2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

The old system of win-loss-tie is clearly broken, but in order to keep some tradition to it, points are still used.

Perhaps if it wants to remain relevant, it should be 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an overtime win, and 1 for an overtime loss.

Honestly, the NHL should just scrap the points system altogether, since each game will have a winner.

But if they must keep points around, they should use a soccer-style points system, and ditch overtime altogether. Make ties the equivalent to 1/3rd of a win instead of half-a-win. Make wins much more pivotal than just settling for ties.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're debating overtime rules.

What I'd like to see is 3 on 3 for 5 minutes and if it's still tied then it stays tied. You lose as a team not hope to hell the goalie can bail you out.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

What I'd like to see is 3 on 3 for 5 minutes and if it's still tied then it stays tied. You lose as a team not hope to hell the goalie can bail you out.

I would do a 10 minute overtime of 4 on 4 then move to 5 minutes of 3 on 3 and finally a shootout. Not the most efficient way to determine a winner but it lower the number of shootouts which is a positive.

I would do a 10 minute overtime of 4 on 4 then move to 5 minutes of 3 on 3 and finally a shootout. Not the most efficient way to determine a winner but it lower the number of shootouts which is a positive.

Yeah I agree, the shoot out is a nice gimmick for non hockey fans, buts it worn off its welcome.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah I agree, the shoot out is a nice gimmick for non hockey fans, buts it worn off its welcome.

Disagree. It's one of the few things the NHL has that casual sports fans like. We can debate all we want about how it's not true to the game, but really. Most casual sports fans, and I would say most hockey fans themselves, seem to enjoy it. Keep it, but only for the the regular season.

Don't look now, but the Stars are 4-0-0.

Question, if they don't allow ties anymore, why not a simple Win/Loss record? Are points still necessary?

Yes, the loser point for an OTL.

But each game ends with a win and a loss...whether it ends in regulation or via the gimmick. Why hand out points for playing a 61st minute when each game has a definitive winner/loser?

I wasn't defending the NHL points system, it seemed he merely wanted an answer for the 3rd column and I was explaining that.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

So excited that the Bruins signed Zdeno Chara to a new contract. Now we have 7 more years of Chara NOT using that "hardest shot in the NHL" on the powerplay! <_<

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The old system of win-loss-tie is clearly broken, but in order to keep some tradition to it, points are still used.

Perhaps if it wants to remain relevant, it should be 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an overtime win, and 1 for an overtime loss.

Honestly, the NHL should just scrap the points system altogether, since each game will have a winner.

But if they must keep points around, they should use a soccer-style points system, and ditch overtime altogether. Make ties the equivalent to 1/3rd of a win instead of half-a-win. Make wins much more pivotal than just settling for ties.

Best idea yet!

Wow... the Wild are just thrashing Luongo and the Canucks tonight. 5-1 and the 2nd period isn't even over yet.

Edit/update: After drawing a misconduct penalty, Rick Rypien attacks a fan for no apparent reason, and the fan gets kicked out of the game. WTF!?

Edit/update #2: Now the announcers are saying the fan wasn't kicked out, but moved away from the Vancouver bench area "for his own protection" along with a couple of other fans nearby.

CCSLC signature.png

Wow... the Wild are just thrashing Luongo and the Canucks tonight. 5-1 and the 2nd period isn't even over yet.

that bag skate did wonders...

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

After drawing a misconduct penalty, Rick Rypien attacks a fan for no apparent reason

I'm sure there was a reason, it just wasn't apparent. Nonetheless, I thought the Canucks were done having temper tantrums.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just saw the clip. It was just a shove, but still well beyond acceptable fan/player interaction. Rypien's a knob. He should be suspended or traded to St. Louis.

It'll be interesting to see how this is handled by the hockey media, especially the Canadian contingent. There's going to be a real conflict here: this recent culture of hyperbolic outcry for draconian suspensions versus the belief that any Canadian team on a playoff trajectory is doing the Lord's work on Earth. The best way I can reconcile the two is "we should be talking AT LEAST a fifty-game suspension for jeopardizing the chances of the Stanley Cup returning to Canada."

Oh and then add that Brian Burke witnessed this with his glimmering Irish eyes and by adding this truculence, you can start planning the parade route.

Just saw the clip. It was just a shove, but still well beyond acceptable fan/player interaction. Rypien's a knob. He should be suspended or traded to St. Louis.

It'll be interesting to see how this is handled by the hockey media, especially the Canadian contingent. There's going to be a real conflict here: this recent culture of hyperbolic outcry for draconian suspensions versus the belief that any Canadian team on a playoff trajectory is doing the Lord's work on Earth. The best way I can reconcile the two is "we should be talking AT LEAST a fifty-game suspension for jeopardizing the chances of the Stanley Cup returning to Canada."

Oh and then add that Brian Burke witnessed this with his glimmering Irish eyes and by adding this truculence, you can start planning the parade route.

Knowing the NHL, he'll get a $2500 fine because he didn't hit the fan in the head. Also, a stern talking to.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Big win for the Jackets tonight, however if attendance like this keeps up, there may be no Columbus Blue Jackets in a couple years. Under 10,000 at tonight's game. These guys need to get good fast to keep the team in Columbus.

Be glad the Ducks have no defense, Hiller gives up one softie per game, and that the Ducks love to watch their own passing on the power play. <_<

And yeah I was surprised by the attendance. I get that it's a Wednesday night and the Ducks aren't playing well, but under 10,000 is bad. I know for a fact that even the Ducks right now could get at the least 13,000 for a Wednesday night game against these same Blue Jackets. Ohio is actual hockey country too. There isn't anything else going on right now either. That's pretty bad.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I don't think Ohio is really hockey country. The college teams have their little localized niches, but I don't think the sport has any major statewide foothold. You'd think the latitude and Great Lakesiness of most of the state would make it a natural hockey hotbed (coldbed?), but I've never really picked that up.

Columbus probably wasn't a good idea, since the city isn't all that big and it (in some ways literally) belongs to Ohio State. Attendance woes are one thing, but the real hazard for the Blue Jackets is the arena situation.

I can't help but feel like I'm watching the beginning of the end. Gordon Gee and OSU really never gave them a chance when they refused to get together on an arena deal. Nationwide's lease isn't helping and a bad team that has really never been good is going to damn them if they don't get better. It sucks because they're literally one of my ten favorite things in the world. They need to get better fast or we're in trouble. I have no doubts that a good team would draw well (we could be the Ottawa of the US!). I just get so pissed at this "Ohio State or nothing" attitude that so many people in this town have, such as my girlfriend's father.

You would think that northern Ohio would help out a little, but those morons grew up with the Cavs and they all have this perception of hockey as a minor league afterthought. That's how they feel even about the NHL. Everyone I went to college with from Cleveland didn't know a thing about hockey nor were they interested in learning. Heaven forbid I turn away from Lebron for three seconds to check on the Jackets score. This may sound weird because Cleveland is constantly bagged on nationally, but Clevelanders act like snobs towards the rest of Ohio's sports teams. If you live in Ohio and you're not from Cleveland then you must be kidding. I feel bad for them, they're stuck with the inferior product in the NBA and they don't even know it.

Cincinnatians seem more interested because they grew up with the Cyclones who were always doing well in the minors, but how many people are you going to get to drive up on a weeknight.

Whatevs, nice win Jackets. I enjoyed it and I will see you next Thursday.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My brother is a Jackets fan and I always try and get tickets for him and me when they're in town so I kinda have soft spot for the Jackets.

I look forward to the Flames in CBus on Friday night.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Is it a bad thing that as I start to read this dialogue, I start to tear up a bit? I mean, the Jackets are by far and away my favorite team, I've followed them since a year or two after their inception (when a kid can really start to care), and I've really never felt the same way about any other team as I do about the Jackets. I love this team more than anything else and well to be honest, I'm not sure what I'd do without them. Hopefully the Jackets can get good, and Columbus can become the Ottawa of the US, because right now, that seems like the best-case scenario for this team. I mean, the Clippers averaged nearly 9,000 people a game this year, and I dunno, drawing around the average attendance of the minor league baseball team hurts. Oh, and Saturday night home games in the first half of the year do nothing to help the Jackets' attendance woes.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this Friday, but damn, is this depressing. This team's gotta realize it's potential fast. I'm not sure how many more years the Jackets can survive in Columbus in this state.

Go Jackets! Carry the Flag!

6fQjS3M.png

Archived