Redskins Gold Pants

kmw_29

It has always bugged me when someone refers to a yellow color as "gold". For me "gold" has a certain hue associated with it. Notre Dame wears GOLD...The New Orleans Saints wear GOLD...UCLA wears gold. The Redskins have YELLOW in their color scheme. Its not the same. Trying to say otherwise is ridiculous. Stop the madness. Where do we draw the line? ^_^ If the Packers wear Green and Yellow...then the Redskins wear Burgundy and Yellow. Lets stop with this gold crap. I pretty sure the average person knows the difference.

You know...I've been trying to explain this :censored: to Steelerheads for the longest time. They just refuse to hear it. And ain't no way in the HELL you gon' sit up there and try to tell me that color the Steelers bounce off their black is "gold". It ain't even athletic "gold". That :censored: is about as yellow as yellow can get.

Then they get mad when I tell them the REAL black and gold team plays down in New Orleans.

(And then they get all defensive and start bringing up the six Super Bowls and all that jazz...and then Mark Maddon will start hating on the Dome Patrol again, cuz that's what he does...and inadvertently someone will start talking about Rocky Bleier for no good reason and all that mumbo jumbo...)

for the uni nerd there are an infinite number of proprietary/exclusive colors amongst pro and college teams but to the average fan at a venue or watching on tv there are only a few major color groups since the average human eye cannot discern the subtle nuances in hues...allow me to translate for everyone:

color group: uni nerd/diehard fan color

bright red: scarlet

dark red: cardinal, crimson, garnet, brick, burgundy

maroon: maroon

royal blue: blue, dodger blue, cubs blue, mets blue, etc.

navy: midnight blue

baby blue: columbia, carolina blue, ucla blue

yellow: gold, athletic gold, maize, steelers gold

metallic gold: vegas gold, notre dame gold, colorado gold, 49er gold, etc.

gray

pewter: charcoal

metallic silver

green: kelly green

dark green: forest, hunter, emerald, midnight

orange: orange

dark orange: burnt orange, texas orange

I'm sure I missed a few so free to add.

there are a few more like the cowboys silver green that are just an anomaly but that almost proves my point since the casual fan really doesn't even understand that the color has evolved the way it has over 4 decades

this whole "battle red" nonsense has only been around for a couple decades or so when teams actually took the initiave to own the exact color specs and vendors actually had the production capability to manufacture any color based on the pantone system...before that it was basically uniform manufacturers and equipment managers trying to match things up as best they could with whatever textiles they could get their hands on.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The helmet stripes, sleeve stripes, and pants stripes do not need to be identical. This pre-occupation with stripe detail clouds people's view of perfectly fine uniform combinations...

I could not agree more. Why the stripe thing such a big deal to people is beyond me. If something looks good then it looks good. That should be the one and only measuring stick for a uniform.

i couldnt disagree more. design choices without good reason make a design irrelevant. im not a "stripe Nazi" either, but "looking good" is only a very small portion of great design

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i actually like the yellow pants. they wore these pants in the 70's-

111772.jpg

CCSLC'S BIGGEST TENNESSEE TITANS FAN!

Tennessee Titans (2-1) next game vs. Denver Broncos

Tennessee Volunteers(2-2) next game @ LSU Tigers(4-0)

Tampa Bay Storm 2010 AFL National Conference Champions

Whatever you are, be a good one-Abraham Lincoln

for the uni nerd there are an infinite number of proprietary/exclusive colors amongst pro and college teams but to the average fan at a venue or watching on tv there are only a few major color groups since the average human eye cannot discern the subtle nuances in hues...allow me to translate for everyone

Thanks for the translation. I think most of us "uni nerds" have been living in our parents' basements too long have haven't watched a sporting event with other real-live people for too long, causing us to forget that the average sports fan apparently never got past the 8-color box of Crayolas in elementary school...

So are asserting that the average human eye cannot discern subtle nuances in hues or do you have solid evidence? What makes you think that people on this board are above average when it comes to discerning hues? I know my color distinguishing ability is only average, but that doesn't keep me from pursing my interests in photography or design or noticing that Michigan's maize and Minnesota's gold aren't the same color.

(Here's a color IQ test for those interested: http://xritephoto.co...?action=coloriq)

Maybe I'm missing the tone of your post, but it seems like you are not in favor of teams developing their own unique shades and coming up with a proprietary name for that shade. If so, then perhaps you forget the point of these forums. If not, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Teal is darker than aqua. Aqua is more green than turquoise.

Isn't aqua (more green than blue) what the Dolphins use and teal (more blue than green) what the Jaguars use? Also, what do we consider the blue the Panthers use?

It has always bugged me when someone refers to a yellow color as "gold". For me "gold" has a certain hue associated with it.

The New Orleans Saints wear GOLD

The Redskins have YELLOW in their color scheme. Its not the same. Trying to say otherwise is ridiculous. Stop the madness.

You know...I've been trying to explain this :censored: to Steelerheads for the longest time. They just refuse to hear it. And ain't no way in the HELL you gon' sit up there and try to tell me that color the Steelers bounce off their black is "gold". It ain't even athletic "gold". That :censored: is about as yellow as yellow can get.

Then they get mad when I tell them the REAL black and gold team plays down in New Orleans.

Amen, brothers. A. freaking. Men.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I realize that we're getting a bit off-topic here, but here's a comparison of a few of the Blues and Cyans used in the NFL:

First - the solid/spot colors:

MiamiDolphinsAqua_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngJacksonvilleJaguarsTeal_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngPhiadelphiaEaglesGreen_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngDetroitLionsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngCarolinaPanthersBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

...vs. the fabric/textile colors:

MiamiDolphinsAqua_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngJacksonvilleJaguarsTeal_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngPhiadelphiaEaglesGreen_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngDetroitLionsBlue_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngCarolinaPanthersBlue_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

I have included the Lions' Honolulu Blue in here because it is such a funky shade of Blue. It does have some Yellow in it...I think it is more worthy of being in here than the Panthers do. The Panthers Blue is pretty much a Light Blue - in fact, it's the same exact shade of Blue that the Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers of the USFL used and called "Breaker Blue".

I think it's safe to say that - theoretically - "Teal" is a Blue-Green/Cyan with a bit more Blue in it, as opposed to an Aqua which has a bit more Green.

But the bottom line is that teams can call a color whatever the heck they want.

Let's go black and saffron!

That yellow does appear to have more orange in it, which I guess would qualify it colloquially as a "gold", and I realize that you have the official specs on things, but the yellow that the Packers and Chiefs use certainly appears to have less orange in it than the one that the Steelers use. Could certainly simply be an effect of the surrounding colors making it look different though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I realize that we're getting a bit off-topic here, but here's a comparison of a few of the Blues and Cyans used in the NFL:

First - the solid/spot colors:

MiamiDolphinsAqua_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngJacksonvilleJaguarsTeal_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngPhiadelphiaEaglesGreen_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngDetroitLionsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.pngCarolinaPanthersBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

...vs. the fabric/textile colors:

MiamiDolphinsAqua_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngJacksonvilleJaguarsTeal_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngPhiadelphiaEaglesGreen_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngDetroitLionsBlue_9999_TEX_SRGB.pngCarolinaPanthersBlue_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

I have included the Lions' Honolulu Blue in here because it is such a funky shade of Blue. It does have some Yellow in it...I think it is more worthy of being in here than the Panthers do. The Panthers Blue is pretty much a Light Blue - in fact, it's the same exact shade of Blue that the Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers of the USFL used and called "Breaker Blue".

I think it's safe to say that - theoretically - "Teal" is a Blue-Green/Cyan with a bit more Blue in it, as opposed to an Aqua which has a bit more Green.

But the bottom line is that teams can call a color whatever the heck they want.

Daphne? Diva Blue?? Definitely some interesting color names. I wonder how they got these names.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Let's go black and saffron!

That yellow does appear to have more orange in it, which I guess would qualify it colloquially as a "gold", and I realize that you have the official specs on things, but the yellow that the Packers and Chiefs use certainly appears to have less orange in it than the one that the Steelers use. Could certainly simply be an effect of the surrounding colors making it look different though.

Could be. I don't know how closely Reebok matches their actual fabrics with these color standards, but it's as close as we're gonna get right now.

Burgundy and Saffron doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

That's because it's actually this:

WashingtonRedskins_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

Tibetan Red, Saffron and Bright White, with Stretch Limo and Andorra used in the primary logo.

Daphne? Diva Blue?? Definitely some interesting color names. I wonder how they got these names.

As I've mentioned in the past, these color descriptions come from Pantone, Inc. For some reason, they've named all of their Textile colors. I highly doubt that NFL teams know about them.

The helmet stripes, sleeve stripes, and pants stripes do not need to be identical. This pre-occupation with stripe detail clouds people's view of perfectly fine uniform combinations...

I could not agree more. Why the stripe thing such a big deal to people is beyond me. If something looks good then it looks good. That should be the one and only measuring stick for a uniform.

i couldnt disagree more. design choices without good reason make a design irrelevant. im not a "stripe Nazi" either, but "looking good" is only a very small portion of great design

But we're talking about a football uniform here. It's primary purposes are 1. Identifying team 2. Identifying player (with a numeral) and 3. Looking good. Therefore, in this case, looking good is at least one third of great design, which is a pretty substantial portion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

But we're talking about a football uniform here. It's primary purposes are 1. Identifying team 2. Identifying player (with a numeral) and 3. Looking good. Therefore, in this case, looking good is at least one third of great design, which is a pretty substantial portion.

Are the Buffalo Bills aware of this? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Are the Buffalo Bills aware of this? :P

Only on throwback weekends. :)

Ok...in regards to the Gold/Athletic Gold/Yellow nonsense going on here:

PTX_14-1064_TCX_SRGB_Summary.png

THIS is the color that the Cardinals, Packers, Chiefs, Vikings, Steelers, Chargers and Redskins use.

Done. End of story.

:P

Is that the same color the Broncos used for their throwbacks?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived