Best fonts for a resume

Jezus_Ghoti

What would be recommended for a non-design job?

I wouldn't go too crazy. As boring as they are, the reason Times and Georgia, etc are so ubiquitious is because they're legible. If you want to go with a less ordinary serif font, just make sure it's legible and you should be fine.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I agree with Fraser. If it's for a creative position, the layout and hierarchy are far more important than typeface selection. If it's any help, my last resume featured Klavika (light, all caps and tracked out) for headings and subheads, and Helvetica Neue (Regular, kerned) for body copy.

thats not really what i was saying, youve added a caveat.

this thread may as well be 'whats the best colour for a resume?' everyone will have a differing opinion and it really makes little odds. ive seen beautifully laid out cvs in black and white helvetica.

case in point, my mate alice, who is an outstanding designer has a very simple helvetica (as far as i can tell) cv: http://www.aliceking.net/Alices_Site/Contact.html

i strongly advise you take a look at the rest of her stuff, she is an amazing designer specializing in fashion and packaging.

What were you trying to say? And, if ya don't mind me asking, what's CV stand for?

My resume's in black and white, for what it's worth.

that font choice is like colour choice. only one small part of any design.

sorry cv stands for curriculum vitae. its british (well latin) for resume.

seriously, check out alices resume and you ll see what i mean.

What were you trying to say? And, if ya don't mind me asking, what's CV stand for?

My resume's in black and white, for what it's worth.

that font choice is like colour choice. only one small part of any design.

sorry cv stands for curriculum vitae. its british (well latin) for resume.

seriously, check out alices resume and you ll see what i mean.

In the US, a CV is more of a roll-up of your entire professional career, including any publications you may have. We tend to reserve CVs for academic use, while resumes are for everything else. It's a slight difference.

Also, I looked at your friend's CV (which reads more like a US resume). She's a good example of why graphic designers should have editors:

My involvement with Jaeger began when it was reinventing itself and shaking off past stigma. Our goal was simple: to modernise the brand whilst building on it?s illustrious history and reputation

I know that grammar, usage and style aren't critical components of a graphic designer's skill set, but it's not a bad idea to have someone review your copy before you publish it online.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like, and use, Calibri for everything.

EVERYTHING.

And what's better is that using it in conjunction with Cambria provides quite a nice departure from the Arial/Times New Roman pairing that seems to be everywhere.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

You really shouldn't do a "creative" resume for anything but a creative position. If you're a lawyer (for example) and do something "creative" it can look very unprofessional.

the reality is, a non-creative position the content matters most. IN a creative position, its what the content looks like that matters. I could care less how many jobs you have but if your book is solid, and you got my attention with a well designed (I didn't say creative...) resume you'll be just fine.

You don't need to reinvent the resume. Just make an appealing piece that shows off your work.

I like, and use, Calibri for everything.

EVERYTHING.

My last resumé? Calibri. Every headline I write? In Calibri.

The new MS fonts like Calibri, Corbel, and Cambria have been growing on me--use them now before they become as ubiquitous as Times New Roman and Arial. For resumes that require Word format, I use Cambria (at least until it gets old). For resumes I'm going to PDF, my favorites are Minion for the text and Optima for headings.

Otherwise, you could try using a mixture of Comic Sans and Copperplate...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I've never seen these Microsoft typefaces. Are they of any count?

220px-CambriaSpecimen.svg.png

220px-Calibri_font.svg.png

230px-Calibri_sample.svg.png

Calibri is default Word font since Word 2007, so (in the corporate environment at least) you see it everywhere. It's pretty nice, but bordering on a little too ubiquitous.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I use Cambria and Calibri. Nothing too crazy, because having been on both sides (hiring and sending) I know that it really only matters for certain jobs. But those wild fonts some people use can be gasp inducing.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived