Redskins Gold Pants

kmw_29

Did the term "athletic gold" come about because yellow is typically associated with cowards ("what are ya, yellow?" or "you yellow belly!") so sports teams didn't want people referring to them by that color?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know.

Could be, or could be that "yellow" isn't exactly the right word to describe the color. It's more of an amber in most instances.

I think it's more likely that, as in the case of the Packers, they actually wanted to use metallic gold (Curly Lambeau borrowed the colors of Notre Dame, his alma mater) but the technology wasn't there.

The helmet stripes, sleeve stripes, and pants stripes do not need to be identical. This pre-occupation with stripe detail clouds people's view of perfectly fine uniform combinations...

I could not agree more. Why the stripe thing such a big deal to people is beyond me. If something looks good then it looks good. That should be the one and only measuring stick for a uniform.

BB52Big.jpg

Did the term "athletic gold" come about because yellow is typically associated with cowards ("what are ya, yellow?" or "you yellow belly!") so sports teams didn't want people referring to them by that color?

I assumed this to be the reason, or that yellow was seen as effeminate. While I find it amusing that we need a more "masculine" name for yellow, I'm not above using it myself.

I recently needed a new scrubby for the shower and yellow was the best choice of the colors they had (pink, baby blue, etc.). So my wife, ever sassy, says with a smirk, "Hey, saw your new scrubby. Love the Big Bird yellow." To which I replied, "That's athletic gold, not yellow."

She wasn't buying it. :D

She is getting used to my wonkiness about uniforms though. If the Colts come on, I can say, "Okay, what don't I like about those unis?" And she'll nail it: "The stripes don't go all the way around the shoulder."

That's (athletic) golden. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The helmet stripes, sleeve stripes, and pants stripes do not need to be identical. This pre-occupation with stripe detail clouds people's view of perfectly fine uniform combinations...

I could not agree more. Why the stripe thing such a big deal to people is beyond me. If something looks good then it looks good. That should be the one and only measuring stick for a uniform.

I think the problem with the gold pants look is that there's to much inconsistency. Not only is the striping pattern inconsistent, but so are the colours. The pants and socks use a different shade of gold and maroon/burgundy/whatever then the helmet and jerseys. If the colours are unified throughout the look then the striping inconsistency would be much easier to overlook.

And there's the rub. What looks good to you, may not look good to others. I like the gold pants (though, it is taking me time to adjust to them after so many years of seeing burgundy or white pants). But, I find all of the inconsistency distracting. And, I don't know the easy solution. I really like the Northwestern stripes on the sock. I would love if they incorporated those into the jersey sleeves. And, if they made the helmet stripe the same style as the pants, then I think that would look good. Then, you have two different stripe patterns, but they would work reasonably well together. At least much better than the 4 different patterns they have now. It just looks like they grabbed uniform elements from different generations and slapped them together instead of actually putting some thought into it.

It just looks like they grabbed uniform elements from different generations and slapped them together instead of actually putting some thought into it.

Not really, except for the jersey stripes, they're very close to the George Allen-era days. Having a gold facemask looks far better too.

PH2010092006011.jpg

kenhouston_crop_340x234.jpg

Wondering if we'll see this in Week 3:

hanburger-chris-1-wrs.jpg

Honestly, I'd prefer the white on burgundy, but I do LOVE the burgundy on gold.

87Redskins.png

I think the problem with the gold pants look is that there's to much inconsistency. Not only is the striping pattern inconsistent, but so are the colours. The pants and socks use a different shade of gold and maroon/burgundy/whatever then the helmet and jerseys. If the colours are unified throughout the look then the striping inconsistency would be much easier to overlook.

I agree with ALL these posts! :) I don't think stripes always have to be consistent throughout a set, but the combination of FOUR different striping patterns and inconsistent colors makes for a bit of a mess. The easiest solution, as several people have pointed out, would be for the 'Skins to just use their existing plain burgundy socks. Then you've got one less inconsistent striping pattern and one less color inconsistency (the dark stripes on the pants would still be a bit off, but that would be tolerable, IMHO). I think they could just go to a plain, one-stripe yellow/ahtletic gold/Goldie Hawn sleeve cuff, too, as the inside half of it already is -- which REALLY drives me crazy!

2010Redskins-Texans.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I thought it was because referees were too lazy to refer to teams by anything other than a one syllable color. Apparently "Gold ball" is much easier for them to say than "Yellow ball."

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I really like the Northwestern stripes on the sock.

Just for clarification. Those aren't exactly Northwestern Stripes. Probably derived from them, but Northwestern stripes are specifically this type of stripe:

Jersey2.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I thought it was because referees were too lazy to refer to teams by anything other than a one syllable color. Apparently "Gold ball" is much easier for them to say than "Yellow ball."

Call me crazy, but I always called it (and thought it was called) Gold because... THAT'S WHAT COLOR GOLD IS!

r189122_708710.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It has always bugged me when someone refers to a yellow color as "gold". For me "gold" has a certain hue associated with it. Notre Dame wears GOLD...The New Orleans Saints wear GOLD...UCLA wears gold. The Redskins have YELLOW in their color scheme. Its not the same. Trying to say otherwise is ridiculous. Stop the madness. Where do we draw the line? ^_^ If the Packers wear Green and Yellow...then the Redskins wear Burgundy and Yellow. Lets stop with this gold crap. I pretty sure the average person knows the difference.

If you're going to call (athletic) gold "yellow", you might as well start calling burgundy "red". Yes, gold is a shade of yellow, but it is not true yellow, just as is the case with burgundy... and navy, crimson, or any other derivative color.

On topic: I like the gold pants, but I'd rather they stay in DC this week.

spacer.png

The gold pants do look nice with the burgundy jerseys (would look better if the colours matched), but I'm not sure if they'll really work with the white jerseys. I say they go with the burgundy pants on the road.

It has always bugged me when someone refers to a yellow color as "gold". For me "gold" has a certain hue associated with it. Notre Dame wears GOLD...The New Orleans Saints wear GOLD...UCLA wears gold. The Redskins have YELLOW in their color scheme. Its not the same. Trying to say otherwise is ridiculous. Stop the madness. Where do we draw the line? ^_^ If the Packers wear Green and Yellow...then the Redskins wear Burgundy and Yellow. Lets stop with this gold crap. I pretty sure the average person knows the difference.

You know...I've been trying to explain this :censored: to Steelerheads for the longest time. They just refuse to hear it. And ain't no way in the HELL you gon' sit up there and try to tell me that color the Steelers bounce off their black is "gold". It ain't even athletic "gold". That :censored: is about as yellow as yellow can get.

Then they get mad when I tell them the REAL black and gold team plays down in New Orleans.

(And then they get all defensive and start bringing up the six Super Bowls and all that jazz...and then Mark Maddon will start hating on the Dome Patrol again, cuz that's what he does...and inadvertently someone will start talking about Rocky Bleier for no good reason and all that mumbo jumbo...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived