Two questions about font use

santoleri3

There is a kind of iconic Beatles t-shirt that simply has the band members' first names in white on a field of black. Can anyone identify the font in that picture? I believe it is plain old Arial, but I'm not 100% positive.

Also, would using different names in the same font on a similar black field be considered copyright infringement?

I'm asking because I was going to give my wife a t-shirt with our kids' names on it, kind of a riff on the shirt I'm describing. Before I get started, I figured I'd seek out an opinion here.

Thanks,

D

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

Helvetica.

And no. I've seen it done many, many, many, many times. Characters from The Wire, other bands, even ...

bustedtees.b16cb39e0dd62a08cb6ae1e43be92417.gif

I like the way you do that right thurr (right thurr) / Swish your hips when you walk, let down your hurr (down your hurr)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

Helvetica.

And no. I've seen it done many, many, many, many times. Characters from The Wire, other bands, even ...

bustedtees.b16cb39e0dd62a08cb6ae1e43be92417.gif

I like the way you do that right thurr (right thurr) / Swish your hips when you walk, let down your hurr (down your hurr)

Okay, thanks for the feedback!

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

No. It's a parody, which is almost always protected. And if you're just giving your wife a shirt, that's just a personal project and wouldn't be bound by such laws anyway.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived