Connecticut Whale? Really?

Brian in Boston

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the team collectively only ONE whale? Does that mean that one guy is like the fin and other guy is like the eyeball and someone else is the teeth? Really? Wait, maybe they assemble all Voltron-style, to create an unstoppable Whale Mecha!

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

People have been saying that Baldwin is saving the Whalers for when he gets the NHL back to Hartford. So I guess the Whalers really are dead. If he couldn't use the name Whalers, then why even change it. Also, I don't like them be called Connecticut anything. There is another team in CT, called the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

My guess is that Baldwin ran into several NHL-centered roadblocks while attempting to secure the rights to obtains the use of the "Whalers" name, so he went with this half-measure.

Here's the thing: If public records are to be believed, Baldwin already holds the trademark to the Hartford Whalers name.

The trademark for the Hartford Whalers name is currently listed as "DEAD" with the United States Patent & Trademark Office. The last registration of the name to run-out was cancelled by the USPTO on December 8, 2001. The last listed owner of said trademark was KTR Hockey Limited Partnership of Farmington Hills, Michigan - Peter Karmanos' outfit. No other "LIVE" trademark for Hartford Whalers is registered with the USPTO by any other entity - not the National Hockey League... not the State of Connecticut... not the Connecticut Development Authority... not the City of Hartford. Nobody.

However, the trademark for Hartford Whalers IS registered with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. On November 25, 2009, an amendment was registered with the CIPO asking that the name of the owner of said trademark be changed to...

HARTFORD WHALERS HOCKEY CLUB, A LIMITED PARTNERSHIP

THE GENERAL PARTNERS OF WHICH ARE HOWARD L. BALDWIN AND

HARTFORD ATTRACTIONS, INC.

Further, this trademark was renewed with the CIPO on May 12, 2010 and the address that is listed for the aforementioned registrant is...

One Civic Center Plaza

Hartford, Connecticut 06103

United States of America

To the best of my knowledge, the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement require that signatory nations - including the United States and Canada - recognize one another's trademarks.

All of this being the case, one would believe that Baldwin holds the trademark for the Hartford Whalers name in Canada and - at the very least - has the inside track on obtaining formal trademark protection for the name in the United States of America.

Which begs the question, who has been collecting fees/royalties for licensing the use of the Hartford Whalers identity on throwback souvenir merchandise for the past few years? After all, sales of souvenir Whalers gear has been on the upswing lately. Could Baldwin have been collecting said fees and cutting the National Hockey League in for a share in the hopes that such a gesture would make the NHL more amenable to signing-off on the return of major-pro ice hockey to Hartford? Speculation to be sure, but speculation based upon Baldwin's control of the Canadian trademark.

Nothing wrong with Whales, plural. Plenty wrong with Whale, singular.

I'm gonna start cheering for the Husker and the Ram.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

During a live, on-line chat this morning, Howard Baldwin engaged in the following exchanges regarding the Connecticut Whale's new logo and color scheme, as well as the availability of souvenir items.

Q. Howard, what is the date for unveiling the new logo?????

A. re: the date for the new logo, that should be happening very shortly. Some point next week.

Q. I want a Connecticut Whale jersey now. How long do I have to wait???

A. re: the Connecticut Whale jersey, the opening game is October 9th. Come to the game, you will not be disappointed.

Q. Howard are the primary colors for the CT Whale going to be Green, White & Blue?

A. Re: the colors, the blue will pay homage to the Wolf Pack and the green will pay homage to the whale.

Q. As far as the new logo goes are you planning on having that professionally designed or are you going to let the fans submit their own suggestions?

A. The design of the logo is complete.

why did they go with WHALE? why not Whales?

maks about as much sense as if the Houston Texans were to rename themselves the Texas Luv Ya Blue. Or the Washington Redskins were to rename themselves the D.C. Hog.

sure, they are trying to refer to what people refered to the team as, but its just stupid.

Hope the logos are good though

CCSLC'S BIGGEST TENNESSEE TITANS FAN!

Tennessee Titans (2-1) next game vs. Denver Broncos

Tennessee Volunteers(2-2) next game @ LSU Tigers(4-0)

Tampa Bay Storm 2010 AFL National Conference Champions

Whatever you are, be a good one-Abraham Lincoln

i dont believe that is their jersey, seeing as that is the old Whalers secondary logo, and reads as "Whalers".

I'm sure the colors will be similar, but i think that was just for their Whalers Fan Fest, so Pucky wasn't running around all nude...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Goddammit. Late to the party and missed an opportunity to bust out some mallrats quotes. As for the Whale, it's ridiculous because it's not even the same thing - it's replacing the hunter with the hunted, though I don't understand how their original identity of the hunter had mascots and imagery that strictly referenced the huntee, but whatev- wait... that kid is BACK on the escalator again!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe it's one of those double-meaning things, as in both the animal, and to "whale" on someone (as in to "attack" them).

Kind of how like the "Jazz" aren't after literal Jazz music, but rather on the style of play.

I don't necessarily believe that, it's just a thought.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The new hockey team in my hometown (Danbury, CT) is called the Danbury Whalers. Quite possibly the best minor league identity I've seen in years. Even better than the last minor league hockey team in the same town: Danbury Trashers. THAT teams logo was fantastic. This team's logo is even better. The secondary logo is fantastic. Dare I say it? ...it may even be better than the original Hartford logo. *covers head*

http://thedanburywhalers.com/

I like how the background of the banner is a picture of a Pittsburgh whiteout.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived