Connecticut Whale? Really?

Brian in Boston

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, good Lord. Connecticut FAIL.

What part of that am I supposed to like, exactly? The tail from the Whalers' real logo hideously tacked onto that Hanna-Barbera reject? The stock font "C"? The suspicious white substance spurting forth from the blowhole? The fact that none of the elements match up at all to form a cohesive logo?

Also, anyone want to take bets on which click-and-fill 2006 Edge template they'll simply copy for the uniforms? My money's on the Oilers.

If this is any indication as how the franchise will be run, we won't have to worry about any concerted efforts to bring the NHL back to Hartford. Baldwin's gonna salt the earth there for NHL and AHL hockey if his product all ends up on this level.

Kinger, do you think you could truck on over to Hartford this weekend, post your Connecticut Whalers concepts for all to see, and then set Baldwin's office on fire? Much oblige.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Not sure if that Whale logo is something.. would have been nice if it had been one of the C and whale tail logos I saw somewhere before. but oh well... think that logo is a bit odd and lame somehow...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

According to the American Hockey League website...

"The logo was designed by Baldwin, the Whale marketing team and designer Erik Carlson."

Well, that would explain the quality of the logo, wouldn't it? An owner with no formal graphic design training leads a marketing team - that I'd be willing to bet falls into the same category - in designing a pro sports franchise's logo. Oh, and the designer that is hired by the team? He receives third-billing. I mean, it would appear that Erik Carlson has precious little pro sports design experience, but is that reason enough to relegate him to the bottom of the credit list?

Will they never learn?

The more I look at this amidst the rest of the AHL pack, the less I mind it. It's only a travesty because the Hartford Whalers had one of the best logos of all time. "Connecticut Whale" is a dumb name, and it's not a perfect logo, but I'll take it over the Milwaukee Admirals NEVER SAY DIE, Abbotsford Heat, Rockford IceHogs, Texas Stars, and others.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The more I look at this amidst the rest of the AHL pack, the less I mind it.

You see, that's where we differ. Of the AHL's primary team logos, I'd say that that are only five, maybe six that are clearly worse than the Connecticut Whale's: Albany, Chicago, Peoria, Philadelphia and Syracuse... maybe Springfield.

At least fifteen are superior to the Whale mark in execution alone... and I'll include Milwaukee and Rockford in those. The logos for the Admirals and Ice Hogs may push "kitschy" and "cartoon-like" to the extreme, but they still look as though they were rendered by someone with training in the realm of graphic design. The Whale's logo looks like what it is: a design-by-committee hack-job created by a meddlesome team owner, his front-office "yes-men" and a hired-hand who dabbles in graphic design.

Yeah, you're right, that's what it is, obvious hackjob by committee, but I think most of the (totally justified) criticism comes from the context of the logo. In and of itself, it would just be a sloppily rendered minor league identity for a curiously named team. Bearing in mind that this is being presented as Basically The Hartford Whalers Except Not Quite The Hartford Whalers to a community that gives the old HW whale-tail its due as one of the all-time greats (and generally venerates all things concerning the Four Fallen Comrades of the '90s NHL), it's a complete affront to all we hold dear.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The more I look at this amidst the rest of the AHL pack, the less I mind it.

You see, that's where we differ. Of the AHL's primary team logos, I'd say that that are only five, maybe six that are clearly worse than the Connecticut Whale's: Albany, Chicago, Peoria, Philadelphia and Syracuse... maybe Springfield.

At least fifteen are superior to the Whale mark in execution alone... and I'll include Milwaukee and Rockford in those. The logos for the Admirals and Ice Hogs may push "kitschy" and "cartoon-like" to the extreme, but they still look as though they were rendered by someone with training in the realm of graphic design. The Whale's logo looks like what it is: a design-by-committee hack-job created by a meddlesome team owner, his front-office "yes-men" and a hired-hand who dabbles in graphic design.

Hey!

/OK, so he has the Hapsburg chin, a triangle mouth clamping down on a puck, and forced perspective.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived