New York Cosmos unveil Umbro jerseys

Gothamite

I don't think it has anything to do with the galaxy - the name is plural, ˈkäz-mos not ˈkäz-məs. Derivative of "Cosmopolitans", not Carl Sagan.

Most likely a design element - the rotation and curve of a soccer ball on its way to the net?

It's always reminded me more than a little of this:

kleinman_gunbarrel.jpg

Objective A: Destroy control console

Objective B: Settle the score with Trevelyan

Objective C: Save Natalya... repeatedly

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be, but remember that Los Angeles already has two teams - Herbalife and Chivas Regal.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Doesn't NYC already have Red Bull in the MLS? This would be a second team, right?

Don't let the name fool you - Red Bull hasn't been terribly interested in the city. They're happy living in the suburbs, trading on our name but never actually reaching out to the local soccer community.

The Cosmos have done more in the last two months to develo, nurture and grow a soccer culture in New York than the MetroStars/Red Bulls have done in their entire existence.

5041970840_e87f389c0b_o.jpg

STUPID!!!

STUPID!!

UGLY BORING MERCH FOR AN IMAGINARY TEAM?!?!

JUST MORE PROOF NEW YORK IS FULL OF MONEY GRUBBING HORSES :mad::mad::blink::evil::puke:

The collar looks like a thong :woot:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Hey Fish:

It just shows me you know absolutely nothing about the game or the team.

First off, it was Pepe Pinton, a nobody who wound up with the name. Having worked with both Pele and Dr. Julio Mazzei at Time Warner, it was Mazzei who steared the name to Pinton after the 20th Anniversary game in 1991. I should know. I worked on setting the game up and selling tickets.

Secondly, because of the Cosmos, I played the game. I used to bug my father to let me see the team play at Hofstra with the likes of Randy Horton against teams like the St. Louis Stars. I went to see games at Randall's Island against the likes of Baltimore, Miami and Vancouver. I followed them to Yankee Stadium and finally to the Meadowlands. I still have my Cosmos jersey from Gerry Cosby's in New York.

The Cosmos mean something to me and to the many fans who are now soccer parents. The Red Bull could give a rat's ass about NYC. If they did, they'd be scouring the streets of Corona all the way to Woodside for talent. From 111th Street to 60th Street is the most densely packed area of non-native Americans you've ever seen. Besides the foods being among the best ethnic eats in the States, we have many countries represented along Roosevelt Avenue - Argentina, Mexico, Honduras, Ecuador, Panama, Paraguay, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Phillipines, Malaysia, Ireland. Go further towards the City and you hit heavily Greek, Brazilian and Arabic communities in Astoria. On the other side of Citifield in Flushing, where the City built a huge sports complex, soccer is played there on three fields almost 24/7. Flushing is heavily Chinese and down the road towards Bayside, Korean. Now, having said all that, why aren't the Red Bulls scouting in this melting pot or even courting fans? Because they could care less.

What we are hoping is that the land around Citifield, which is now home to run dowm auto salavage joints (and where from time to time crime dramas like CSI New York are filmed) is torn down and a soccer stadium for the Cosmos, yes our Cosmos be built.

And Buffalo, take your stupid f'ing opinions and stick them where the sun doesn't shine. No one cares about your dislike for our city. What's the matter, some working girl jacked you out of a Benjie?

• 1 month later...

Okay. Back on topic, the Cosmos held an interesting penalty-shot contest in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, which they call "the home for soccer in the city."

Hmm...

According to the Cosmos, the team is in talks with [Major League Soccer] about a piece of land in Queens.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5703157/rebirth-new-york-cosmos

Everything I've seen so far from the new Cosmos has given me confidence that they know what they're doing - targeting Queens (and Flushing in particular) furthers that feeling.

Back to the unis, I really, really hope the Cosmos-to-MLS thing happens, even if means they have drop these nice kits for whatever template Adidas is trotting out in 2016.

I don't think they've made any secret about their desire to build in Queens. Just like they've been very open about wanting to be the 20th MLS club.

And good for them. In just a couple of weeks, the Cosmos have already done more for the city's soccer culture than the MetroStars/Red Bulls have in fifteen years, largely by acknowledging that it even exists and going where it is.

Ah, yes... the supposed resurrection of the "Cosmos brand" in Major League Soccer.

Paul Kemsley. A man who has defaulted on numerous loans, been implicated in shady financial transactions and hauled into bankruptcy court within the past year, yet claims to have "financing lined up" for construction of a soccer-specific stadium to house the reborn Cosmos.

Terry Byrne. A former kit man, masseur and physiotherapist who jock-sniffed his way up the career ladder to a position as Watford's Director of Football, before becoming David Beckham's personal ball-washer - excuse me, personal manager.

Giorgio Chinaglia. Bat- :censored: crazy "international soccer ambassador".

Yeah... that's the troika that's going to successfully run a Major League Soccer franchise in the City of New York.

rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but it is going to take more than buying the rights to the Cosmos' name and logo from Pepe Pinton, throwing Pelé a 70th birthday party at Planet Hollywood and tacking a New York Cosmos target tarp up in a Corona Park soccer goal to convince me that these are the guys capable of resurrecting the Cosmos as part of Major League Soccer.

Ah, yes... the supposed resurrection of the "Cosmos brand" in Major League Soccer.

Paul Kemsley. A man who has defaulted on numerous loans, been implicated in shady financial transactions and hauled into bankruptcy court within the past year, yet claims to have "financing lined up" for construction of a soccer-specific stadium to house the reborn Cosmos.

Terry Byrne. A former kit man, masseur and physiotherapist who jock-sniffed his way up the career ladder to a position as Watford's Director of Football, before becoming David Beckham's personal ball-washer - excuse me, personal manager.

Giorgio Chinaglia. Bat- :censored: crazy "international soccer ambassador".

Yeah... that's the troika that's going to successfully run a Major League Soccer franchise in the City of New York.

rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but it is going to take more than buying the rights to the Cosmos' name and logo from Pepe Pinton, throwing Pelé a 70th birthday party at Planet Hollywood and tacking a New York Cosmos target tarp up in a Corona Park soccer goal to convince me that these are the guys capable of resurrecting the Cosmos as part of Major League Soccer.

I concur.

Furthermore, why team with Umbro when you know the MLS is Addidas. Kind of backward thinking isn't it? Wouldn't you do everything you could to make it look like you were embracing the MLS. Would that not include partnering with one of their sponsors?

This whole thing has smelled like a Nostalgia-driven dream, rather than an actual bid.

This is on par with AC St. Louis's bid, a lot of hope, not a lot of substance.

pele is a legend....that is all...haha but seriously if it weren't for the whoring of a brand like the ny red bulls...new york might actually have a cool mls franchise...

i do think red bull as a brand is cool but not for the name of a whole team (just my opinion)

071022_Boston_sports_logos.jpg

Boston you're my home!

Problem with Red Bulls isn't the name or corporate tie-in (MetroStars was a corporate tie-in as well).

It's that they were never interested in NYC. As much as I have qualms about some of the people involved, the Cosmos are going about this exactly the right way.

The Cosmos really do mean something to the City and soccer in the USA as a whole. I'd download Once In A Lifetime . Its the the entire story of the Cosmos franchise. Great stuff. Many kids like me grew to be fans and play the sport. How about Eskandarian's kid playing in the MLS? Was that not a first?

Before the Cosmos, all that existed for US soccer was Kyle Rote Jr. and maybe a few Americans like Bob Rigby. Then the osmos hit and then Ricky Davis became a Cosmo and a starter. Pretty soon, a lot of kids were playing.

My hope is that at some point, we get good, quality ownership (I'd love to see Time Warner involved again), and the Cosmos become part of our City again.

By the way, the park where the Cosoms have held clinics is magnificient. Soccer is played from dawn till dusk there and besides developing talent, it keeps kids off the streets.

As the old theme song said "Cosmos, Cosmos, Come On In"

That Cosmos kit is pure class. I for one really like the direction that Umbro as a brand have been heading over the last couple years. Their kits are miles ahead of anything Adidas has put out recently. The blog they've put together about the making of last year's England kit was really cool.

devilray2k1

Posted Today, 13:37

if they join MLS isn't the shirt gonna get filled with ad space anyways?!?

The Manchester City kits have sponsors and those kits still maintain a simple, classic look.

mancity_0910-home.jpg

manchester-city-away-2010-11.jpg

ManCityAway0910copyofficial%281%29.png

That being said, I can't see the MLS allowing their players wear anything other than Adidas kits, what with their contract and all.

True enough - the Cosmos will wear Adidas when they get to MLS, so long as that contract lasts. It's possible that Adidas could create a Cosmos kit half as classy as this Umbro one, but hardly likely (please note which outfit manufacturers those excellent Man City shirts).

But until then, the organization will be fielding youth teams in their Academies, which will presumably wear this Umbro shirt.

The adidas deal with the mls was recently extended. I want to say until 2015, but I am not certain. The cosmos should be added in 2013 or 2014, so this jersey is basically useless. Those of you praising it's simplicity have to remember that a jersey is not only a practical representation of the team colors, but is also a billboard for the team's sponsor. Should, say, FedEx want to sponsor the Cosmos, the jersey is no longer simple.

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

The adidas deal with the mls was recently extended. I want to say until 2015, but I am not certain. The cosmos should be added in 2013 or 2014, so this jersey is basically useless. Those of you praising it's simplicity have to remember that a jersey is not only a practical representation of the team colors, but is also a billboard for the team's sponsor. Should, say, FedEx want to sponsor the Cosmos, the jersey is no longer simple.

Useless? The youth teams should wear t-shirts, I suppose?

Archived