Your "Second Team"

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL

Favorite: Redskins (obviously)

2nd: Packers - They're my dad's favorite team. I used to have a Favre jersey when I was little.

MLB

Favorite: Tigers

2nd: Reds - They're the nearest NL team, plus I like their hats.

NCAA

Favorite: Notre Dame

2nd: Penn State - Not sure why, I've just always liked them.

spacer.png

MLB 1st team: Twins

2nd team: Marlins, I listen to the Dan LeBatard Show, which is on the flagship station of the Marlins. They always talk about the team so I feel connected to them. Otherwise I like the Rays too, since I talk to raysox a lot.

NFL 1st team: Vikings

2nd team: I might have to say Dolphins for the same reason I say Marlins. Otherwise, no one. Favre, baby, Favre.

NHL 1st team: Wild

2nd team: None. To be quite honest I don't like the NHL all that much. College hockey is much more entertaining.

NBA 1st team: Well, Heat now. Bandwagon yes, but also for the reasons I said Dolphins and Fins. There's so much excitement there now.

2nd team: T-Wolves, hey they're kind of cool.

NCAA (football, basketball): Minnesota

2nd team: None, over the course of a game I pick a team I want to win.

MLB 1st team: Minnesota Twins

2nd team: I guess.. Anaheim Angels

NFL 1st team: Minnesota Vikings

2nd team: Miami Dolphins

NHL 1st team: Minnesota Wild

2nd Team: Los Angeles Kings

3rd Team: Anahiem Ducks

NBA 1st team: Oklahoma City Thunder

2nd team: Minnesota TimberWolves (Getting the theme? any minnesota team are usually 1 or 2 except for..)

NCAA football: University of Hawai'i Warriors

2nd team: University of California - Los Angeles Bruins

3rd team: Oklahoma University Sooners

spacer.png

I don't really have secondary favorites other than in soccer where I like Liverpool and the Kansas City Wizards. Outside of that, I just have my one favorite team and might root for an ever-changing group of teams to do well because I like the way they play or for some other reason. For instance, I'd like to see the Phoenix Suns do well since I like Steve Nash and I like the way they play. Or during the World Cup I rooted for the USA over all others, but also kind of liked the Netherlands and Spain, but I rooted mostly for the Dutch in the final (not that it hurt me either way).

NFL:

Favorite: Cowboys

Second Team: Raiders

My mom was a Raiders fan when they used to play in LA and always kept rooting for them even when they went to Oakland. Became a fan because of her.

NBA:

Favorite: Lakers

Second Team: Clippers

I always root for the Clippers when they're not playing the Lakers. Here in LA, they're like the little brother that you want to see do well.

Soccer:

Favorite: Newcastle United

Second Team: LA Galaxy

They are the local team with my favorite soccer player, Landon Donovan.

NHL:

Favorite: Ducks

Second Team: Kings

Never saw the "rivalry" between these two teams. Really isn't that big of a deal where I am.

MLB:

Favorite Angels

Second Teams: Dodgers

My mom again, is a huge Dodgers fan so I couldn't help but to like them too.

NCAA:

Favorite: UCLA

Second Team: None.

It's UCLA or nothing for me when it comes to college sports.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

MLB #1: Twins

#2: Rockies - Coors Field is beautiful and they always keep fighting til the end. Very respectable franchise.

NFL #1: Vikings

#2: None. Can't cheer for anyone but the purple & gold.

NBA #1: Heat - BANDWAGON. I'll jump back down to the Wolves once they start winning.

#2: Wolves None. Can't possibly cheer for them without losing respect from many people. :)

NHL #1: Wild

#2: None. Don't care for hockey that much. I jump on the bandwagon of playoff teams that I think are underdogs.

NCAA: Golden Gophers. I love the U of M and plan on going there in 3 years. They have a baseball team that competes for the Big Ten title every year. Also, their basketball and hockey teams field competitive teams most years. Football, eh. They have their moments.

#2: None.

My point? I don't really have a 2nd team in most sports. I like to stay loyal, besides the fact I jumped on the Heat's bandwagon. Sure, I follow some teams just because they're fun to watch. But I wouldn't consider them my 2nd favorite teams.

1. New York Giants

2. New York Jets

1. New Jersey Devils

2. Boston Bruins

1. New York Yankees

2. Washington Nationals

1. Notre Dame Football

2. Rutgers Football

1. Duke Basketball

2. Seton Hall Basketball

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This is something that has crossed my mind every now and again, but seeing someone mention that they had adopted the Texans as their "Second Team" in the NFL thread reminded me of it.

Your Welcome :P

NFL

Favorite Team: Cincinnati Bengals

Second Team: Houston Texans (mainly becuase of Andre Johnson).

NBA

Favorite Team: Memphis Grizzlies

Second Team: Any team with LeBron, Steve Nash, Reggie Williams, or Paul Pierce. I root for the Pacers as well since they're less than 90 minutes away and drafted former Bearcat Lance Stephenson. If I truly had a hometown team, I might hate some of these guys, but with not basketball team in Cincinnati, it's really a grab bag here.

MLB

Favorite Team: Cincinnati Reds

Second Team: Tampa Bay Rays, and any team that Edwin Encarnacion is on.

NHL

Favorite Team: Columbus Blue Jackets

Second Team: Colorado Avalanche (all my childhood hockey heroes it seemed were on this team)

NCAA

Favorite School: Cincinnati (you can add my school, NKU, to basketball as well)

Second School (s): It usually depends on my NCFA teams, right now it's VMI/Butler (Basketball) and Tulsa (Football)

MLB:

1. Orioles

2. Cubs- I liked watching game on WGN as a kid, so they've always been my NL team

NFL

1. Ravens

2. Was the Packers, I'm a huge Brett Favre fan. When he left that changed. I never really picked the Vikings or Jets as a second, but I did root for the Vikings when the Ravens were eliminated. Don't really have a second favorite team as of now.

I don't really watch the NBA and NHL enough to have a second favorite team. I started rooting for the Sharks after watching the Olympics, because I've always liked their logo and uniforms. I don't have a favorite NBA team as of now. I use to like the Suns, because of Steve Nash. That's kind of ended, since their not the offensive giants they once were. But I'd still love to see Nash win a title.

I'm a Mets/Jets/Rangers/PSU Football fan and that's pretty much it. (Don't care about the NBA anymore, I was a Nets fan).

But when they're out of it (which happens more often than not) I find myself pulling for the underdog, whoever that may be.

If its a team that hasn't won in forever I'll pull for them over someone that has won recently. If it's anyone vs. a team I hate I'll pull for that team as well.

I do have some hats and jerseys of other teams but I'd never get one of a team I hate for rivalry or some other reason.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

My favorite teams are FAR and away my favorites...and I usually cheer for PLAYERS that I like on other teams...but if I had to say 2nd favorite teams...

NBA Favorite: Minnesota Timberwolves

Next: OKC Thunder

MLB Favorite: Minnesota Twins

Next: Chicago Cubs/Milwaukee Brewers

NFL Favorite: Minnesota Vikings

Next: New York Jets/Denver Broncos

NHL Favorite: Minnesota Wild

Next: Colorado Avalanche

NCAA Favorite: Kansas

Next: Minnesota

HybridLogos-NBA-Timberwolves.png?t=1336836952

As said above my first's are far from my 2nd, other than college football.

NFL

1 Jets-Raised as a fan.

2 Texans-Liked them since they came in the league.

MLB

1 Mets-Raised as a fan

2 Cubs- I pity them

NBA

1 Knicks-Raised a fan

2 Wizards-Liked them when Jordan joined

NHL

1 Islanders-First game was islanders

2 Blackhawks- Loved the logo

College Football

Hawaii- thought they were funny being from Hawaii when I was little.

Boise- Fiesta Bowl Win

As said above my first's are far from my 2nd, other than college football.

NFL

1 Jets-Raised as a fan.

2 Texans-Liked them since they came in the league.

MLB

1 Mets-Raised as a fan

2 Cubs- I pity them

NBA

1 Knicks-Raised a fan

2 Wizards-Liked them when Jordan joined

NHL

1 Islanders-First game was islanders

2 Blackhawks- Loved the logo

College Football

Hawaii- thought they were funny being from Hawaii when I was little.

Boise- Fiesta Bowl Win

You must be from the Big Apple.

MLB

1. Angels

2. Dodgers

NBA

1. Lakers

2. Kings (I have an uncle up in the Sacramento area, plus the Clippers are a complete joke)

NHL

1. Kings

2. Ducks

NFL

1. Chargers

2. Chiefs (my family's all originally from KC)

NCAA Football

1. USC (LMU doesn't have a football program, and seeing as how UCLA sent me the rejection letter, kinda adopted them by default)

2. Whatever underdog's trying to screw up the BCS

NCAA Basketball

1. LMU

2. Kansas (family connection, plus my great-grandfather designed one of the original Jayhawk logos)

VmWIn6B.png

This is a good idea for a thread, and since I'm new I figured I'd post here.

When it comes to my teams, I usually root for the Detroit or Boston teams since I was born in San Antonio, Texas and other than the Spurs we had nothing else that far south to root for when it came to Major League Baseball, the National Football League, or the National Hockey League... and we still don't, lol. Basically, I was born in 1983 and grew up when the Cowboys and Oilers were very average at best, since baseball and hockey were non-factors there, and when it came to Detroit and Boston, I always admired their second-city/underdog status to Chicago and New York respectfully (and yes, I did live in Detroit and Boston for brief periods of time). Actually, I don't hate Chicago like I do when it comes to places like Los Angeles, New York, and Washington D.C. when it comes to sports. So anyway, here's my favorite teams and second/third-favorite teams...

NBA Favorite Teams: San Antonio Spurs, and Atlanta Hawks (pretty much self-explanatory here)

2nd/3rd Favorite Team: Seattle Supersonics, though the reason was purely because of their colors and logos. I'm still a sucker for green and gold. However, with them recently moving to Oklahoma City and the referee scandal coming out I've pretty much boycotted basketball. That's sad, really, since I grew up in a basketball-loving community.

MLB Favorite Team: Detroit Tigers, and Boston Red Sox (once again self-explanatory here too)

2nd/3rd Favorite Team: Colorado Rockies, since I do have a soft spot for them as I live about 20 minutes from Coors Field and admire their style of play and the way they have built and run their franchise. Plus, I don't have any rooting interest when it comes to the National League.

NFL Favorite Team: New England Patriots, and Green Bay Packers (like the Seattle Supersonics, the first time I saw the Green Bay Packers and being from a small-market like San Antonio, I just fell in love with them and their tradition. But no, I have not, nor will ever care about the Detroit Lions no matter how well they do... to me they're so bad they should be contracted for the betterment of the league)

2nd/3rd Favorite Team: If it's not Green Bay or New England, then I would have to say the New Orleans Saints, simply because I like Sean Payton and Drew Brees and was very happy to see them and the city of New Orleans win something. Honestly, I can't remember rooting so hard for an underdog that wasn't one of my teams to win.

NHL Favorite Team: Detroit Red Wings, and Boston Bruins (yeah, not really a surprise here either)

2nd/3rd Favorite Team: Buffalo Sabres, strangely enough I do like a single New York team, though it's western New York, and the reason was pretty simple; I used to love watching Dominik Hasek play and loved their uniforms. He wasn't a technically-sound goaltender, so it reminded me of what I might do if I was playing that position. When it comes to their identity, I just love the name and the uniforms, and despite the fact they're going back to their old threads I will miss the Buffaslug and those futuristic uniforms as I though they were one of the modern classics when it comes to all of sports. Plus, if they are to revert back to their original look, drop the silver, it has no place in the retro look.

NCAA Favorite Team: Texas

2nd Favorite Team: Michigan, as I simply gravitated more towards them than any of the college teams out on the east coast when I lived there.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on these forums when I mention I love green-and-gold, blue-and-gold (maize), and black-and-silver identities to name a few.

