2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

I hope things get better for the Jackets. My brother and I have taken a road trip over there when they played the pens the past two seasons, and plan on doing it again this year. I've loved it both times, it was a great game both times (both shootouts, trading wins), and hope it's a tradition we can keep up. I remember at the end of the 08-09 season when we went, and the Jackets were making the playoffs, there was an air of almost youthful excitement and hope. Not to mention their arena kicks ass.

It could be a great hockey town if they could get a good team on the ice.

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Ohio is really hockey country. The college teams have their little localized niches, but I don't think the sport has any major statewide foothold. You'd think the latitude and Great Lakesiness of most of the state would make it a natural hockey hotbed (coldbed?), but I've never really picked that up.

Columbus probably wasn't a good idea, since the city isn't all that big and it (in some ways literally) belongs to Ohio State. Attendance woes are one thing, but the real hazard for the Blue Jackets is the arena situation.

I think it might have been different had the old/original AHL Barons actually gotten into the NHL during the 1950s/Original 6 Era. I'm of the impression that they were quite the successful organization back then. Alternatively, Cleveland hockey might have done better in the 1970s if Richfield Coliseum had been built someplace closer to Cleveland than Richfield. It also strikes me that "What might have been" perfectly describes hockey in Ohio.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't understand what you guys mean by "the Ottawa of the U.S.," except for both cities being capitals. You want a team in a mid-sized city that does kinda well sometimes? Okay, aim high.

Oh, and nice of Roberto Luongo to crap the bed and go 12/18 in Minnesota last night and then 31/32 in Chicago tonight. I miss Playoff Dustin Byfuglien.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't understand what you guys mean by "the Ottawa of the U.S.," except for both cities being capitals. You want a team in a mid-sized city that does kinda well sometimes? Okay, aim high.

Well my use of it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, hence the exclamation point. It comes from how often I hear that Columbus and their NHL team could be like Ottawa and their hockey team, basically for the same reasons you stated.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oh, and nice of Roberto Luongo to crap the bed and go 12/18 in Minnesota last night and then 31/32 in Chicago tonight. I miss Playoff Dustin Byfuglien.

At least he only kinda sorta stopped two of those three shootout attempts.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well my use of it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, hence the exclamation point. It comes from how often I hear that Columbus and their NHL team could be like Ottawa and their hockey team, basically for the same reasons you stated.

Hm. Well, the fundamental difference is that the Senators own their arena and it's the only one in town, whereas the Jackets don't own theirs and their arena competes with a virtually identical one about four or five miles away. One team is making the most of small town challenges and the other one is being undermined. Funny how so much of this comes down to real estate.

So what's the deal with the Blue Jackets? I thought they had good attendance (or at least decent.) They used to, right? Or was this just one game where the place was half empty?

The first few seasons were pretty good, with regular sellouts and the building never dipping below 80% capacity. There are a few factors that have contributed to the decline in attendance. The teams sucks being the biggest one. At first people were into just being apart of one of the big 4 sports. We'd watch 12 girls get slaughtered every night if it meant that we were in the NHL. The fact is that the novelty of being in the NHL has worn off and people want to see a winner. Then you have the economy and the lockout really killed a lot of steam.

I honestly believe that we're just like any other city. If they start to win, people will show up again. The team's been taking a dump on the ice for 10 years now. There are probably only a handful of cities that could withstand that without having attendance issues.

I don't want to sound like a Tampa Bay Rays or Florida Marlins fan here, but their TV ratings aren't terrible either. They finished above the bottom ten last year with a really crappy team. This has given birth to their new (and incredibly transparent) marketing campaign, "You gotta see it live!".

PvO6ZWJ.png

We'd watch 12 girls get slaughtered every night if it meant that we were in the NHL.

Well, I suppose you sorta had one (inhales through clenched teeth, slinks away)

This is lower than I had expected, but it is what it is:

Canucks' Rypien Suspended Six Games for Fan Altercation

Vancouver Canucks forward Rick Rypien has been suspended six games for his altercation with a fan on Tuesday in Minnesota.

The forward attended an in-person disciplinary hearing on Friday morning in New York, that also included NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and vice-president Colin Campbell among others.

The Canucks also were fined $25,000, as required by League policy

LINK

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

So 21/2 weeks for grabbing a fan. I guess it fits considering that he was a first-time offender when it comes to discipline from the league. Plus, it's not like he pulled an "Old-Time Hockey" & started going into the stands and laying the smackdown. He grabbed the dude, & walked off. Looking at it again, part of the blame has to go to the Wild for being the one of few teams (if not the only one) in the league to not have that part of the stands blocked off in some form to eliminate the possibility of this even happening. But still, that doesn't absolve Rypien from doing what he did, which is why he got the suspension.

part of the blame has to go to the Wild for being the one of few teams (if not the only one) in the league to not have that part of the stands blocked off in some form to eliminate the possibility of this even happening.

I can't get on board with that. The Wild have been playing there for ten years without incident.

I love Columbus, I love the arena district. As nice as the Penguins new building is, there's no place to eat/hangout nearby. The Steelhead at the Marriott doesn't count.

As for a tiebreaker, a little late to the game but I have the best one yet--

Each team picks a guy. They stand on the end line, on the same side of the ice. The net is completely removed at the other end. Each player shoots the puck--simultaneously. The puck must cross the center red line to count. Whoever gets the puck further down the ice WITHOUT HITTING THE BOARDS wins the game. If they both DQ, two new guys shoot.

1zgyd8w.jpg

After the Giants have finished off the Phillies en route to the NL pennant, one would like to think that thier hockey-playing bay area brethren from San Jose would be inspired.

Sharks boat-raced the Oilers in Edmonton tonight 6-1. Joe Thornton with a 4 point night. They were inspired by the Giants. I'm rolling with that.

Um, so Ilya Kovalchuk, you know, Devils' leading scorer and the certain example for the next yearlong lockout, was a healthy scratch - coach's decision - for tonight's game against Buffalo, after getting dropped to the second line for their game against Montreal. With that bit of strategy set, the Sabres delivered a 6-1 asswaxing in Newark.

So, what are the odds Lou's looking to get his finest bench suits out of storage?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Pavel Datsyuk's GWG with 12 seconds left to beat Anaheim.

I know, I know, Anaheim's defense has been derided as AHL-quality in this thread...but good grief, what a goal. That was beautiful.

It's a great goal no doubt, but I'm honestly surprised my room is still intact at this point. Prior to this there is a turnover and just an clear innate ability to clear the puck. Then Datsyuk is able to pull this off because of the vast amount of time and space he is given to pick his spot completely untouched. Pitiful.

The inability to clear the puck, especially in this game, is amazing. We finally get the goal scoring going, and we can't play decent defense for more than 15-20 second bursts.

Visnovsky/Lydman

Mara/Lilja

Brookbank/Syvret

That's not a defense I can trust. Cam Fowler is better than the bottom 3 in ever facet of the game, and is probably better than everyone on the defense at actual defense and he is an 18-year old out of juniors. It sucks he's out with his broken nose and stiff neck, because as sad as it sounds, an 18-year old makes our defense semi-stable at times.

Lilja didn't need to be signed. Mikkelson shouldn't have been attempted to be sent down to go through waivers. Lubomir Visnovsky is not a #1 defenseman. Toni Lydman and Paul Mara are decent #3s, and Lydman would be fine as a #2 if his #1 stopped turning the puck over for whenever is convenient for him.

Hell the Ducks back-up goalie Curtis McElhinney gave up 5 goals and was still the #3 star of the game. Hiller has been pretty good except for his consistent soft goal each game. The goals have been there, which hasn't always been the case in the recent past. Besides the first 3 games which I've just thrown away, the offense has been there, and the goaltending for the most part has been there. The Defense is absolutely horrendous. Even in the wins it hasn't been great. All it has to be is decent and they'll win games.

Usually in the past seasons, I've blamed the Ducks problems on coach Randy Carlyle. But this year it isn't even his fault. It's our horrendous defense, and its the orchestrator of our horrendous defense, GM Bob Murray.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Um, so Ilya Kovalchuk, you know, Devils' leading scorer and the certain example for the next yearlong lockout, was a healthy scratch - coach's decision - for tonight's game against Buffalo, after getting dropped to the second line for their game against Montreal. With that bit of strategy set, the Sabres delivered a 6-1 asswaxing in Newark.

So, what are the odds Lou's looking to get his finest bench suits out of storage?

I was at that debacle last night

John MacLean was groomed to be the coach for a long time, I can't see them pulling the plug this soon.

The Devils problems are not the coach, they have some injuries and a roster of rookies who are playing terrible.

Their defense sucks they don't hit everybody and look like a team playing scared.

Their passing sucks its like they are afraid of getting hit and are trying to make the fancy play.

The signing of Kovalchuk is looking bad right now they have been forced to play with a shortened roster and Kovalchuk is not playing good right now and this benching just looks bad.

They are also jinxing themselves in the pregame intros for years they played Hell's Bells when they took the ice.

With great intros like this

This year they are playing the tolling bells put playing this song Rise as part of the team's 2010/11 slogan :wacko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK5CqyddUIU

They have not won a home game this year. They need to bring back Hell's Bells and get back to Devils hockey and hit somebody.

I mean if they let the other team just pass the puck back and forth and not put any pressure or pain on them well not even Toe Blake could turn them around.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived