2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, Ott's not as good as Kesler. He's certainly on my dickweed checking line. Maybe second line with, say, Alex Burrows?

I see the Giants euphoria's fadin' fast, huh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Back to the death of Pat Burns.

I actually just found out that he's the only Coach in the history of the NHL that's won 3 Jack Adams. It's really too bad that the HoF committee couldn't get him in well he was still with us.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm sorry, people here were ripping on I think it was STLfanatic for saying how much Niemi sucks, but he was dead on.

The era of the game-changing goaltender is over. More than ever, goaltending is a function of defense, and Niemi excelled in a system where he wasn't asked to do much behind the league's best defense. Of course he's going to blow with a blueline that consists of Dan Boyle and assorted crap. I'm not sure what you guys thought you were getting.

Thanks for the gentle reminder that Vancouver is currently paying $10M this season for a function of defense.

Since the cap hit is well below $10 m, do we really care? I've got more of an issue with a 4 million dollar d-man being scratched in favour of Andrew Alberts and Aaron Rome. Mind you, I'm not convinced that Andrew Alberts hasn't been replaced by a more talented pod-person clone this season. He doesn't actually look like the worst player in the history of the NHL lately. Which is remarkable given his performance last year, where he looked like the worst Canuck I've ever seen.

Corey Perry is an idiot. At the end of a 4-3 Jackets win, he sucker-punches Antoine Vermette as the clock expired.

But... 11-6-0. Wow.

Yeah, He might have even hurt his hand in that scrum. At least that's what I thought I heard the Ducks announcers say. It was a lot of frustration. I thought I saw some push or losing a stick or something, but I was pretty frustrated myself so I got up and walked around for a second, so I didn't clearly see what happened. It can definitely be frustrating outshooting a team 50-29 and still losing 4-3, and having 3 straight games of hot opposing goaltending.

And Perry can be an ass and usually I kinda like it and laugh (Ex: In today's game, Perry went into the crease to crash the net, kinda lost his balance and fell on Mason and made little to no effort to get up :lol: ). But it's not without his talent. He's tied for 8th in the NHL in goals with 10, 9th in points with 23, and 21st in assists with 13. He leads the Ducks in goals and points, and is 4th on the team in assists. He's an annoyance, but he's scoring, and he's on fire in the goals department over the last few games.

He's a guy that you love on your team, and everybody else in the league hates, along with the other suggestions of Ott and Kesler. Avery and Emery are different animals. Nobody likes them.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On the one hand, Avery is really all bark and no bite. He's really just a mouth. At the same time, he made fun of Dustin Brown's lisp when they were teammates. Not cool.

One of my favorite agitators is definitely Scott Hartnell because he actually signed that guy's "Fartsmell" jersey "to my biggest fan--Scott Fartsmell".

1zgyd8w.jpg

Corey Perry is an idiot. At the end of a 4-3 Jackets win, he sucker-punches Antoine Vermette as the clock expired.

But... 11-6-0. Wow.

Yeah, He might have even hurt his hand in that scrum. At least that's what I thought I heard the Ducks announcers say. It was a lot of frustration. I thought I saw some push or losing a stick or something, but I was pretty frustrated myself so I got up and walked around for a second, so I didn't clearly see what happened. It can definitely be frustrating outshooting a team 50-29 and still losing 4-3, and having 3 straight games of hot opposing goaltending.

And Perry can be an ass and usually I kinda like it and laugh (Ex: In today's game, Perry went into the crease to crash the net, kinda lost his balance and fell on Mason and made little to no effort to get up :lol: ). But it's not without his talent. He's tied for 8th in the NHL in goals with 10, 9th in points with 23, and 21st in assists with 13. He leads the Ducks in goals and points, and is 4th on the team in assists. He's an annoyance, but he's scoring, and he's on fire in the goals department over the last few games.

He's a guy that you love on your team, and everybody else in the league hates, along with the other suggestions of Ott and Kesler. Avery and Emery are different animals. Nobody likes them.

I'd be frustrated too. You guys have made Steve Mason look good twice. That's difficult to do. The things is, the Blue Jackets aren't completely horrible anymore. Losing to these guys shouldn't be the embarrassment it used to be.

PvO6ZWJ.png

But... 11-6-0. Wow.

I'd be frustrated too. You guys have made Steve Mason look good twice. That's difficult to do. The things is, the Blue Jackets aren't completely horrible anymore. Losing to these guys shouldn't be the embarrassment it used to be.

I don't watch the NHL very much, if at all these days, but wasn't Steve Mason supposed to be some future top notch goalie. Weren't people gushing over his greatness a few seasons ago or something?

I've heard several theories about Steve Mason. One is that after he won the Calder trophy he got cocky and fat and fell out of shape. That's the Micheal Peca theory. Another is that he was scouted more heavily and never learned to adjust. Another is that he hated Ken Hitchcock and the meltdowns on the ice were a result of pressure from Hitchcock off the ice. He got pulled a lot last season and at times you could physically see him melting down.

My theory is that it's somewhere in the middle. He existed his rookie year on pure adrenaline and motivation to be a starting goalie in the NHL. When he settled down and locked up the 1 spot he realized he didn't have to work as hard. Also, his rebound control is abysmal and the Blue Jackets don't have the personnel to take care of his garbage all the time or keep the opposition from picking up all those rebounds. This is why I think they play better and with more confidence when Matty Garon is in the game.

He's been better this year, but he's still had more than a few clunkers in this season. Personally, I would rather see Garon get more starts and play Steve "Mark Taylor of Home Improvement" Mason as the backup. Let him earn the starter's job. I think he's one of those players who is better when he's pushed.

I'll take 11-6-0 though and a winning west coast road trip. Those have been rare.

PvO6ZWJ.png

...and the Blue Jackets sweep California. This is fantastic. That's a franchise first. Other franchise first: first win in regulation in San Jose, best start in team history, 7-1 on the road.

also, Rick Nash had the natural hat trick. Garon had the shutout.

Awesome. Now, let's get back to playing games at a normal hour so I can reset my sleep schedule.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived