My attempt at some MLB uniform re-dos

wdm1219inpenna

Hello all. First of all, let me just say that seeing so many wonderful concepts on here over the years has really been impressive and inspiring to say the very least. Having grown up during the 1970s, when color tvs first really came out in droves, and pro sports like baseball and football caught my eye with their very colorful uniforms, this website has been nothing short of a Mecca for me. I appreciate all of Mr. Creamer's continued efforts and the efforts of all who participate on these boards. Even though I'm almost 44 now, and even though I'm terrible at creating my own art, I have taken the liberty of borrowing many of the logos and items made available on this website to kind of re-create some MLB uniforms in my own image.

I know many detest the technicolor nightmare that was the 1970s, but I believe that one thing many baseball uniforms lack now are identities. Used to be if you saw gold caps & black shirts, it was the Pirates. Orange caps was an instant tip off that it was the Astros. Kelly green caps were the Athletics and so on.

Now many teams seem to wear dark caps, even the A's have gone to a midnight green which is bland to me. The N.L. now has 4 teams that are red, the Nats, the Reds, the Phillies & the Cardinals. Very difficult sometimes to tell who is who at first glance. The Astros & D'Backs look very similar too, and it leads to a rather bland combo if you ask me.

So for your viewing pleasure, or displeasure as the case may be, I've re-created 2 National League team uniforms marrying the old with the not so old.

First up are the Philadelphia Phillies & the San Diego Padres. Again, these are not anywhere near as good as what you all do, this is just for fun and relaxation for myself, and I thought I'd share because I do enjoy reading all comments about things I post. I'm no artist, but here's what I re-created, again thanks to this amazing website:

Phillies:

PHILADELPHIAPHILLIES3.png

Padres:

SANDIEGOPADRES3.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, in attempting to replicate their powder blues from the 70s, it does seem a bit too bright, I'll work on readjusting it later.

For now, here are 3 more teams I did.

Red Sox:

BOSTONREDSOX3.png

I realize the red socks on the sleeves are disproportionate, something else to "fix"

Pirates: Stayed with the current uniform set, but put the old pirate on the sleeve, and gave them the gold caps for "home":

PITTSBURGHPIRATES3.png

Reds: Used a brighter shade of red, and utilized most of the 1975 set, except it's not a double-knit uni...

CINCINNATIREDS3.png

More to come. I'm not doing all 30 teams, as some of the uniform sets are fine as is, but I'm redoing some other ones in my own image.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Thanks me too. I was amazed at how simple it was to re-create it, and how it turned out too.

I'm currently attempting a Brewers re-do, but finding it to be a bit difficult. I hope to work on a few more tomorrow.

Beside the Brewers, I'll most likely attempt an Orioles re-do, Indians, Twins, Mariners, Athletics, Expos, Nationals, Mets, & Marlins.

Thanks for the feedback all, and good night.

One new one and one other change I made to an existing one.

First the Milwaukee Brewers. This one is a "sloppy copy", and needs much touchup work done. That being said, I incorporated the Brewers blue-purple hue used back in the day. All say they never had purple, but blue, but to my dying breath, I will contend it was purplish...

MILWAUKEEBREWERS3.png

And a Phillies road re-do, this time in grey.

PHILADELPHIAPHILLIES4.png

I won't be doing every one of the 30 MLB teams, as many of the uniform sets that are on this website are already perfect to me. I'm just making minor, or in some cases, not so minor, changes to the uniforms of some teams.

I like everything you've done so far, and I'm glad you made the Phillies' road gray.

My question though, is that it seems like a lot of these aren't really noticeable changes - what did you change in the Philles (for that era), Cardinals home, Reds home (for that era), and some of the other ones? The changes don't stand out to me.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I like everything you've done so far, and I'm glad you made the Phillies' road gray.

My question though, is that it seems like a lot of these aren't really noticeable changes - what did you change in the Philles (for that era), Cardinals home, Reds home (for that era), and some of the other ones? The changes don't stand out to me.

Good question.

The Phillies. I married the current concept of having the entire name "Phillies" written out, but changed their color from red to maroon/burgundy, colors they had from 1971-92. When they had the burgundy, their home & away uniforms only featured the "P", and not the entire team name.

The Cardinals, other than doing the stirrup socks, the only other change is I have "St. Louis" for their road uniform.

The Reds, I simply utilized what they had circa the mid 70s, and placed it on a modern looking uniform (no double-knit jobs).

I re-did the Phillies powder blue aways, utilizing the Montreal Expos powder blue uni color from this website. Hopefully it will not be so bright now.

PHILADELPHIAPHILLIES3-1.png

Next is the New York Mets. This uniform set is the one they should have, period. No black hats, no black trim, none of this alternate stuff they use. Pinstripes at home....

NEWYORKMETS3.png

Harkening back to my original premise, it was much better when you could identify a team almost immediately. To that end, I have restored, for the most part, the teal caps of the Florida Marlins. I included the black cap as a road alternative to the teal with black brim.

FLORIDAMARLINS3.png

Last, the Baltimore Orioles. I married the 70s w/the current version to come up with this set, including the stirrup socks as always...

BALTIMOREORIOLES3.png

I know I won't be doing the Yankees, as for the Blue Jays, their 1993 set is what I'd go with. I may do Tampa Bay, not sure yet. More to come...I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Now batting....the Montreal Expos...

All I did was re-do the cap, the rest is off of here, really a nice uniform, I'd forgotten how gorgeous this uni was.....I'm stuck in the 70s :(

MONTREALEXPOS3.png

And from the Junior Circuit, a double-knit re-do of the Oakland Athletics, complete with 3rd alternate uniform. One of the rare times I'll do an alt for a team...

OAKLANDATHLETICS3.png

I utilized the Red Sox numeral font rather than the Expo font for the A's this time. I also added the elephant w/the crossed bats as a sleeve emblem.

More hopefully to come....

Archived