NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

Jets in all white looks horrible! If they are going to wear white tops, then at least wear the green pants.

Bad:fullj.getty75557849js021_new_york_jets.jpg

Better:

51908906.jpg

Awesome

cm.jpg

Agreed.

All white at home is so bland, and as others have said, it's a night game. Why?

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are the Chiefs wearing AFL logo patches this season?

It's a patch to honour the late Lemar Hunt, founder of the Chiefs and father of the AFL. It's a permanent part of their uniform, like the Bears' GSH and the Browns' AL.

It's this one:

KansasCityChiefs_AL1_2007-9999.png

...and, it's been on the uniforms since 2007...

Also, hate the Eagles but loved their Kelly Green uniforms yesterday. I never thought they should have dropped it and still think they should go back to it.

capt.2a0bfdc5fad741d9b2f1ce56f29c8cd1-2a0bfdc5fad741d9b2f1ce56f29c8cd1-0.jpg

There isn't a uniform on earth that would look good when a leg is bent like that :wacko:

MichaelVick.jpg

Sweet. They need to switch to this look.

Vick at QB? :D

I love this look. But, couple of things:

1) Make white line around wings on helmet thicker

2) Make numerals consistent (jersey is a slab serif while the sleeve is san serif)

1) There is no white line around the wings.

2) This was done in the interest of accuracy, and they nailed this uniform from top to bottom, though I'd like to see the numerals, stripes and pants in silver instead of white if this were to ever be a full time uniform.

That's my main hang-up with this look. The helmet is all green and silver/gray, and everything else from the neck down is green and white. There needs to be more silver in the other elements of this uniform for it to really work in my book. If the Eagles were to look to their past for uniform inspiration, they'd be a whole lot better served by the era of Cunningham and White. Though personally, I'm fine with what the Eagles currently wear. I do think their look would be enhanced by going back to kelly green and adding silver pants, but what they've had the past 14 years (with tweaks along the way) is a pretty clean, decent look.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The helmet is all green and silver/gray, and everything else from the neck down is green and white. There needs to be more silver in the other elements of this uniform for it to really work in my book. If the Eagles were to look to their past for uniform inspiration, they'd be a whole lot better served by the era of Cunningham and White. Though personally, I'm fine with what the Eagles currently wear. I do think their look would be enhanced by going back to kelly green and adding silver pants, but what they've had the past 14 years (with tweaks along the way) is a pretty clean, decent look.

Or they could always bring this one back. It matches rest of the uniform. The NFC could stand another team in white helmets. :D

philadelphia-eagles-authentic-pro-line-throwback-full-size-helmet-3350216.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I hate the new Eagles jerseys... (or "old" I guess). Way too plain! Where is the detail in the wings? What about the teal? UGH!

Then again, I can't really say anything since I think the Steelers' throwbacks are somewhat odd-looking, too.

Okay, let's think this through. These are throwbacks. The original uniforms are from 1960. Detail? The way the wings got on the helmets in 1960 was very likely an equipment guy with stencils and a can of silver spray paint, a guy who didn't have the time, talent, or tools to put details in the wings.

60eagle3.jpg

Call me old school if you want, but there's something appealing about the simplicity of those days vs. some of the cartoonish crap we see on unis now.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Something really needs to be done about the Chargers' uniforms. I can't quite figure out what, but they look more and more of a hot mess each time I see them. The powder blue either needs to get used differently or tossed altogether, because you can't see it one bit in the road uniform, save for player close-ups.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Something really needs to be done about the Chargers' uniforms. I can't quite figure out what, but they look more and more of a hot mess each time I see them. The powder blue either needs to get used differently or tossed altogether, because you can't see it one bit in the road uniform, save for player close-ups.

I wouldn't mind losing the powder blue all together.

Really though, the bigger problems are, in my opinion, the trying-to-hard number font, the wordmark under the collar, and the wacky pants bolt. Once those are fixed the colour problems will become manageable.

Or they could just go back to these and call it a day. That would work.

KC_ChargersRavens349crop.jpg

The Redskins' use of the 1970's gold pants and socks makes it almost like it's the jerseys that are now the mismatched item in the set.

Even with the double-band look of the last 30 years, I always thought the stripe pattern of the helmet would work if it were used throughout the uniform.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I wouldn't mind losing the powder blue all together.

Really though, the bigger problems are, in my opinion, the trying-to-hard number font, the wordmark under the collar, and the wacky pants bolt. Once those are fixed the colour problems will become manageable.

Or they could just go back to these and call it a day. That would work.

KC_ChargersRavens349crop.jpg

No, sorry, we can drive robot vehicles on Mars but Reebok can't figure out how to get a stripe (or bolt in this case) to go all the way around the shoulder of a jersey.

The Jets are back in the most boring uniform in the NFL tonight.

White on white at home. Yippee!

It's a night game. I don't think I understand the decison for the jersey selection of the Jets.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason for the white jerseys at home is simply so the fans in the stands can see the team's road uniforms in person once or twice a season? Just a thought.

BB52Big.jpg

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason for the white jerseys at home is simply so the fans in the stands can see the team's road uniforms in person once or twice a season? Just a thought.

If that is the reason (and it's a bad reason, at that), they should have picked a different game in which to do it. This is their coming out party, their stadium opening. In a game like that you want to go with your marquee look, which is the colored jersey for every team except the Cowboys and maybe the Dolphins. Stadium openings aren't the right time to wear unusual combos or throwbacks (I'm looking at you, Minnesota Twins).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's a patch to honour the late Lemar Hunt, founder of the Chiefs and father of the AFL. It's a permanent part of their uniform, like the Bears' GSH and the Browns' AL.

The fact that an NFL team is going to permanently (and prominently) wear an AFL logo on their uniform is amusing to me.

oakqb4.jpg

Listing the Jets uni combos, best to worst:

1) White jersey, Green pants.

2) Green jersey, White pants.

3) Green jersey, Green pants.

4) White jersey, White pants.

5) NY Titans throwback. They :censored:ing suck!

6uXNWAo.png

It's a night game. I don't think I understand the decison for the jersey selection of the Jets.

It could be that. To help sell the jerseys. It isn't bad. Thinking about it, it is actually nice to get to see multiple jerseys at home in opposed to seeing the same one all the time.

Teams like the Texans, Panthers, Eagles, and Chargers have some of the best sets of uniform in the NFL. They wear all of their jersey colors in their home games.

It occurred to the Vikings in 1964. That was the reason behind the infamous unintentional purple mono game. They wore their roads so the home fans could see them period (not much TV coverage back then) but the Lions didn't get the memo and showed up in white also. The Vikes' equipment staff retrieved their purple jerseys, the players changed on the sideline (seriously, NFL Films has a segment about it) and the Vikes finished the game looking like purple popsicles.

The fact that an NFL team is going to permanently (and prominently) wear an AFL logo on their uniform is amusing to me.

Why? The Chiefs were an AFL team and Lamar Hunt founded the AFL for crying out loud. It seems fitting if anything.

If that is the reason (and it's a bad reason, at that), they should have picked a different game in which to do it. This is their coming out party, their stadium opening. In a game like that you want to go with your marquee look, which is the colored jersey for every team except the Cowboys and maybe the Dolphins. Stadium openings aren't the right time to wear unusual combos or throwbacks (I'm looking at you, Minnesota Twins).

It made complete sense to me when they did it. The last time they opened up an outdoor stadium they wore those uniforms. There's nothing wrong with that. It also could be said that they wore them to kick off the 50th season, by wearing the uniforms of 50 years ago.

Archived