Your "Second Team"

gingerbreadmann

There's no splitting of loyalties. I've always been a 49ers fan, but live in LA. Am I gonna just decide that I have two teams if the NFL puts one here? No way. I already have my team. There should be no room in a fan's life for more than one team in a league/sport. If there is, then you're just not very devoted, which is fine. There's nothing wrong with being a casual fan if that's what you're going for. But then you might as well have a third and fourth team.

Well I guess you told us eh? Lighten up dude. I haven't seen anyone post that they're every bit as into their "second" team as they are there first. The way I interpreted the question was more like "who do you like to watch or follow besides your favorite teams?" In other words, while the Browns go 4-12 this season there may be a week or two in there where I just might avail myself of my NFL Sunday TIcket package and watch someone else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the point of this thread is to ask me which team I would choose to watch first after the Browns.

For what it's worth, I could probably list my team preferences from top to bottom in MLB and The NFL. Does that mean I have that many favorite teams? Nope it just means that I like some teams more than others. My guess is one of us missed the point of this thread and I don't think it was me.

Whatever the case, there seems to be an awful lot of "indecent" people in this thread. :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB

Favorite Team: San Francisco Giants

#2 Team: Seattle Mariners

NFL

Favorite Team: San Diego Chargers

#2 Team: Seattle Seahawks

NHL

Favorite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins

#2 Team: Vancouver Canucks

CFL

Favorite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

#2 Team: B.C.Lions

NCAA

Favorite Team: Washington Huskies

#2 Team: Navy Midshipmen

When I first started watching sports, the closest pro team was 1500 miles away. So I chose my favorite teams for a variety of reasons, except for NCAA. My dad told me I should never start rooting for a college team until I actually went to college. We then moved to NW Washington, so the local teams fell into line as #2's. I later went to UW, so they became my favorite team, and I always like to root for the Academies so Navy was my #2 since most of my family served in the Navy at one time or another...

There's no splitting of loyalties. I've always been a 49ers fan, but live in LA. Am I gonna just decide that I have two teams if the NFL puts one here? No way. I already have my team. There should be no room in a fan's life for more than one team in a league/sport. If there is, then you're just not very devoted, which is fine. There's nothing wrong with being a casual fan if that's what you're going for. But then you might as well have a third and fourth team.

Well I guess you told us eh? Lighten up dude. I haven't seen anyone post that they're every bit as into their "second" team as they are there first. The way I interpreted the question was more like "who do you like to watch or follow besides your favorite teams?" In other words, while the Browns go 4-12 this season there may be a week or two in there where I just might avail myself of my NFL Sunday TIcket package and watch someone else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the point of this thread is to ask me which team I would choose to watch first after the Browns.

For what it's worth, I could probably list my team preferences from top to bottom in MLB and The NFL. Does that mean I have that many favorite teams? Nope it just means that I like some teams more than others. My guess is one of us missed the point of this thread and I don't think it was me.

Whatever the case, there seems to be an awful lot of "indecent" people in this thread. rolleyes.gif

That would make me "indecent". Six, dude i'm a diehard sports fan, because I follow two teams that mean more to me doesn't mean i'm a casual fan who knows nothing. I don't have a third or fourth team. I am a graduate of a college and a diehard of another, but I guess i'm indecent...

Also I wouldn't mind having both a blonde and brunette together again. Oh the days of ASU where threesomes were normal

MLB Favorite: Minnesota Twins

2nd: Toronto Blue Jays for no other reason that I'm from the area.

NFL Favorite: Buffalo Bills

2nd: Minnesota Vikings (you're going to notice that I like alot of team from Minny, My dad used to live there and I visited alot, so I have a love for the city.)

NHL Favorite: Colorado Avalanche

2nd: Toss up between Toronto and Vancouver.

NLL Favorite: Toronto Rock

2nd Favorite: I'm such a hardcore Rock fan, to think of a 2nd fave seems weird, but I'd say Minnesota Swarm.

CFL Favorite: Toronto Argos

2nd Favorite: Edmonton Eskimos. My buddy, Elliot Richardson plays for them.

MLS Favorite: Toronto FC

2nd Favorite: Vancouver Whitecaps (next year). The Whitecaps have just about the only thing that resembles a proper academy system in North America.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2nd: Minnesota Vikings (you're going to notice that I like alot of team from Minny, My dad used to live there and I visited alot, so I have a love for the city.)

The city of Minnesota?

He could mean Minneapolis.

The city of Minnesota?

He could mean Minneapolis.

That would be my guess as well. I was just having fun.

BB52Big.jpg

NCAA

1) Ohio Bobcats - I go to OU... I'd better cheer for my own damn team. Some of my school mates need to learn this, too, and stop wearing Suckeyes jerseys on game days at Peden Stadium! ARGH! No offense to infrared41 or other OSU fans. I understand more people have grown up as Buckeye fans being from Ohio, but since I attend OU and am NOT from the Buckeye State, I wish more people would put aside their loyalty to OSU and actually support their own alma mater...

2) Pitt Panthers - I'm from Pittsburgh, enough said.

*3) Oregon State Beavers - a completely arbitrary fandom, honestly. I used to watch OSU's softball team on Versus and have grown to really like the Pac-10. Since then I've written a novel based in Corvallis, and the city itself seems pretty awesome. I'm strangely obsessed with the Pacific Northwest even though I've never been out there (anywhere north of California, I mean). OSU is just the team I attached myself to for whatever reason.

MLB

Don't care. I don't even cheer for the Pirates because they haven't been that great in a long time. Last time I went to PNC Park I was more excited that I got a free-tshirt and a delicious hot dog than the game itself. We lost to the Astros anyway.

NBA

Also don't care at all. I hate watching basketball :o

NFL

1) Pittsburgh Steelers - Of course they're my #1 team! I'm just not as crazy about football as many other Pittsburghers... I don't slash the tires of Browns fans or anything, or even tailgate.

2) Carolina Panthers - my aunt used to live in Pittsburgh with me when I was younger. She has since relocated to Rock Hill, SC, and is a huge Panthers fan. From spending a lot of time watching football with her both at home in the 'Burgh and in South Carolina, I've kind of adopted them if the Stillers aren't doing well.

NHL

1) Pittsburgh Penguins - just because. I'm a far worse fairweather hockey fan than in any other sport. I don't watch it that often, but definitely partook in the Stanley Cup celebrating in the past few years when the Pens won.

2) Columbus Blue Jackets - also just because, but this time because I go to school in Ohio. It's my second state, and is therefore why I would cheer for them if the Pens get kicked out early in the season. P.S. if Cleveland had a hockey team, I wouldn't cheer for them. Lol.

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

No offense to infrared41 or other OSU fans. I understand more people have grown up as Buckeye fans being from Ohio, but since I attend OU and am NOT from the Buckeye State, I wish more people would put aside their loyalty to OSU and actually support their own alma mater...

No offense taken. I agree with you 100%. I'm an Ohio State alum but if I attended a game at OU I wouldn't wear any Buckeyes gear. (Unless Ohio State is playing OU in Athens of course) I'm not saying OU students shouldn't be Ohio State fans but I do think they should at least be Bobcats fans while they're at a game. I'm also a University of Toledo alum and when I'm at the Glass Bowl I'm a Rockets fan. I'd never wear my Ohio State gear to a UT game.

Maybe it's just me but that's how I see it.

BB52Big.jpg

NBA

1-Detroit Pistons. Was a fan of the Bad Boys (in their waning years), was there through the rebuild, the Hill era flaming horse and color change, the blue and red return, the improbable title run against the Lake Show, and their current downswing.

2-Denver Nuggets. Didn't really have a second team until Dumars traded Mr. Big Shot to Denver. Was always a big fan of his so I root for him and wish the rest of the team the best by association.

NFL

1-Detroit Lions. 20 year sufferer.

2-Cincinnati Bengals. Girlfriend and a lot of friends root for them so it's good for me when they win.

NHL

1-Detroit Red Wings. Explained below.

Not a real second choice here.

NCAA football and basketball

1-Michigan Wolverines. The helmets and the fab five sold me when I started really watching college sports, even though I always wanted to play for...

2-Miami Red(skins)Hawks. I grew up rooting for their basketball team because my dad was an assistant coach at the time and the football team because it was the second best game in town in Oxford at the time. That's right, Talawanda High was what the majority of the city cared about when they were good. I miss the 90s...

3-Baketball only: The school my dad works for that year. This year, it's UAB.

NCAA Hockey

1-Miami RedHawks. Didn't get into college hockey until around middle school, but fell in love with the old Goggin. Much better atmosphere there than the new one IMO. *EDIT* Forgot to say this sooner, but MU also got me into the NHL and the Hawks had a uni design exactly like the Red Wings at the time so, much to the chagrin of my Rangers fan friends, I adopted the Red Wings as my favorites.

2-Michigan Wolverines. I know I know, but like I said I didn't get into college hockey until around middle school and, at the time, had no idea that there wasn't a Big 10 hockey conference. By the time I figured it out I decided it was too late to turn back. This is the only case where it's Hawks over Big Blue for me.

The original post clearly mentions loyalty and rooting interests beyond your favorite team. Simply watching another team doesn't make them your "second," adopting them does, and that is a clear violation of the Fan Conduct Policy. If you live in a different city from your fav team there's absolutely nothing wrong with seeing games for the other team. You can watch any game you like, and root for a team in certain circumstances, but claiming them as your second favorite? No. The more favorites you have, the less sweet it is when one wins a championship.

I am a graduate of a college and a diehard of another, but I guess i'm indecent...

Graduating from a school has nothing to do with rooting for its sports teams. Actually, I find being a diehard fan of college sports if you're in a place with pro teams into your adult years to be a different level of sadness, MAYBE unless you still have some link to the school, like a child attending.

Well I guess you told us eh? Lighten up dude. I haven't seen anyone post that they're every bit as into their "second" team as they are there first. The way I interpreted the question was more like "who do you like to watch or follow besides your favorite teams?" In other words, while the Browns go 4-12 this season there may be a week or two in there where I just might avail myself of my NFL Sunday Ticket package and watch someone else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the point of this thread is to ask me which team I would choose to watch first after the Browns.

The original post clearly mentions loyalty and rooting interests beyond your favorite team. Simply watching another team doesn't make them your "second," adopting them does, and that is a clear violation of the Fan Conduct Policy. If you live in a different city from your fav team there's absolutely nothing wrong with seeing games for the other team. You can watch any game you like, and root for a team in certain circumstances, but claiming them as your second favorite? No. The more favorites you have, the less sweet it is when one wins a championship.

As the poster of said original post, let me expand. The intention was to find out how people feel about teams they may like which are not their favorite, not to dictate how one should root for teams. I left it open to interpretation because I know people have all types of opinions on the matter. Some, like you, think fans can/should only have true loyalty for a single team. Many others support multiple teams at many different levels and for many different reasons. The point of this thread is for people to share their opinions and situations and stories because I think it's a fascinating, not oft-talked-about topic in the world of sports, and so far this thread has exceeded all my expectations. I have loved reading everyone's responses and I hope people continue to share, and that goes for everyone. I'm glad you told us your opinion about Second Team fandom even though it's different from many other peoples'. That's what this thread is for -- everyone has a favorite team, but after that, people are all over the map.

Simply watching another team doesn't make them your "second," adopting them does, and that is a clear violation of the Fan Conduct Policy. If you live in a different city from your fav team there's absolutely nothing wrong with seeing games for the other team. You can watch any game you like, and root for a team in certain circumstances, but claiming them as your second favorite? No. The more favorites you have, the less sweet it is when one wins a championship.

Two questions;

First, do you happen to have a copy of the "Fan Conduct Policy?"

Second, did I miss the press conference where you were appointed commissioner to oversee said policy?

Finally, while I appreciate the fact that it's OK with you, I don't recall asking for your permission on the matter. So no offense but, I don't give a flying :censored: what you think about it. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Graduating from a school has nothing to do with rooting for its sports teams. Actually, I find being a diehard fan of college sports if you're in a place with pro teams into your adult years to be a different level of sadness, MAYBE unless you still have some link to the school, like a child attending.

Could you please knock off the douchey tone from every single one of your posts in this thread? Thanks. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Ah, so now you are telling us how we should feel.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

No offense to infrared41 or other OSU fans. I understand more people have grown up as Buckeye fans being from Ohio, but since I attend OU and am NOT from the Buckeye State, I wish more people would put aside their loyalty to OSU and actually support their own alma mater...

No offense taken. I agree with you 100%. I'm an Ohio State alum but if I attended a game at OU I wouldn't wear any Buckeyes gear. (Unless Ohio State is playing OU in Athens of course) I'm not saying OU students shouldn't be Ohio State fans but I do think they should at least be Bobcats fans while they're at a game. I'm also a University of Toledo alum and when I'm at the Glass Bowl I'm a Rockets fan. I'd never wear my Ohio State gear to a UT game.

At the Georgia State football game last week, I think I was the only guy in the building wearing UGA attire.

The Beach Boys said it best: Be true to your school. :)

Nope, that's exactly how I view it. Seems like my freshman year I saw a lot more Buckeyes jerseys at Bobcats games than I do now. I've got no problem with Buckeye fans (the non-crazy ones....) in general, but I think you understood me completely correctly when I mean to say you should support the team playing at the time said team IS playing. Wear all the OSU gear you want, just not at an OU game.

I wear Pitt gear on campus, but not to games (though I can't exactly since I'm in the marching band, haha). If I had been a student in 2005 when OU played Pitt, I probably would have cheered for OU.

Wait, if I'm understanding this correctly, you think it's wrong to still cheer for your alma mater once you graduate? So when I graduate from Ohio University in two years (provided things work out how they should), and I move back to Pittsburgh, a city with many pro teams, you say I shouldn't support the Bobcats anymore simply because I have the Steelers to take over? Are you nuts? You're right that getting a degree and rooting for its teams are not exclusively linked, but I'd think it kind of comes along with the territory to cheer for your college or university even if you don't really care about sports.

To me there's a difference between "not liking the way your college (previous or current) athletics program runs," thereby making you not want to cheer for them, and "ditching my support for them fully simply because I already got my degree."

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

First, do you happen to have a copy of the "Fan Conduct Policy?"

You'll have to dig up old episodes of "Dameshek on Demand," a podcast that ESPN used to carry. The host conceived of it. Other parts include not wearing gear for two different teams from the same sport at once.

Second, did I miss the press conference where you were appointed commissioner to oversee said policy?

Well you missed everything, because you didn't even know about the Policy! The amendments were added democratically.

I was clear in saying that it's fine to cheer on other teams, but there are people who put one "favorite" aside when the wins are sparse, and go to their "second" team. It doesn't work like that.

Wait, if I'm understanding this correctly, you think it's wrong to still cheer for your alma mater once you graduate? So when I graduate from Ohio University in two years (provided things work out how they should), and I move back to Pittsburgh, a city with many pro teams, you say I shouldn't support the Bobcats anymore simply because I have the Steelers to take over? Are you nuts? You're right that getting a degree and rooting for its teams are not exclusively linked, but I'd think it kind of comes along with the territory to cheer for your college or university even if you don't really care about sports.

In general I don't care about college sports. I had no reason to root for a college team as a kid, and since graduating I've moved on. It feels very awkward watching grown men on TV doing these college shows getting all excited about kids, and talking about party schools. Actually, it's more creepy than awkward. Just watching and rooting is fine, but there's a certain point where it gets weird.

MLB Yankees, it's rare for a Mets fan to admit this but its true, sometime is Hope with the Yanks success the Mets would be motivated to do more.

NFL Giants & Buccaneers, I kind of felt sorry for the Bucs during the Buccaneer Bruce era, and I have a bright orange Buco Bruce hat (not a throwback). Then of course the Giants I will forever fell indebted to the Giants for Super Bowl XLII. Even if it was the Cowboys that stopped the Pats unbeaten season and saved the Dolphins legacy, I would have become a fan of that team, and next to the Pats their is nobody I hate more than the Cowboys.

NHL Sharks, simply put I love their logo and colors.

NBA Celtics always had a soft spot for the Celtics since the days of Bird, Parrish, McHale and my all time favorite NBA Player Danny Ainge.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived