NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

Here is what I came up for the Redskins to try and uniform the striping!

NFLConcept-Redskins2010.png

I like this set, but I must say that as much as I usually like striping consistency, it almost seems like overkill when it occurs on the helmet, jersey AND socks. As some have suggested, I think plain burgundy socks might be better. Or you could leave the stripes on the socks and go with one gold stripe on the sleeve cuffs and return the numbers to the sleeves. Just thinking out loud...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Jets look is by far the best they have. The pickle pants need to go away.

Agreed. The Jets uniforms are one of the best in the NFL. The all white looks great. And those green pants should be buried right next to wherever Jimmy Hoffa is supposed to be.

I agree with this too. However, since dennisbergan has spoken on the subject, I realize I must be wrong. :P

I like this set, but I must say that as much as I usually like striping consistency, it almost seems like overkill when it occurs on the helmet, jersey AND socks. As some have suggested, I think plain burgundy socks might be better. Or you could leave the stripes on the socks and go with one gold stripe on the sleeve cuffs and return the numbers to the sleeves. Just thinking out loud...

I agree. I myself am for striping consistency (Packers) when done correctly. As a Saints fan it kills me more having the triple stripe on our helmet and the single wide stripe on our pants and then no stripe when we go ninja...hurts me more than the lack of a consistent gold! But here are a few other looks with the stripes.

NFLConcept-Redskins2010Home.png

NFLConcept-Redskins2010Away.png

NFLConcept-Redskins2010Away2.png

Hey BigDub, you do a great job with those concepts. If you have a chance sometime, I've wondered what the Saints' current uni would look like with two changes: the original gold and the original blk/whi/blk pants stripe. IMO those two relatively minor changes would make their set just outstanding.

P.S. Nice ring. :D Did you buy some chances in the raffle?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'd like to see the Saints add a dark silver to the set as well. I can imagine an alt silver helmet, although I would like to see the old black helmet revived.

Other helmets I would revive:

Eagles white (modern wings, green facemask, metallic white shell)

Oilers blue helmet as applied to Titans (from '72-73 season)

Falcons red with modern logo and white/black center stripes

New England white with current logo, red facemask

I'd like to see the Saints add a dark silver to the set as well. I can imagine an alt silver helmet, although I would like to see the old black helmet revived.

Other helmets I would revive:

Eagles white (modern wings, green facemask, metallic white shell)

Oilers blue helmet as applied to Titans (from '72-73 season)

Falcons red with modern logo and white/black center stripes

New England white with current logo, red facemask

As a Saints fan, I would severely hate any dark silver addition or an alt silver helmet. I'd like to see them standardize the golds, get rid of the extra outline on the fleur-de-lis and maybe go back to the black pants style from 1976-85 for occasional use with the white jerseys.

by far the craziest facemask ive seen

a2071c46390f9db7a527025674f0ce68-getty-98719480cm024_carolina_pant.jpg

This is another example of the so called "NFL uniformity Nazis" asleep at the wheel. Showing that much armpit is against the rules, but we know that is never enforced. But what gets to me is 1)the jersey is cropped at the waist, as many players have been doing lately (Brady, Urlacher). That is specifically against the rules. 2)This ******* is wearing a belly shirt for a jersey yet he is wearing a long t-shirt underneath? That should be a huge fine.

One thing I hate is the recent trend of players (mostly QBs) wearing t-shirts under their jerseys. Sometimes they wear tight sleeves and sometimes loose ones. I thought you couldn't have ****ing sleeves? The NFL needs to hammer down on that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Hey BigDub, you do a great job with those concepts. If you have a chance sometime, I've wondered what the Saints' current uni would look like with two changes: the original gold and the original blk/whi/blk pants stripe. IMO those two relatively minor changes would make their set just outstanding.

P.S. Nice ring. biggrin.gif Did you buy some chances in the raffle?

It's funny you should ask because I did this pic of Reggie, like 2 days ago thinking about the same thing. I don't think the team would ever revert back to the original 'mustard' gold that they used in the 60's but I would like to see them unify the golds and make them a bit richer like that used by the 49ers, before the switch last year. I can understand the 49ers, wanting to re-capture a nice era in their uniform history but they could have at least left out the khaki pants and gray facemask. The Saints, on the other hand I don't see changing anytime soon especially since we just won our first SB in these threads. Even though some teams have tweaked and or changed unis following a SB win, I don't think that applies to us right now. Then again I can't see by us re-vamping the striping and getting to 'one' gold as a complete shock to anyone who pays as much attention to detail as some of us on here do!

