Wizards returning to R/W/B in 2011-12(?)

keynote

They argued the name 'Bullets' promotes gang violence. I'd argue the name 'Wizards' promotes witchcraft.

I get this, and I understand that sometimes, you need to apply PC. In this case, however, it's going too far. I wish George Carlin commented on it. What self-respecting thug would say, "Well, since the team's named the Bullets, I'm gonna go shoot a ho"? It's ridiculous. I have no problem with Bullets coming back, especially now that they're going back to R/W/B.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to read into here...the Wizards' sister franchise, the WNBA's Washington Mystics, just dropped their Wizards color scheme for red, white & blue:

Mystics G/F Marissa Coleman joined Lacey on stage to unveil the colors and brand new logo. Mystics COO Greg Bibb, who also addressed the audience, stated that “We are pleased to introduce the new look of the Washington Mystics. We feel the new color pallet provides an attractive refresh to our identity while aligning the team with the Monumental Sports & Entertainment brand.”

The new-look continues to promote the increased use of red throughout the Verizon Center and is part of Ted Leonsis’ 101 signs of visible change. These color changes can be seen everywhere from the parking garage to the red painted steps of each section.

OLD:

cache_latl112_94cbf83b2213bd6502b48d3eff3c9da3.jpg

NEW:

mystics_logo_300.gif

100% agree with the feedback here so far. What amazes me is that the vast majority of Wizards fans seem to support this color change. Their current color scheme is original, fits their "identity", (in my humble opinion) looks great, and doesn't look dated. I think the jerseys themselves could use some tweaking (like the wordmark, for example - kind of 90's) and maybe the panel-down-only-one-side (another sort of 90s thing), but I think they have one of the coolest color schemes in the league. Now we are going to have the close-to-each-other Sixers, Nets, and Wizards all looking like clones of each other again.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Their current color scheme and name are both earily similar to the Magic, who had them first. It'd be one thing if they were something common like types of bird or something, but something "novelty" like Magic and Wizards? You need something to differentiate the two a little better.

Their current color scheme and name are both earily similar to the Magic, who had them first. It'd be one thing if they were something common like types of bird or something, but something "novelty" like Magic and Wizards? You need something to differentiate the two a little better.

The Wizards wear gold and the Magic wear silver, which makes them pretty distinct. It's a subtle difference but if you watch them play, it's good enough. I think that's a bigger difference than two teams wearing red white and blue.

And aside from that, if this Mystics logo is any indication, then the Wizards might be adding a gray or silver to their logo, too. So much for uniqueness.

The Wizards wear gold and the Magic wear silver, which makes them pretty distinct. It's a subtle difference but if you watch them play, it's good enough. I think that's a bigger difference than two teams wearing red white and blue.

And aside from that, if this Mystics logo is any indication, then the Wizards might be adding a gray or silver to their logo, too. So much for uniqueness.

That gray on the Mystics logo looks a lot like the blue/gray color the Nationals away jerseys were when they first came to DC.

That gray on the Mystics logo looks a lot like the blue/gray color the Nationals away jerseys were when they first came to DC.

You mean the "standard" gray color of baseball away jerseys? I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I don't recall the Nationals ever having any type of gray or blue-gray in their scheme or uniforms, other than their obvious gray road jerseys (like every other baseball team... err except maybe San Diego).

Something to read into here...the Wizards' sister franchise, the WNBA's Washington Mystics, just dropped their Wizards color scheme for red, white & blue:

Mystics G/F Marissa Coleman joined Lacey on stage to unveil the colors and brand new logo. Mystics COO Greg Bibb, who also addressed the audience, stated that We are pleased to introduce the new look of the Washington Mystics. We feel the new color pallet provides an attractive refresh to our identity while aligning the team with the Monumental Sports & Entertainment brand.

The new-look continues to promote the increased use of red throughout the Verizon Center and is part of Ted Leonsis 101 signs of visible change. These color changes can be seen everywhere from the parking garage to the red painted steps of each section.

OLD:

cache_latl112_94cbf83b2213bd6502b48d3eff3c9da3.jpg

NEW:

mystics_logo_300.gif

A [mod redacted] downgrade. Uugh. Red, blue, and a mystic never make sense.

A [mod redacted]-made downgrade. Uugh. Red, blue, and a mystic never make sense.

What do dis word mean?

Certainly he meant badly-made. You know, since the 'b' is close to the 'f' and the 'd' is close to the 'g' on a standard keyboard. :rolleyes:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

It all comes from Ted's desire to have similarity between his teams -- now that he owns both. He's adding as much red to the interior of the Verizon Center as he can, to offset 18,000+ periwinkle seats that were made that color because it's Irene Pollin's favorite.

But even I have to admit that the blue/black/bronze (more like gold now) fits the Wizards/Mystics better. The Capitals were right in switching back to R/W/B though.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I appreciate the choice of navy over royal (the original blue used by the Bullets, if memory serves), but I'm disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to go with a darker red/crimson. If/when the Wizards follow suit, they'll have identical color schemes to the Hawks - a team in their own division. Sure, the Sixers and Pistons have the red/royal blue combo, but they're not division "rivals" the way the Hawks are. Adopting a darker red would've provided at least some level of contrast.

After reading through this thread and the news gathered thus far, I have concluded there is no way this ends well at all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived