2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Whoa. There is no one at this Wild-Thrashers game in Atlanta. There are literally 2-3 fan-chunks scattered throughout the building. I bring this up because I have noticed that when there seems to be about 100 fans at a game, the official attendance is listed at 10,000 or 11,000. Is the small number of fans on the TV screen an illusion, or does the team intentionally inflate the numbers?

Well, the game vs. Blue Jackets drew 8,000 something fans so when it comes to numbers, the Thrashers aren't inflating it.

I'd say they'd have an excuse due to the fact that the Falcons are playing a home game right next door, but in the words of my favorite blog, "Let's Be Reality," for a weeknight game against the Wild, I expected a pretty low turnout. But knowing this city, there will probably be a near-sellout for the Penguins game on Saturday (with half the fans wearing

) like there was for the Blackhawks game this past Saturday.

Which leads me to this point: The Thrashers need to start winning, that's the only way people will show up. The only town that's more front-runner leaning than the A-Town is probably Miami.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official attendance accounts for tickets sold or given for the game. They don't count only the ones that made it to the gates. That's why sometimes, it looks like 5,000 fans but official attendance is higher.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Whoa. There is no one at this Wild-Thrashers game in Atlanta. There are literally 2-3 fan-chunks scattered throughout the building. I bring this up because I have noticed that when there seems to be about 100 fans at a game, the official attendance is listed at 10,000 or 11,000. Is the small number of fans on the TV screen an illusion, or does the team intentionally inflate the numbers?

Well, the game vs. Blue Jackets drew 8,000 something fans so when it comes to numbers, the Thrashers aren't inflating it.

I'd say they'd have an excuse due to the fact that the Falcons are playing a home game right next door, but in the words of my favorite blog, "Let's Be Reality," for a weeknight game against the Wild, I expected a pretty low turnout. But knowing this city, there will probably be a near-sellout for the Penguins game on Saturday (with half the fans wearing

Which leads me to this point: The Thrashers need to start winning, that's the only way people will show up. The only town that's more front-runner leaning than the A-Town is probably Miami.

Even then, people still might not show up. Atlanta sucks as a sports town/region. So does Miami. So does New Jersey.

And thus life's delicate balance is restored. <_<

/7 game win streak IS NOT equivalent exchange for losing Oshie for 3 months. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It was a late-arriving crowd tonight, due to the Falcons game.

I spoke to a fan that lives in Alpharetta, and it took them 2.5 hours to get there when it normally takes them 45 minutes to an hour.

Kudos on the Wiz Khalifa reference....amazing song.

untitled-1.png

Brett Sutter (Darryl's Son) was charged with assault after punching a guy in a Scottsdale Bar. This what happens when you're a healthy scratch all the time so drink your sorrows away and then punch a guy.

Link

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I just took a look at the "All Star" ballot. What a joke. Can anybody tell me how guys like Marc-Andre Fluery and Nikolai Khabibulin are even on this list with the seasons they're having? And I won't be biased: Brian Rafalski shouldn't be there either. All Stars shouldn't be picked for winning the Cup two years ago, name, reputation, or past performance. It should be *current* play that gets them on the list. Hopefully there won't be an ASG next year. :rolleyes:

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Look, the NHL is making it pretty obvious who they want the starters to be, so that when the "captains" pick their "teams" fans can be all "Whoa, that guy wasn't even on the ballot!"

Kesler didn't make it on either, nor did Chris Stewart. Why anyone is making the all-star game out to be anymore than it is is pretty mind-boggling.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Nor did Patrick (17 points, 17 games) Sharp. These All-Star ballots have all the relevance to the current season of sports games before the era of online updates.

Also, Khabibulin on the ballot? What, is flip-cup part of the skills competition this year?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From NHL.com:

In order to make the NHL All-Star Game even more groundbreaking than ever before, the NHL has extended an invitation to Yankees' shortstop Derek Jeter. Commissioner Gary Bettman hopes his presence will add a competitive balance that the current league lacks. In order to allow Jeter to fit into the 54-man roster, the Phoenix Coyotes will not send a player to Raleigh this year.

From NHL.com:

In order to make the NHL All-Star Game even more groundbreaking than ever before, the NHL has extended an invitation to Yankees' shortstop Derek Jeter. Commissioner Gary Bettman hopes his presence will add a competitive balance that the current league lacks. In order to allow Jeter to fit into the 54-man roster, the Phoenix Coyotes will not send a player to Raleigh this year.

What the?!?! This is stupid beyond belief!!!!

From NHL.com:

What the?!?! This is stupid beyond belief!!!!

Joke

-----

Your head

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Jarome Iginla is on the ballot just due to name notoriety and what he's done in the past. Dude right now doesn't even deserve to make the AJHL All Star Game.

Rene Bourque on the other hand. Deserves it!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Ducks defeat Dallas 4-2 to extend their win streak to 6 games. Their first 6-game win streak since Feb/March of 2008. This game was also the first win by more than one goal in the streak. Saku Koivu is finally hot as well, 5 goals in the last 5 games (one goal in each).

The Ducks are 7-1-1 at home, 4-1 vs the Pacific Division, 10-7-1 overall, one point behind the Kings for first in the conference.

They just keep pulling it out. They dominated the Stars for the better part of this game, it should have been a bigger score. But no matter the trouble, somehow this group just keeps on pulling out the wins. I'm definitely not gonna question it, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy it. This was exactly the strong start they finally needed to start off a season, and man, it's great.

Looking for 7-straight in Chicago on Sunday. GO DUCKS!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Ducks defeat Dallas 4-2 to extend their win streak to 6 games. Their first 6-game win streak since Feb/March of 2008. This game was also the first win by more than one goal in the streak. Saku Koivu is finally hot as well, 5 goals in the last 5 games (one goal in each).

The Ducks are 7-1-1 at home, 4-1 vs the Pacific Division, 10-7-1 overall, one point behind the Kings for first in the conference.

They just keep pulling it out. They dominated the Stars for the better part of this game, it should have been a bigger score. But no matter the trouble, somehow this group just keeps on pulling out the wins. I'm definitely not gonna question it, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy it. This was exactly the strong start they finally needed to start off a season, and man, it's great.

Looking for 7-straight in Chicago on Sunday. GO DUCKS!

After watching the Stars last night, I should've gone to Vegas and bet more money than I can comprehend on the Ducks winning. While last night's game against he Kings was physical, the Stars are an average team at best. They have no scoring, and have average at best goaltending. They aren't impressive at all. Chicago should be a better test of the Ducks as they have more offense. Then again, this is a Marc Crawford team, so figure he'll get the least out of the team.

I just took a look at the "All Star" ballot. What a joke. Can anybody tell me how guys like Marc-Andre Fluery and Nikolai Khabibulin are even on this list with the seasons they're having?

Since when are all-star ballots in any sport put together based on current season performance? I don't see anything shocking or surprising here.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Jarome Iginla is on the ballot just due to name notoriety and what he's done in the past. Dude right now doesn't even deserve to make the AJHL All Star Game.

Rene Bourque on the other hand. Deserves it!

I remember when he wasn't on it in 01/02 when he had the most the most points in the league.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived