New York City changing its street signs

Shmee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it's not costing that much more money in the long run. Sure, it sounds like a terrible idea when someone throws out $27 million in an article, but it's not like they're writing a check for $27,000,000 and getting a bunch of signs in the mail. The current signs need to be replaced anyway. They're replacing them over the next few years, which is when most of them were due to be replaced to begin with. It's not really a difficult concept. They'd be spending the money anyway replacing the current signs that have the old font with new signs that have the old font. The only difference is they're replacing the current signs that have the old font with new signs that have the new font. There's very little extra money being spent here.

I hope you have better luck than I with the whole "injecting a bit of sanity into a perfectly loony rant" thing.

Okay, it's about street signs, but the responsible government element is intertwined because looking at the old and new side-by-side, my first thought is, what was wrong with the old signs? They were certainly quite legible and I'd challenge DOT or anyone else to show one letter from a dissatisifed driver saying, "Hey, I can't read those big green signs, can you please develop something better?" Anyone here, point out one significant advantage of the new vs. the old. One.

highway-fonts.jpg

It makes offramps move up an entire mile.

EDIT: Oh wait Mac got it.

I've been something of a streets and maps dork since I was about two years old, and I've never felt that Interstate was anything but eminently legible. It's really quite a font. I'll be sad to see it go. I'm not impressed with this Clearview. It's the Arial to Interstate's Helvetica.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the new signs. Also off to NYC on saturday can anyone recommend must see places?

Perry Ave, to see the new signs!

This made me laugh a lot.

They've been putting up new Clearview signs by me here in the burbs. So far, they've only been replacing the ones that looked beat up--my street still is in the old all-caps style even though it has the wrong spelling. Not sure how much more legible the new ones are, but I like them more than the old ones.

Archived