Wizards returning to R/W/B in 2011-12(?)

keynote

And neither will changing the name back to Bullets. It was a bad name then, it would be a bad name now. The old identity completely sucked ass anyway. Abe Pollin is dead and gone, so Ted Leonsis should just go ahead and rebrand completely. New name, new colors, all of it. Just don't screw up the logo like the Caps (though that "Weagle" is hot).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope Ernie Grunfield regrets the future color change the current ones PERFECTLY defined a Wizard (as one user said here earlier).

Just wondering. How is this true, exactly? What about pale blue, bronze, and black says "wizard"?

Well it's actually slate blue, GOLD, and black (not trying to be a smartass but this is a sportslogos site). But those colors certainly seem more "magical" than red white and blue to me. I mean when I picture a "Wizard" (which isn't very often), I imagine a dark blue or black robe with gold trim. But that's just me.

Since Wizards aren't things we see in everyday life, it's probably too subjective of a point to argue.

Again, I don't see how the Wizards' colours are more "magical" then any other colour scheme. In fact at least one iconic image of a wizard supports a red, white, and blue colour scheme. When I think of a generic wizard I think purple and gold, to be honest. If we look to pop culture we have grey and white from Lord of the Rings and the various colours of Hogwarts from Harry Potter.

I think the reason so many people here assume that slate blue, gold, and black is perfect for a team named the Wizards is only because the Wizards have used that colour scheme for so long. Imagine they never switched from Bullets and were still a red, white, and blue team. Would blue, gold, and black seem like the obvious colour choice for a team named the Wizards? I would say no.

Well, I know I personally think of a blue robe when I think about a wizard. I guess most other people do too, and thats why the Wizard's current color scheme "makes sense". I forgot about Mickey in Fantasia, but I guess that isn't the stereotypical wizard that I think of right away in my head.

Like everyone one else, my first impression of this news is that it will be horrible. However we may want to actually see the proposed designs before we crucify them. If they simply make the Wizard patriotic, that would indeed be an awful concept. But they could use different shades of blue and red (not the exact same as the US Flag), and it may work. As I said, the Fantasia wizard wears red, white, and blue without looking odd. The Wizards may be able to use the colors without a patriotic theme. My first impression though is to just keep the current color scheme and design a new logo (and redesign the current gold alt, I hate the one they have now).

And neither will changing the name back to Bullets. It was a bad name then, it would be a bad name now. The old identity completely sucked ass anyway. Abe Pollin is dead and gone, so Ted Leonsis should just go ahead and rebrand completely. New name, new colors, all of it. Just don't screw up the logo like the Caps (though that "Weagle" is hot).

Bullets at least has a title to its name, though. If at all possible I'd like for teams to stick with names/looks/identities from their best years. It creates a sort of timelessness to the whole franchise's legacy.

Though practically Bullets isn't going to come back, so I'm all for a complete re-do.

I love the whole Wizards identity, always have, the colors were great with bronze and still are with gold, the idea of changing the name again is insane to me, way to jerk around a fan base "I'm a Bullets fan, no I'm a Wizards fan, no I'm a Washington Presidents fan.....oh God I don't know who I'm a fan of..."

I'm sure if they change the name the players will ask to be called the presidents. *rolls eyes*

Screw a recolor/rebrand, I'll admit the photoshopped red and blue Wizards logo looked better than I expected but it's still a stupid color scheme for a team called the Wizards. Personally I like the logo but it could maybe use a little update, other than that keep things the same.

Hope Ernie Grunfield regrets the future color change the current ones PERFECTLY defined a Wizard (as one user said here earlier).

Just wondering. How is this true, exactly? What about pale blue, bronze, and black says "wizard"?

Well it's actually slate blue, GOLD, and black (not trying to be a smartass but this is a sportslogos site). But those colors certainly seem more "magical" than red white and blue to me. I mean when I picture a "Wizard" (which isn't very often), I imagine a dark blue or black robe with gold trim. But that's just me.

Since Wizards aren't things we see in everyday life, it's probably too subjective of a point to argue.

Again, I don't see how the Wizards' colours are more "magical" then any other colour scheme. In fact at least one iconic image of a wizard supports a red, white, and blue colour scheme. When I think of a generic wizard I think purple and gold, to be honest. If we look to pop culture we have grey and white from Lord of the Rings and the various colours of Hogwarts from Harry Potter.

I think the reason so many people here assume that slate blue, gold, and black is perfect for a team named the Wizards is only because the Wizards have used that colour scheme for so long. Imagine they never switched from Bullets and were still a red, white, and blue team. Would blue, gold, and black seem like the obvious colour choice for a team named the Wizards? I would say no.

Well, I know I personally think of a blue robe when I think about a wizard. I guess most other people do too, and thats why the Wizard's current color scheme "makes sense". I forgot about Mickey in Fantasia, but I guess that isn't the stereotypical wizard that I think of right away in my head.

Like everyone one else, my first impression of this news is that it will be horrible. However we may want to actually see the proposed designs before we crucify them. If they simply make the Wizard patriotic, that would indeed be an awful concept. But they could use different shades of blue and red (not the exact same as the US Flag), and it may work. As I said, the Fantasia wizard wears red, white, and blue without looking odd. The Wizards may be able to use the colors without a patriotic theme. My first impression though is to just keep the current color scheme and design a new logo (and redesign the current gold alt, I hate the one they have now).

For the record (and much to my dismay), the Wizards' gold alternate jersey was canned prior to the start of last season.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

bad move...the r, w, & b would only work if they returned to being the Bullets...which prob wont happen.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

If the Wizards do indeed return to red, white and blue, what color should the seats at the Verizon Center be?

It would not shock me to see the seats change to red.

Didn't the seats in the Q change after the new ownership took over? I distinctly remember the seats being blue and then there were new seats to match the "wine" color.

Make the seats an alternating red and blue, white would be cool but it would show people how much grime was on the butt of the last person to sit on it.

On a side note I find it offensive they'd wash away the Jordan era like that by changing the team's name, sure he wasn't in his prime by any means but it was still an honor to have him in uniform.

Make the seats an alternating red and blue, white would be cool but it would show people how much grime was on the butt of the last person to sit on it.

On a side note I find it offensive they'd wash away the Jordan era like that by changing the team's name, sure he wasn't in his prime by any means but it was still an honor to have him in uniform.

Jordan NEVER played for Washington. That was just some guy who looked like him.

Mookie?!

mookie-blaylock-totally-looks-like-michael-jordan.jpg

Mookie?!

mookie-blaylock-totally-looks-like-michael-jordan.jpg

All black guys look alike. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Apparently, Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld just announced that the team will be returning to red/white/blue color scheme in 2011-12 during his press conference today. I'll post a link to the conference when they put it up on the Wizards' website.

Well, they're halfway there...to correcting a massive mistake.

87Redskins.png

I wish there was some name that would be similar but not as politically incorrect as Bullets, and then see the team go back to their Bullets uniforms substituting the the name on the chest.

- "Washington" is simply too long

- "DC" is simply too short

- "Tullips" wrong but has the double "L"

- "District" ?

- "Beltway" ?

Archived