all the focus on the negatives.

But to answer a couple of your queries:

The Packers have 12 championships (and 3 Super Bowls), a few of which were held here. And there's more Packers fans in Milwaukee than there are people in Green Bay. So if anyone is tagging on anyone elses back, it's the other way around.

And yea, the Ads are doing the best of all the MIL teams right now, but bragging about that would be like Bostonians bragging that the Paw Sox are gonna win the AAA World Series...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Isn't Shilling's kid named after a famous Yankee. I agree with Waffels it is hypocritical. If Schilling could join the Yankees now he would. He wanted to be a Yankee big time. The thing that kept him from pinstripes was the Arizona didn't like what the Yankees offered.

The thing I hate most is Red Sox fans complaining about the Yankees spending when the Red Sox are the exact same way. The years the Yankees won the Championships, the Red Sox had a higher payroll. And what I find funny is when people say the Yankees bought thier championships. The WS winning teams played as a TEAM. The money was spent on keeping the players they already had. The core of the team was built from the farm system, and they brought in vets to surrong them. They didn't bring in stars, the brought in team players like Tino Martinez, and Scott Brosius. Unfortunatly the Yankees lost game 7 in 2001 and George went crazy and now the Yankees have guys like Giambi and Sheffield instead of Martinez and O'Neill.

Is it just as hypocritical that his is greatly involved in a charity that funds and supports reasearch for ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease, a condition named after a former Yankee too? I think his kid was named Gehrig as a reminder of the charity because a family member died of it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Is it just as hypocritical that his is greatly involved in a charity that funds and supports reasearch for ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease, a condition named after a former Yankee too? I think his kid was named Gehrig as a reminder of the charity because a family member died of it.

thanks for clearing that up, I did not know that baout his family member. But he has in the past expressed interest in coming to the Yankees.

Isn't Shilling's kid named after a famous Yankee. I agree with Waffels it is hypocritical. If Schilling could join the Yankees now he would. He wanted to be a Yankee big time. The thing that kept him from pinstripes was the Arizona didn't like what the Yankees offered.

It was Nate15's point, but I do agree...

Schilling's kid is named Gehrig and his member name on the Red Sox fan board (SoSH) and NYYFans.com (which I frequent) is Gehrig38.

The reason Schilling is in Boston and not the Bronx right now, if you subscribe to the popular theory, is David Wells. Flash back to a few offseasons ago...David Wells has a handshake agreement with the D'Backs, but meets Steinbrenner for lunch in Tampa before going to Phoenix to finalize the deal. Long story short, King George convinces Boomer to forget the D'Backs and sign with the Yankees. Colangelo accuses Steinbrenner of acting in bad faith and, according to the theory, begins a policy of unfair dealings with the Yankees.

Hence the Soriano and Nick Johnson for Schilling offer the D'Backs asked for. For what we might have given up for Schilling, we got A-Rod and Javy Vasquez.

The Tigers do have the most underrated tradition, considering they have had some excellent players get totally shafted by the H.O.F. Detroit says it's Hockeytown, but when they're going well, there is nothing in this town bigger than the Tigers.

Yes, that is a great hat, but did anyone else catch that that was Keith Foulke sitting behind him in the modern black Bruins jersey?

I agree about the Tigers. They are underrated as a franchise. People don't talk about 1968 enough. A 30 game winner. A World Series championship. Wasn't crime a major problem in Detroit at the time?

If Illitch focuses on the Tigers more, then I can see them being a playoff contender.

yep, the city went through some pretty bad riots in '67....so bad, that willie horton would come out of the stadium after games still in uniform and try to calm people down....the '68 team brought a divided city back together and are still viewed as heroes in detroit.

there's a great documentary that was on HBO about the tigers and this era in detroit called "City On Fire"....good stuff.

Archived