Throwbacks

IanPhoenix

But some throwbacks are better than the "new" versions:

p3627659reg.jpg better than p3858832reg.jpg

Um - that isn't the Charger's throwback; that is their alternate. This is the throwback:

p4923389dt.jpg

Lol I was just waiting for someone to correct that. Throwbacks aren't a fad, whats old will always be new again.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere - but anyone see any of the kings/canucks game last night? A thing of beauty....especially quick's brown gear -- I know its been done a couple of times before, but I can't for my life understand why a goalie or two, especially on more historical teams, doesn't don the oldfashioned brown gear full time. It looks so fantastic, and so current given the throwback/fauxback craze these days. Wouldn't want everyone doing it, but one or two ought to. Most goalies look so boring nowadays with predominantly white gear -- I assume its for competitive reasons, since its become so common (gone are recent days when most goalies had colourful gear.)

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere - but anyone see any of the kings/canucks game last night? A thing of beauty....especially quick's brown gear -- I know its been done a couple of times before, but I can't for my life understand why a goalie or two, especially on more historical teams, doesn't don the oldfashioned brown gear full time. It looks so fantastic, and so current given the throwback/fauxback craze these days. Wouldn't want everyone doing it, but one or two ought to. Most goalies look so boring nowadays with predominantly white gear -- I assume its for competitive reasons, since its become so common (gone are recent days when most goalies had colourful gear.)

i was at that game as my first as a season ticket holder. had a great view of a dissapointing loss. tip of the hat goes to jonothan quick for going full on retro.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I think it's been "proven" that there is some kind of competitive advantage gained by wearing white pads. Something like it fools the shooter into thinking that he's shooting into an open space or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like a good traditional design/throwback as much as the next guy, but yeah, the brown pads need to be kept to a minimum. I mean it was Felix Potvin's pad/mask design that made me want to be a hockey goalie. The brown pad look is ok for a one-off throwback game, but it would be terrible full time, in my opinion. Some things just don't look good when you try to hard to be vintage.

Archived