WHEN Nike Takes Over the NFL...

mbannon92

not a fan of the Falcons pants design...but that sleeve stripe is amazing!!!!

+1

That jersey is exactly what they should be wearing IMO. I would execute the pants in the same way, with the larger end of the "wing" (the one that's on the back of the jersey) towards the bottom of the pants.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been saying for years that if the manufacturer logo must be on the jerseys, it should be above the NOB. I realize that Nike would never go for this, as long hair would cover it up a lot, but there's got to be a way to get it off the sleeve so it doesn't nearly touch team sleeve logos. I'd almost rather there be a single swoosh on the chest rather than one on each sleeve. Also, do we know for sure that Nike didn't get chest placement worked into the deal?

Sorry to go off topic from the concepts.

I would be very confident in saying that the NFL wouldn't give in and let Nike put its logo on the same visual plane as the NFL shield (the front), and at the same level (left collarbone, even with the tip of the collar). Especially when one of the other bidders proposed an unbranded product, taking the manufacturer's logo off the uniform completely. That would sure provide a good amount of leverage, being able to say, "Your proposal looks great, Mr. Knight, but this chest logo can't happen. One of your competitors offered to take their logo off the on-field garments completely, and we're going to take that deal if you insist the swoosh has to be on the chest."

Again, I could be wrong (I've been there before, and I'll go there again more than a few times in my life), but I'd be shocked if the Nike logo ends up on the chest. If there's one thing the NFL cares about most within it's own brand, it's the prominence and value of that shield.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I would be very confident in saying that the NFL wouldn't give in and let Nike put its logo on the same visual plane as the NFL shield (the front), and at the same level (left collarbone, even with the tip of the collar). Especially when one of the other bidders proposed an unbranded product, taking the manufacturer's logo off the uniform completely. That would sure provide a good amount of leverage, being able to say, "Your proposal looks great, Mr. Knight, but this chest logo can't happen. One of your competitors offered to take their logo off the on-field garments completely, and we're going to take that deal if you insist the swoosh has to be on the chest."

Again, I could be wrong (I've been there before, and I'll go there again more than a few times in my life), but I'd be shocked if the Nike logo ends up on the chest. If there's one thing the NFL cares about most within it's own brand, it's the prominence and value of that shield.

I agree that the NFL wants its logo to be the main focus on the chest, but the NFL also wants its uniforms to look neat and be attractive. With the exponential shrinking of sleeves in the NFL, there is less room to put the manufacturer's logo, limiting the design possibilities and crowding what is on the sleeves. So, they'll have to choose between having to share the front of the jerseys with Nike or having limited design possibilites and crowded sleeves.

They've chosen crowded sleeves for the past 15-20 years.

Ehhh, I have to respectfully disagree with you there. With the exception of lineman, the whole no-sleeves thing didn't get as extreme as it is now until the last 5 or so years. And a lot of teams now still have full sleeves, but the "new technology" that has been coming out has literally eliminated sleeves, so a change really needs to be made.

Love the Falcons and Bucs.

But at some point, I'd like to see an alternate that isn't a recolored version of the home & road.

+1

that is the only nitpick i have on an incredible concept series. i'd like to see you get a little playful with the alts.

again, GREAT job on these. that falcons sleeve striping is spot on.

sig2024.png

Ehhh, I have to respectfully disagree with you there. With the exception of lineman, the whole no-sleeves thing didn't get as extreme as it is now until the last 5 or so years. And a lot of teams now still have full sleeves, but the "new technology" that has been coming out has literally eliminated sleeves, so a change really needs to be made.

When is the last time the NFL actually made a change that needed to be made? From a visual standpoint?

Anyway, for how small the logo has to be (less than 2.25" wide), I still think there's enough real estate on the sleeves for a swoosh, whether the jerseys have sleeves or not. If the Reebok logo can fit on the sleeve of their new jersey, a swoosh can fit on the sleeve of whatever jersey Nike plans to roll out with.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

When is the last time the NFL actually made a change that needed to be made? From a visual standpoint?

Anyway, for how small the logo has to be (less than 2.25" wide), I still think there's enough real estate on the sleeves for a swoosh, whether the jerseys have sleeves or not. If the Reebok logo can fit on the sleeve of their new jersey, a swoosh can fit on the sleeve of whatever jersey Nike plans to roll out with.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...either way, for this concept I'll keep the swoosh on the chest because I don't want to go back and change every jersey.

And for those who want more playful alts, I see where you guys are coming from, but I can't think of many pro or college teams that have non-recolor alts (besides throwbacks). And this is meant to be a prediction of what Nike might do with the NFL, so I'll probably keep the alts as recolors.

The Falcons set is the best. Nice job.

The Saints? Not so much. Many of your concepts show a lot of thought but the Saints one looks kind of slapped together IMO what with the logo placement, which just doesn't work. Also don't like how the color palette is used, there's too much stark black and white.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

All right, I just updated the NFC South. I took Let'sGoOakland's advice and changed the Bucs number outlines to black, and I think it looks better and adds consistency with the logos. I also added a teal alt for the Panthers and changed the Saints numbers to gold with a black outline.

It's great. The only problem I have is that the Panthers' teal alt needs to be with silver pants, considering the base colour of the numbers is silver.

Yeah, I had trouble deciding which pants to use, but since panthers are black I didn't want a home uniform with no black.

It's great. The only problem I have is that the Panthers' teal alt needs to be with silver pants, considering the base colour of the numbers is silver.

Yeah, I had trouble deciding which pants to use, but since panthers are black I didn't want a home uniform with no black.

Then try black numbers with silver outlines and keep the black pants, maybe?

25yzwqg.png

Saints jersey logo placement is still an issue IMO, and the other thing I failed to mention last time is that this concept uses their current 'beige' gold instead of the original 'brass' gold.

The jersey logos would work better on the shoulders (where TV numbers usually go), turned so the top points toward the collar and the bottom points towards the sleeve numbers?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived