Your "Second Team"

gingerbreadmann

1st: canucks. no contest here

2nd:capitals. been fan since '96. i hate being called a bandwagoner even though i have supported them during some bad years.

3rd: flyers. eric lindros flipped me a puck over the glass during my first hockey game (8-0 asskicking in favor of the flyers on new years eve 1997).

soft spot: islanders. hate the rangers with a passion.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st: canucks. no contest here

2nd:capitals. been fan since '96. i hate being called a bandwagoner even though i have supported them during some bad years.

3rd: flyers. eric lindros flipped me a puck over the glass during my first hockey game (8-0 asskicking in favor of the flyers on new years eve 1997).

soft spot: islanders. hate the rangers with a passion.

I hear you about the Caps, I've been a fan since 93 and have seen alot of bad years. I'm happily reaping my reward now. If only we would just get over the hump.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Well you missed everything, because you didn't even know about the Policy! The amendments were added democratically.

Or maybe I just don't take my marching orders from a :censored:-ing podcast. You are a piece of work. You come in here all high and mighty and then tell us you got all this from a guy who hosts a podcast? So basically you're some lemming who doesn't think for himself. Go away. There's "a level of sadness" about you that makes it hard to take you seriously. Honestly, I would have respected your opinion more if it were your own. As a former sports radio talk show host myself, I now know what you really are. Seriously dude, that's just pathetic.

BB52Big.jpg

MLB -

1. Detroit Tigers

2. Atlanta Braves

NFL -

1. Detroit Lions

2. Carolina Panthers

NBA -

1. Detroit Pistons

2a. New York Knicks

2b. Charlotte Bobcats

(apparently, I like really crappy NBA teams)

NHL -

1. Detroit Red Wings

2. New York Islanders (The early 80's Islanders ensured I would be a fan of this team for life)

NCAA (all sports, except hockey) -

1. Michigan State Spartans

2. Clemson Tigers

NCAA Hockey -

1. Lake Superior State Lakers (alma mater)

2. Michigan State Spartans

You'll have to dig up old episodes of "Dameshek on Demand," a podcast that ESPN used to carry. The host conceived of it. Other parts include not wearing gear for two different teams from the same sport at once.

The combination of him quickly losing his podcast job and both being on the Adam Carolla show and losing that job quickly give him a level of credibility equivalent to that of the Incan Monkey God I once hallucinated in high school after chugging a normally fatal quantity of Mountain Dew.

Fortunately for me, he endorsed supporting multiple teams. I think. For all I know he was asking for a banana.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On topic, the only sports where I really have second teams would be college football and basketball

College Football

1. Nebraska

2. Indiana (this may be a problem with the expansion and all)

College Basketball

1. Bradley

2. Illinois

3. Nebraska

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MLB

Favorite : Red Sox

Second : Blue Jays - As a 7 year old when they were let into the league, I saw their original logo and loved it, and started rooting for them. I have as much Blue Jays stuff as Red Sox stuff, because it was so rare to see any of it anywhere, so I got anything I could.

NHL

Favorite: Bruins

Second: Edmonton Oilers - When USA Network and then ESPN got hockey in the 80's and I saw their lightning fast speed, pretty passing, and awesome uniforms, I was hooked. Still like them to this day, and almost drove 10 hours to Raleigh for game 7 of the Cup Finals a few years back.

NFL

Favorite: Patriots

Second: Redskins - When we only got 2 games on Sundays and the Pats were horrible, and CBS usually only showed Giants games, I saw my first Skins game loved the helmets and uniforms, especially the colors and started rooting for them.

This was the strike season in 1981 in which they won the Super Bowl. Been rooting for them ever since, and sure am glad there hasn't been a Pats vs Skins SB.

NBA

Favorite: Celtics

Second: None

sig-1.png

Honestly, I would have respected your opinion more if it were your own.

Well one page earlier you just said you "didn't give a flying ****" about what I thought, so I won't be crying any tears over losing that respect.

The combination of him quickly losing his podcast job and both being on the Adam Carolla show and losing that job quickly give him a level of credibility equivalent to that of the Incan Monkey God I once hallucinated in high school after chugging a normally fatal quantity of Mountain Dew.

Yeah, but he did have a really good show. It seems like most of ESPN's people make arguments they don't really believe in just to be controversial, and Dameshek didn't do that. He just didn't fit in to the "idiot talking head mold."

CFL

Favorite Team: Montreal Alouettes

I Like the fact that they play at an intimate setting for their regular season games, and I also like the fact that they play at a funky-looking stadium for their playoff games.

Second Favorite: Saskatchewan Roughriders/Calgary Stampeders

The 'Riders because of them always being "the Green Bay Packers" of the CFL (throughout their history, anyway) story, and how they are a great team now. The Stamps, not as much, because Juwan Simpson is on the team, but isn't in the main squad (Why is that, citizens of Calgary?).

NFL

I don't really follow the NFL enough to have a favorite team, but the Tennessee Titans (never rubbed me the wrong way like the Colts or the Giants, they're close to home, and I can listen to a game on the rock station in Huntsville) and the Seattle Seahawks (The lime-green jersey won me over, y'all, plus a nice logo) are neck-and-neck as far as that is concerned. The Ravens are a good second favorite team if I had to choose (they get a lot of Alabama's players, it seems).

NHL

Favorite Team: Montreal Canadiens

This is mainly because of their history and uniform (I always respect the classics, y'all, if nothing else) and I just like the whole mesh of Francophone and Anglophone cultures in MTL.

Second Favorite: Chicago Blackhawks

This is mainly because they are the first team to bring the Stanley Cup to a gay pride parade. That takes heart. Plus, they have a classic and funky (yes, it's possible) logo to boot.

MLB

The Braves are the closest team to being liked by me, but other than that, I don't watch baseball nor want to.

NBA

Absolutely do not care for the NBA.

NCAA

This is where it gets a little strange, because until last year, I wasn't the biggest fan of the Alabama Crimson Tide, even though all my family were fans (My dad's always been a fan, and both my sister and my mother went there, the former for undergraduate studies, and the latter for her Masters'), but now, they're my #1 team.

As far as a #2 team, well:

-In the Big Ten, it's Ohio State, because Coach Tressel (sp?) is cool with us gays, so therefore, I'm cool with him.

-In the Big XII, it's Texas, because I went there on vacation, saw Godzillatron, and my mind was blown. Plus, I just like Austin for the eccentric culture it has.

-In the Pac-10, it's Washington, because, darn it, purple is my favorite color and the way U-Dub does purple and gold is just splendid.

-In the Mt. West, it's Colorado State, because they once had pumpkin and alfalfa as their school colors, and I really like the way they're going with their uniforms.

Now as for teams in other divisions: Jacksonville State (Mom is alumni), Eastern Washington (their red turf is executed very well, so naysayers, take a hike), Montana (their colors are kind of like my high school's), Coastal Carolina (any school with teal and bronze as their school colors is a school I want to hang with), Northern Arizona (same as Coastal, only replace colors with blue and sage), and North Alabama (another purple school, one of my HS's best QB's went there, the fact that they were the first team to win three consecutive National Championships in modern NCAA football is something to admire, a beautiful campus, and the only school in the nation to have live lions as mascots).

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

In general I don't care about college sports. I had no reason to root for a college team as a kid, and since graduating I've moved on. It feels very awkward watching grown men on TV doing these college shows getting all excited about kids, and talking about party schools. Actually, it's more creepy than awkward. Just watching and rooting is fine, but there's a certain point where it gets weird.

If I am interpreting this correctly, and I don't care whether or not I am, your lack of interest in college sports means nobody, with a few exceptions, should root for a college team/alma matter. Funny stuff.

Oddly, my personal (i.e., not projected on others) fandom is in line with "the Six", and is to only have one pro team in each league. When I was a kid, I kind of had secondary teams (frequently based on uniforms), but would only be excited if my teams (Twins, Vikes, North Stars-later replaced by Wild, and T-Wolves) did anything and now, I only have Twins/Vikes/Wild/Wolves. I tend to pull for teams with former Wisconsin players, but I am not a "fan." No other pro team could bring excitement of a title like the Minnesota teams could.

However, I do have a secondary college team. My undergrad degree is from the University of Wisconsin and I am a Badger fan...yes hard core despite having no kids there or not even living in Madison. My grad degree is from the University of Iowa, so I do cheer for the Hawkeyes when they are not playing Wisconsin (or when their loss will not help Wisconsin), but I don't know the players as well and I don't get bent out of shape if they lose. Frankly, it's healthier.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Honestly, I would have respected your opinion more if it were your own.

Well one page earlier you just said you "didn't give a flying ****" about what I thought, so I won't be crying any tears over losing that respect.

Imagine my disappointment.

BB52Big.jpg

NFL:

1st - Saints

2nd - Bengals and Texans (tie)

NBA:

1st - Hornets (but only a casual interest)

2nd - Celtics (because I dislike the Lakers)

NCAAF:

1st - Tulane

2nd - Southeastern Louisiana University

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

MLB Favorite: TB Rays

2nd: SF Giants/PIT Pirates (Cause someone's got to pull for them)

Hate: BOS Red Sox

NBA Favorite: POR Blazers

2nd: OKC Thunder

Hate: LeBron James

NFL Favorite: WAS Redskins

2nd: HOU Texans

Hate: Tim Tebow

NHL Favorite: CHI Blackhawks

2nd: Isn't it enough that I like at least on hockey team...

Hate: the rest

NCAA Favorite: ORE Ducks

2nd Favorite: TEX Longhorns/MIA Hurricanes

Hate: UW Huskies/BSU Broncos/OSU Beavers/CAL Bears/USC Trojans/UF Gators/OU Sooners

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

NFL Favorite: Buffalo Bills

2nd: Minnesota Vikings (you're going to notice that I like alot of team from Minny, My dad used to live there and I visited alot, so I have a love for the city.)

The city of Minnesota?

He could mean Minneapolis.

That would be my guess as well. I was just having fun.

I meant Minneapolis, I figured that would be assumed as that's where the stadium is.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

This is a pretty neat idea. Here's mine and my reasoning -

NBA:

Favorite Team: Utah Jazz. Hometown team!

Second team: Phoenix Suns. I'm a huuuuuge Jason Kidd fan and have been since childhood. So by default, when they weren't playing the Jazz of course, I always rooted for Kidd and the Suns. When he left for the Nets, of course I began to follow the Nets more but I never lost any liking for the Suns. I still cheer for them after all that time.

NFL:

Favorite Team: Indianapolis Colts. Peyton Manning is my favorite player, and that eventually expanded into me rooting for the Colts.

Second Team: Houston Texans. My grandfather, aunt, and uncle are Houstonians and by default, huge Texans fans. They got me to follow them and, though they share the same division as my primary favorite team, I root for them for family reasons.

MLB:

Favorite Team: Los Angeles Dodgers. My grandfather, though living in Texas for the past fifty years, had spent his childhood and teenage years in Brooklyn and has told me many stories of attending Dodger games, watching greats like Jackie, Gil, Duke, Pee Wee and Campy. Thus, he made me a Dodger fan.

Second Team: Atlanta Braves. Back when TBS only broadcast Braves games, at times they were the only games on. So, the Braves were ALWAYS on. Thus, I couldn't help but follow em. That's actually the case with alot of Utahns - ask any Braves fan from Utah, and they'll say thier reasoning is either admiration for fellow Utahn Dale Murphy, or the fact that they watched TBS games.

NCAA:

Favorite Team: Utah State Aggies. No brainer, i'm a student so it's automatic :P

Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth Teams :P : Utah, West Virginia, Arizona, Texas Tech

All other sports, I either have no clear favorite (NHL), or one favorite, no second team (MLS - Real Salt Lake, no other team)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

NHL:

Favorite Team: Buffalo Sabres

Second Favorite: Columbus Blue Jackets, I remember when the Blue Jackets first came out they somehow became one of my favorite teams, maybe it was the bug logo.

MLB:

Favorite Team: New York Yankees

Second Favorite: Cleveland Indians, even though they're bad.

NBA:

Favorite Team: Cleveland Cavaliers, they don't need Lebron

Second Favorite: Los Angeles Lakers, because Kobe doesn't leave his team.

NFL:

Favorite Team: Buffalo Bills

Second Favorite: Houston Texans, liked them since they were starting.

NCAA:

Favorite Team: Buffalo Bulls

Second Favorite: Notre Dame Fightin' Irish

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

NHL:

Favorite Team: Buffalo Sabres

Second Favorite: Columbus Blue Jackets, I remember when the Blue Jackets first came out they somehow became one of my favorite teams, maybe it was the bug logo.

MLB:

Favorite Team: New York Yankees

Second Favorite: Cleveland Indians, even though they're bad.

NBA:

Favorite Team: Cleveland Cavaliers, they don't need Lebron

Second Favorite: Los Angeles Lakers, because Kobe doesn't leave his team.

NFL:

Favorite Team: Buffalo Bills

Second Favorite: Houston Texans, liked them since they were starting.

NCAA:

Favorite Team: Buffalo Bulls

Second Favorite: Notre Dame Fightin' Irish

I get that y'all are still buttsore that LeBron left. I can almost understand it. It's stupid, but I can almost understand it...but this :censored: you wrote? C'mon, man! Are you :censored:ing serious? You're going to see that no one player has ever been MORE needed (at least until Peyton Manning leaves Indy) in the history of professional sports! Being mad is one thing (as stupid as it may be), but to completely try to rewrite this history just defies even the most basic logic. Cleveland had needed LeBron ever since they starting tanking games in 2003. John Lucas even admitted it when he said, "they trade all our guys away and we go real young, and the goal was to get LeBron and also to sell the team. I didn't have a chance. ... You can't fault the Cavaliers for wanting to get LeBron. It was hard to get free agents to come there." That's not need?

Y'all mother:censored:ers are crazy.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

NHL

#1: Detroit Red Wings (life-long fan)

#2: Toronto Maple Leafs (we could pick up CBC Windsor at home, so we watched the Leafs every Saturday night for years)

#3: Chicago Blackhawks (Thanks to NHL Centre Ice, and I like the style of hockey the Hawks play)

NFL

#1: Detroit Lions (as bad as they have been, I can't give up on them. Too much invested emotionally.)

#2: Pittsburgh Steelers (became a fan when "Touchdown" Tommy Maddox was QB, been a fan ever since.)

MLB

#1: Detroit Tigers (life-long fan)

#2: Chicago Cubs (like the Steelers, I started following the Cubs in college and am still a fan.)

NCAA

#1: Central Michigan (my alma mater)

#2: Michigan Wolverines (life-long fan)

Minor League/Junior Hockey

#1: Saginaw Spirit

#2: Lapeer Loggers (actually, more like "wait-and-see", but they're pretty much the only other option left around here)

Minor League Baseball:

#1 Great Lakes Loons

#2 Lansing Lugnuts

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Archived