Being from the UK I've had my fair share of "second teams", often flitting from one team to another from season to season as I don't have any loyalties to a city. I also tend to pick a team for the World Series, Stanley Cup and Superbowl if my chosen favourite doesn't make it.That being said, it currently stands like this..MLB:=1)Rays, Diamondbacks2)GiantsHonourable mention to former "seconds"; '02 Angles, '05 Astros, '03 & '97 Marlins and the '92 JaysNHL:1)Bruins2)CanucksNFL:1)Patriots2)n/aMLL1)Cannons2)NationalsNBA, NCAA n/a

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

MLB

Favorite Team: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim -- I'm not sure how I started liking the Halos. I just kind of did, and haven't stopped.

2nd Favorite: Cincinnati Reds (for now). Basically, wherever Jim Edmonds goes, my fandom follows. The Cards were the only team I followed really closely and actually bought hats and such for. I probably won't buy any Reds gear, but I'll be rooting for them to make the playoffs and such this year. Once Jimmy leaves baseball, I'd imagine I'll adopt the Orioles as a backup team, as I've grown up going to Baltimore games (even more than Phillies' games).

NFL

Favorite Team: Detroit Lions -- It's safe to say that I'm a Lions fan because of Barry Sanders. I started liking them when I was 6, way back in 1991.

2nd Favorite: I really don't have one in football, although I like the Jets, Browns and Dolphins. I wouldn't consider any of them a "2nd team" though. They're just teams I don't hate, more than anything.

NBA

Favorite Team: Phoenix Suns -- My brother was a Barkley fan, and when he went to Phoenix, we both became Suns fans.

2nd Favorite: It was the Heat for the longest time because of Dan Majerle, but since he retired, I don't really pay much attention to the NBA. I don't even follow the Suns all that closely, and the whole Lebron/Bosh/Wade trio makes me like the Heat less, actually.

NHL

Favorite Team: Detroit Red Wings -- I started liking the Wings because i liked the Lions. It was before they won a Stanley Cup (in my lifetime, anyway), for the record.

2nd Favorite: It used to be Montreal (not sure why), then Calgary (when Darren McCarty went there)....now, due to a certain Stevie GM, it might be the Lightning.

NCAA

Favorite Team: University of Pittsburgh Panthers -- My brother went there

2nd favorite: I had a Florida Gators sweatshirt when I was about 4 or 5, so I've always been a Gators' fan. I also slightly follow Notre Dame, although I wouldn't consider them to really be a 2nd team.

Nice idea for a concept.

MLB- 1. Chicago Cubs (Obvious)

2. Washington Nationals

Living in Maryland, I go to a lot of Nationals games, (I go to Orioles games too, but I'm an NL guy) so I have adopted the Nats as my 2nd team.

Honorable mentions: Tampa Bay Rays- (I was a Devil Rays fan [before they were good]. I like them mostly for their uniforms and I like the city of Tampa.

Seattle Mariners- I absolutely LOVE Seattle and the Mariners and their fans.

NFL- 1. Chicago Bears (Obvious)

2. New York Jets- My uncle is a huge Jets fan so I got hooked on them during last years playoffs.

Honorable mentions: San Francisco 49ers (City of San Francisco and uniforms), Houston Texans (uniforms)

NBA- 1. Chicago Bulls (Obvious)

2. Oklahoma City Thunder- I was a Sonics fan for the same reason as the Mariners so I followed them to OKC.

Honorable Mentions: Portland Trail Blazers (City of Portland, uniforms)

NHL- 1. Chicago Blackhawks (Ditto)

2. I don't really have a second favorite NHL teams, I'm a Hawks fan all the way but I guess I kinda like the Edmonton Oilers...

EDIT: Ah, NCAA.

NCAA- 1. Cincinnati Bearcats- My dad and grandfather went there so I'm hoping to go there in a few years.

2. None. Bearcats all the way!

25yzwqg.png

Archived