NFLConcept-ReggieDkGold.png

Here was another version of the Redskins that I did using a darker maroon and more subtle gold. I reversed the color pattern on the helmet to match the sleeves and socks.

NFLConcept-RedskinsBurgOldGld.png

NFLConcept-ReggieDkGold.png

Here was another version of the Redskins that I did using a darker maroon and more subtle gold. I reversed the color pattern on the helmet to match the sleeves and socks.

NFLConcept-RedskinsBurgOldGld.png

Man, I always love your stuff. I was thinking about that idea of reversing the stripes on the 'Skins' helmets and jerseys, too, and the fact that if they used that striping pattern for the burgundy pants, they wouldn't be so similar to the Chiefs' stripes.

Love the Reggie, pic, too, although I'm curious about why you put the gold in between the black and white stripes on the pants...

Did you create this template, by the way? I really like how it illustrates all the elements of a uniform in a game-like pose. Some templates in which the helmet, jersey, pants and socks are all separated make it hard to imagine how everything would hang together.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Man, I always love your stuff. I was thinking about that idea of reversing the stripes on the 'Skins' helmets and jerseys, too, and the fact that if they used that striping pattern for the burgundy pants, they wouldn't be so similar to the Chiefs' stripes.

Love the Reggie, pic, too, although I'm curious about why you put the gold in between the black and white stripes on the pants...

Did you create this template, by the way? I really like how it illustrates all the elements of a uniform in a game-like pose. Some templates in which the helmet, jersey, pants and socks are all separated make it hard to imagine how everything would hang together.

Thanks for the compliment. I thought about the pants being like the Chiefs as well and that's why I reversed them, also because I felt that the gold enveloping the other stripes made it stand out more. I didn't create the template that I used but I did touch it up and added a few features to make it more to my liking.

The reason I added the gold in between the black and white stripes is because IMO it makes the white stripe less obtrusive. I mean that in the sense of the black stripe being so dominant in color, unlike the Cowboys and Packers who use a similar style but the darker color marries better with the white stripe in either blue or green. Throwing a gold stripe in there to split it up would help bridge the two colors being that the gold is technically a medium color anyway, it would help the eyes sort of blend it into the white stripe. The other reason is because the gold stripe along with the black and white one would help mimic the striping on the helmet logo. I liken the pattern to what the 49ers wore before their last update to the retro set in 2009, although they did not carry the gold stripes in their pants into the stripes on their helmet (why I don't know).

SI just did one of those "Rare Pics of..." galleries and these two of Reggie were in there. Obviously they're from 2006, but after the rookie shoot because IIRC Bush wore #5 in those. It's a current Saints jersey with what looks like a hybrid of the original '67 font, which had much wider white borders, and the late 90's Ditka-era font.

'67 font

Dave%20Whitsell.jpg

'97 font

Gil%20Fennerty.jpg

Reggie in 2006

reggie-bush-015763085.jpg

reggie-bush-015761022.jpg

"Authentic" Reggie

071021_ReggieBush_vmed.widec.jpg

Wonder what the story is on that design? Maybe all he could afford was a cheap China counterfeit. Or maybe they just had an old Fred McAfee jersey lying around. :D

Freddy_Mac.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

SI just did one of those "Rare Pics of..." galleries and these two of Reggie were in there. Obviously they're from 2006, but after the rookie shoot because IIRC Bush wore #5 in those. It's a current Saints jersey with what looks like a hybrid of the original '67 font, which had much wider white borders, and the late 90's Ditka-era font.

'67 font

Dave%20Whitsell.jpg

'97 font

Gil%20Fennerty.jpg

Reggie in 2006

reggie-bush-015763085.jpg

reggie-bush-015761022.jpg

"Authentic" Reggie

071021_ReggieBush_vmed.widec.jpg

Wonder what the story is on that design? Maybe all he could afford was a cheap China counterfeit. Or maybe they just had an old Fred McAfee jersey lying around. :D

Freddy_Mac.jpg

Gotta be a knockoff. The 2 is horrible. Really roughshod. And the McAfee era jerseys, while having a similar 2, had a double outline, with a black keyline between the gold number and the white outline, did they not?

bigdub81: I could live with your changes (up at the top of the page), but I agree that itmight be overkill on helmet, jersey and socks, though not as bad as when people try to put the same stripes on the pants as well. I might try one color numbers here as well, given how lively it is with all the stripes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived