Two players wearing the same number?

whitedawg22

When East Carolina beat Tulsa today on a hail mary with no time left, Tulsa had two defenders wearing #1 on the field - DB Trent Wilkins and WR Trae Johnson.

zK4Dz.jpg

I was under the impression that two players on the same squad were allowed to wear the same number, as long as they never took the field at the same time. Is this incorrect, or did the refs just miss it?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I thought it was just they had to be on different sides of the ball, in this case a DB (def.) and a WR (off.), I never really heard anything about being on the field at the same time. But either way its still funny/odd.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I thought it was just they had to be on different sides of the ball, in this case a DB (def.) and a WR (off.), I never really heard anything about being on the field at the same time. But either way its still funny/odd.

That was the final play of the game...a hail mary.

Coaches tend to put Wideouts in the secondary along with D-Backs. I'm sure that's what happened here.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

When East Carolina beat Tulsa today on a hail mary with no time left, Tulsa had two defenders wearing #1 on the field - DB Trent Wilkins and WR Trae Johnson.

zK4Dz.jpg

I was under the impression that two players on the same squad were allowed to wear the same number, as long as they never took the field at the same time. Is this incorrect, or did the refs just miss it?

I saw that too. I don't think it's allowed. I think the refs just missed it. I remember they threw a flag on that play, but never heard a call.

zK4Dz.jpg

I went to middle and high school with that same Trae Johnson.

I'm going to have to ask him what was up on facebook later.

5amlwx.jpg

Players are allowed to wear the same number but two players wearing the same number aren't supposed to be on the field at the same time. I think teams complained when Oklahoma would send Antonio Perkins and Adrian Peterson back deep to run back kicks because both wore 28 and they didn't know who was who.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Louisville's Greg Scruggs announced via Twitter that he was changing his number (he was 11) because he and Josh Chichester would be on the fired for the same time and since they had the same number, it wouldn't have been allowed so he switched to 6. Yeah, a DT wearing 6.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Louisville's Greg Scruggs announced via Twitter that he was changing his number (he was 11) because he and Josh Chichester would be on the fired for the same time and since they had the same number, it wouldn't have been allowed so he switched to 6. Yeah, a DT wearing 6.

Not as uncommon as you might think...Marvin Austin wears (well, wore, depending on how this NCAA investigation goes) #9 for the Tar Heels.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And it occurred in the WHA in 77-78.

Robbie Ftorek and Claude LaRose both wore number 8 for about 22 games after petitioning the league. They were often on the ice at the same time. I have a video of this somewhere...

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Maybe it's just me but D-lineman wearing small numbers like 6 or 10 are one of the things I love about college football. (I saw a D-line guy wearing 10 last season but I don't recall who he played for. Alabama maybe?) I think it's cool that Etienne Sabino wears number 6 as an LB for Ohio State.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe it's just me but D-lineman wearing small numbers like 6 or 10 are one of the things I love about college football. (I saw a D-line guy wearing 10 last season but I don't recall who he played for. Alabama maybe?) I think it's cool that Etienne Sabino wears number 6 as an LB for Ohio State.

I agree with you on that. It's really cool to see DE wearing #1. I've never seen #2-5 on a DL, but I do think it's cool to see them in low numbers. Just like I like kickers with numbers in the 90's.

Funny that you should mention Sabino because I think he was involved with one of these miscues in 2008.

He started out with #6 and was on the field at the same time with Grant Schwartz (who had #6 that year).

He moved to #3 for the second game as Jamario O'Neal was serving a two game suspension.

Finally was moved to #11 for the USC game and finished the year in that.

And then went back to 6 for the 2009 season, forcing Schwartz to switch from 6 to 17.

Whew.

I agree with you on that. It's really cool to see DE wearing #1. I've never seen #2-5 on a DL, but I do think it's cool to see them in low numbers. Just like I like kickers with numbers in the 90's.

That too. I get a kick out of seeing a punter wearing number 96.

BB52Big.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived