NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

by far the craziest facemask ive seen

a2071c46390f9db7a527025674f0ce68-getty-98719480cm024_carolina_pant.jpg

Those patches look atrocious. Essentially, they're the same design as those worn by the Jets, except the Jets' look much better, having taken the time to actually cut the patch to match the shape of the design. Really lazy work, IMO - they look like those cheap, shoddy sponsor patches most teams wear on their practice jerseys.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the NFL would allow third sets (non-throwbacks) ifd the following criteria are met: they incorporate new and old.

For example:

Eagles white helmet: Metallic white shell with present wings, forest green face mask. Jerseys would be forest green with old 70's font (TNR?) and possible modified sleeve striping from the Dick Vermeil era.

Seattle: Neon green helmet, neon green jersey, white pants (I have a Seattle neon green helmet in my collection)

Atlanta: White helmet (as proposed in '74) with present Falcon logo, helmet stripes, black jersey with red stripes (as per '68-69 team)

Washington: Spear on present metalic burgundy helmet

Carolina: black helmet with silver claw mark stripes (as per present) - Panthers are black are they not? Carolina blue pants.

Jax: Metallic gold helmet that in the center stripe incorporates the patterns on a jaguar's fur. Teal should be atertiary color. Gold jerseys, white pants with same design as center helmet stripe.

Texans: Battle red helmet, red jersey with logo on sleeves, white pants

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason for the white jerseys at home is simply so the fans in the stands can see the team's road uniforms in person once or twice a season? Just a thought.

If that is the reason (and it's a bad reason, at that), they should have picked a different game in which to do it. This is their coming out party, their stadium opening. In a game like that you want to go with your marquee look, which is the colored jersey for every team except the Cowboys and maybe the Dolphins. Stadium openings aren't the right time to wear unusual combos or throwbacks (I'm looking at you, Minnesota Twins).

It made complete sense to me when they did it. The last time they opened up an outdoor stadium they wore those uniforms. There's nothing wrong with that. It also could be said that they wore them to kick off the 50th season, by wearing the uniforms of 50 years ago.

I understand, but this was about a new beginning in a new stadium. There would be plenty of time the rest of the season to wear throwbacks. Then again, II don't like teams wearing throwbacks or alternates on opening day or in the postseason. They are meant for a change of pace, but for those big, high profile games, you want to look how you are supposed to.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

For major events and big games, you'd think that a team (or anyone for that matter) would want to look their very best. By wearing alts or throwbacks (more specifically talking about big time colleges going this route for their "rivalry" games), they're saying one of two things -

1. Our regular look isn't our best look, so we want to wear this throwback or alternate (in which case, change your regular look so that it is your best look.

2. These alts are our best look and we want to save them for the big / special games. The other games don't matter, so we'll just wear our every day play clothes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can somebody get a clear picture of what the new mesdowland patches look like for both the Giants and Jets...I am in Korea wanting the korean guy to make them but he keeps saying not clear not clear. Thanks a lot!!

Trollin' hard!

boxxy-trolling.jpg

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

For what it's worth I heard something that the Jets wore white/white because that's what they wore when they won SB III and wanted to open the new stadium in the same uniform.

I don't necessarily buy into it but it would at least be one explanation.

If that's the case then they ought to figure out once and for all that the only time the white socks should be worn is with the green pants. Also, the jerseys on many players are a bit of a mess, especially when the main green field on the sleeves doesn't match up properly with the shoulder stripes, creating a notch-like effect that looks terrible...09000d5d81a8347f_gallery_600.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

For what it's worth I heard something that the Jets wore white/white because that's what they wore when they won SB III and wanted to open the new stadium in the same uniform.

I don't necessarily buy into it but it would at least be one explanation.

If that's the case then they ought to figure out once and for all that the only time the white socks should be worn is with the green pants. Also, the jerseys on many players are a bit of a mess, especially when the main green field on the sleeves doesn't match up properly with the shoulder stripes, creating a notch-like effect that looks terrible...09000d5d81a8347f_gallery_600.jpg

Ya. I hate the white sox with white pants look almost as much as the dark sox with dark pants look.

That Jets look is by far the best they have. The pickle pants need to go away.

Agreed. The Jets uniforms are one of the best in the NFL. The all white looks great. And those green pants should be buried right next to wherever Jimmy Hoffa is supposed to be.

BB52Big.jpg

Wrong. The all white look is by far the most boring and stale look, the Jets have. Coupled with the white helmet and white socks, they look like ghosts.

They only wear the green pants about twice a year, so if they go away, would anyone even notice? Kind of like saying the Vikings purple pants (which are collecting dust somewhere) and the Falcons black pants (ditto) and the Titans white pants (double ditto) should go away too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with teams mixing and matching their uniforms. Too many teams are too stodgy and crusty for their own good. Watching the Cowboys trot out in those mismatched white jerseys and green pants for 4 straight months, is boring.

For major events and big games, you'd think that a team (or anyone for that matter) would want to look their very best. By wearing alts or throwbacks (more specifically talking about big time colleges going this route for their "rivalry" games), they're saying one of two things -

1. Our regular look isn't our best look, so we want to wear this throwback or alternate (in which case, change your regular look so that it is your best look.

2. These alts are our best look and we want to save them for the big / special games. The other games don't matter, so we'll just wear our every day play clothes.

Maybe we should all just accept the fact that NFL teams (and 99% of the public too) don't care what teams look like when they take the field. But then I guess we the vocal minority would have to find something better to do with our time. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Wrong. The all white look is by far the most boring and stale look, the Jets have. Coupled with the white helmet and white socks, they look like ghosts.

They only wear the green pants about twice a year, so if they go away, would anyone even notice? Kind of like saying the Vikings purple pants (which are collecting dust somewhere) and the Falcons black pants (ditto) and the Titans white pants (double ditto) should go away too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with teams mixing and matching their uniforms. Too many teams are too stodgy and crusty for their own good. Watching the Cowboys trot out in those mismatched white jerseys and green pants for 4 straight months, is boring.

Dennis Bergan has spoken. That's that. May as well close the thread now.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived