Anyone else bothered by these?

A-Train

Anyone else think that the MLB should expand from four team playoffs to six? I just think it's extremely hard to make the playoffs especially this year when a lot of the teams are above .500 but some teams get screwed. I understand I'll probably be the only one who feels this way.

Another thing that bothers me is the inconsistency of NCAA Football schedules. EX - Florida State, has 7 homes games and only 5 away. Why can't it be the the NFL where all the teams have 8 home and 8 away? In this case, it would be 6 home, 6 away. I thought the bowl system was a joke, but this is also a problem the lack of consistency in College.

Six teams would never work, because it'd involve two teams having extended periods with no games. It's okay for football, but not with baseball- when you're used to playing 6 games a week, playing none and then having to play again is hard to do.

While I agree with your statement about college football, I believe teams create their own out-of-conference schedules, and if teams want to play 7 games at Florida's field, then I guess that's their decision.

Also, for the MLB, they really should shorten the regular season... 162 games is just way too long, and most teams are out of the playoffs by the all-star break anyways. Cut back to 154 and have 8 teams per league qualify.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Not unless they cut down on the regular season, use only domed stadiums or play in the south. Another series would put us within reach of seeing a line of onfield playing parkas. Except the Yankess who will freeze to death in their windbreakers.

I am not bothered at all by the football scheduling. It is not inconsistent, it is just unbalanced. It is unbalanced for financial reasons.

College football does not have the revenue sharing which the NFL has. Plus, the majority of teams that play at every level (FBS, FCS, D-II...) do not have their revenues meet the expense of playing. To help curtail the loss, schools give up home games to larger schools who will draw more. Schools with larger stadiums, like Florida state have the potential to have a larger gate, which can be split between the two teams. Even the players for the lower programs want to play in front of 80,000 once in their season, as opposed to play a home game in front of 15,000.

Shorten the season to have it end around the middle of September. I'd love to see the playoffs expanded to 8 teams in each league, but this is coming from a fan of a smaller market team. Baseball has the most tradition and most like how quick the playoffs go so really it's a hit and miss issue with most as some would say the playoffs really start at beginning of September.

It wouldn't kill me to see an expanded playoff format but I can also live without it.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Also, for the MLB, they really should shorten the regular season... 162 games is just way too long, and most teams are out of the playoffs by the all-star break anyways. Cut back to 154 and have 8 teams per league qualify.

No way, 8 teams is way too many. If you look at this years standings the #8 seeds would be Detroit and Los Angeles Dodgers. Both teams are hovering around .500 and have a chance of finishing with a losing record. It would be a joke to let them into the postseason. It would devalue the regular season. The only playoff expansion worth doing is adding a playoff game between the top two wildcard teams.

The season is already extremely long, I don't see how another playoff round could hurt?

Back in the old country we called this "answering your own question."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 teams is too much, but 4 is too little. 162 games are way to long. So, it seems 6 would make sense. Unfortunately, only having 3 divisions that would make 3 wild card teams..and IDK if the MLB would ever do that.

Dfawbel nailed the college football topic. They simply need to play games where they'll make money. That's why Wisconsin playing at Austin Peay makes no sense. So the big schools will host the small schools.

As for baseball...I hope they don't expand. It would have to be doubled, as someone above pointed out, you cannot have byes, as they would probably be a disadvantage to the top-ranked team. increasing to 16 teams (over half) would dilute the races. Baseball has the longest regular season and having some teams under .500 over that long of a season would negatively impact the integrity of the championship run. Plus, it's nice that there is one pro sport where making the playoffs is still a big deal.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 teams is too much, but 4 is too little. 162 games are way to long. So, it seems 6 would make sense. Unfortunately, only having 3 divisions that would make 3 wild card teams..and IDK if the MLB would ever do that.

How does 6 make perfect sense?

This isn't football where you can give a team time off. A week off in baseball would kill a team.

IUe6Hvh.png

This isn't football where you can give a team time off. A week off in baseball would kill a team.

Exactly. Look at what it did to Colorado in 2007 - they sweep Arizona but have to wait for the Boston/Cleveland series to go seven games, therefore they get an elongated break (it escapes me exactly how long it was though, but close enough to a week). They went from the hottest team in baseball (21-1 the 22 games prior I believe) to getting swept in four.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Right, but four team playoffs are just fine? So out of 30 teams, only 8 make it? And how does a week off kill a team? It's not football where there are home field advantage and first round bye.

Right, but four team playoffs are just fine? So out of 30 teams, only 8 make it? And how does a week off kill a team? It's not football where there are home field advantage and first round bye.

Baseball is all about timing. Give a player a week off and they lose their timing. And of course there is home field advantage in baseball. I'd argue home field advantage in baseball is bigger than in football. Every stadium has its differences, and the home team has 82 games to figure out how to play them perfectly.

1zqy8ok.gif

Another thing that bothers me is the inconsistency of NCAA Football schedules. EX - Florida State, has 7 homes games and only 5 away. Why can't it be the the NFL where all the teams have 8 home and 8 away? In this case, it would be 6 home, 6 away. I thought the bowl system was a joke, but this is also a problem the lack of consistency in College.

Well unlike the NFL, college football isn't a singular league with centralized scheduling. Each team does their own schedules thus because of the economic reasons mentioned earlier in the thread you get an odd number of home and road games.

If MLB is to expand the postseason at all, I would support an increase from 8 teams to 10, 5 in each league (3 division champs, two wild cards). Best of three wild card round, best of seven everywhere else, and start the season a week early to compensate.

LvZYtbZ.png

If MLB is to expand the postseason at all, I would support an increase from 8 teams to 10, 5 in each league (3 division champs, two wild cards). Best of three wild card round, best of seven everywhere else, and start the season a week early to compensate.

FVAYIF4FUVSGLQ1.MEDIUM.jpg

Seriously unfunny.

Archived