2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Jarome Iginla is on the ballot just due to name notoriety and what he's done in the past. Dude right now doesn't even deserve to make the AJHL All Star Game.

Rene Bourque on the other hand. Deserves it!

I remember when he wasn't on it in 01/02 when he had the most the most points in the league.

That was a good year.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarome Iginla is on the ballot just due to name notoriety and what he's done in the past. Dude right now doesn't even deserve to make the AJHL All Star Game.

I remember when he wasn't on it in 01/02 when he had the most the most points in the league.

That was a good year.

Didn't they miss the playoffs that year?

I just don't understand the All-Star nominations. They are just completely random. If you're going to do it the way they are doing it, why not just put everyone one on the ballet and let the winners go from there. Heck, they could have the fans vote in the top 30 forwards, top 16 defensemen, and the top 6 goaltenders and then from there let the pick the captains and let the captains pick the teams. While I like the idea, the more I think about it, the more I realize from a marketing standpoint, it's horrible and from a casual fan interest it's horrible. How exactly do you market this to the viewers at home on tv? "Come to the All-Star Game hosted by the Carolina Hurricanes and see.... someone battle someone in bragging rights." This is horrible for a marketing standpoint and even the local professional wrestling circuit knows better than to be this oblivious.

That was a good year.

Didn't they miss the playoffs that year?

Of course they did. It was just Iggy's coming out party year.

I just don't understand the All-Star nominations. They are just completely random. If you're going to do it the way they are doing it, why not just put everyone one on the ballet and let the winners go from there. Heck, they could have the fans vote in the top 30 forwards, top 16 defensemen, and the top 6 goaltenders and then from there let the pick the captains and let the captains pick the teams. While I like the idea, the more I think about it, the more I realize from a marketing standpoint, it's horrible and from a casual fan interest it's horrible. How exactly do you market this to the viewers at home on tv? "Come to the All-Star Game hosted by the Carolina Hurricanes and see.... someone battle someone in bragging rights." This is horrible for a marketing standpoint and even the local professional wrestling circuit knows better than to be this oblivious.

How is this so horrible? They've already generated a ton of interest in the fact that they are doing this at all. When was the last time they mentioned the NHL all-star game on PTI and Sportscenter and all that, when the NHL rigged it so Rory Fitzpatrick wouldn't start the game for the Western Conference?

Why is this so difficult to market? "Crosby! Ovechkin! Stamkos! Toews! Kane! Lidstrom! Luongo! Miller! The NHL's biggest stars faceoff in Carolina!" No different from any other all-star game.

I say good for them for coming up with a gimmick to draw attention to the game without stooping to something as awful as making the result count for something like in baseball.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I just took a look at the "All Star" ballot. What a joke. Can anybody tell me how guys like Marc-Andre Fluery and Nikolai Khabibulin are even on this list with the seasons they're having?

Since when are all-star ballots in any sport put together based on current season performance? I don't see anything shocking or surprising here.

What's shocking and surprising is how excessively bad this year's Ignorant Popularity Contest All-Star Game ballot is.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Why is this so difficult to market? "Crosby! Ovechkin! Stamkos! Toews! Kane! Lidstrom! Luongo! Miller! The NHL's biggest stars faceoff in Carolina!" No different from any other all-star game.

:lol:

As part of the NHL Fan Faceoff panel, I get sent surveys from time to time with the NHL wanting my opinions on future happenings. The most recent survey was about highlight shows and call-in shows. One of the first questions asked was which networks I got in my house. The usual NHL suspects were there including VS, NHLN, TSN, CBC, NBC, etc. ESPN/ABC was also on the list and, curiously enough, at the top of the list was TNT. TNT only has NBA one night a week and if you wanted a sport that had drama, it's certainly the NHL come playoff time. At that same time, though, TNT has exclusive coverage of one conference semi-final and one conference final. So it would be interesting to see how they worked that in.

Also, on that same survey, was a list of NHL personalities and the question of whether they would make a good highlight show host or analyst and call-in show host or analyst.

Also, on that same survey, was a list of NHL personalities and the question of whether they would make a good highlight show host or analyst and call-in show host or analyst.

The next NHL personality to say something compelling and informing will be the first. Don Cherry is a xenophobic blowhard who dresses like somebody's fever dream of a 1920s homosexual, and Eddie Olczyk has fooled people into thinking he has a lot of analysis to share because he inexorably appears on every television and radio station that carries or has thought of carrying NHL games. This is the best we can do. No league has more people on television with nothing to say, and that they topped the NFL's cabal of meatheads is an unparalleled pseudo-achievement. I mean, at least "to win this football game you gotta run the football, pass the football, and stop the other team from running and passing the football" composes, however stunningly rudimentary, a set of relevant thoughts. The only insight I've gotten from a panel of hockey analysts is that both teams have to play with intensity for sixty minutes, and that hit by a Red Wing was obviously clean.

http://www.downgoesb...-game-ever.html

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The next NHL personality to say something compelling and informing will be the first. Don Cherry is a xenophobic blowhard who dresses like somebody's fever dream of a 1920s homosexual, and Eddie Olczyk has fooled people into thinking he has a lot of analysis to share because he inexorably appears on every television and radio station that carries or has thought of carrying NHL games. This is the best we can do. No league has more people on television with nothing to say, and that they topped the NFL's cabal of meatheads is an unparalleled pseudo-achievement. I mean, at least "to win this football game you gotta run the football, pass the football, and stop the other team from running and passing the football" composes, however stunningly rudimentary, a set of relevant thoughts. The only insight I've gotten from a panel of hockey analysts is that both teams have to play with intensity for sixty minutes, and that hit by a Red Wing was obviously clean.

http://www.downgoesb...-game-ever.html

Well what analyst over the last 50 years has actually said something well... that is unique? I mean think about it. We're watching sports that have been played for over 85 years in most cases, what exactly are we going to see that we haven't seen before? I watch the game to watch the game. Heck, I don't even listen to what the announcers are saying because 99% of the time it is irrelevant to what is actually going on. But if you want to talk about blow-hards who say nothing, have you ever watch ESPN's Baseball Tonight or their NFL halftime shows? Has Chris Carter said anything that anyone cares about, let alone Herm Edwards? They're not saying anything that a 3rd grader doesn't know.

The NBA on TNT does a terrific job with in-game and studio analysis, actually. There's been a little too much of Reggie Miller and his lisp for my liking in recent years, but Inside the NBA is still far and away the best show of its kind in any sport. Why can't the NHL have an equivalent? Well, we know why, because hockey players' vaunted personalities never come out when fellow fraternity members need to be criticized, but it sure would be nice.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For as good of analysis as TNT does, do they really ever say anything that anyone else hasn't trrbly said before? Actually, I don't watch that much between periods on Versus looking for their takes on hockey, I'm usually flipping channels seeing what's on the news as it's about 6 pm when I get home from work. I actually watch NHL networks coverage and highlight show which is very good and I'm very impressed by Kevin Weeks, and you gotta love Bobby Holik even though you can't understand half of what he's saying. :hockeysmiley:

Not the best of sources but maybe the Kings are finally putting together a deal to get Jarome Iginla. Link

Brayden Schenn is possibly part of the deal.

I'd first like to see how the Phoenix and Chicago games go and plus the 5 in 7 Night, Eastern Roadtrip. If we're in last place by the end of the month then I'd consider but still can't see Jarome leaving. I couldn't imagine the turmoil this City would be in.

Not the best of sources but maybe the Kings are finally putting together a deal to get Jarome Iginla. Link

From Bob McKenzie:

"I am told, and by more than one person who should know, LAK and CGY have not had a single discussion of any sort about Jarome Iginla."

1zgyd8w.jpg

From Bob McKenzie:

"I am told, and by more than one person who should know, LAK and CGY have not had a single discussion of any sort about Jarome Iginla."

Darren Dreger was saying the same thing. I knew there was nothing that probably will come of it but anytime the "Trade Iginla Wagon" fires up the Kings are always first in line.

Archived