MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with how the Yankees honor their retired numbers, but do they currently acknowledge Jackie Robinson's league-wide 42 retirement? Would they have two 42s when Rivera retires?

They do have it retired, but since Mariano had the 42 before it became retired league wide, he was able to keep the number. Whenever he retires, they'll honor his 42 for the Yankees.

Too bad though, retiring an already retired number doesn't mean much

Manchester-City-icon.png

Doesn't mean much? Couldn't agree less, especially since they don't treat Robinson's number the same way as they do their own retired numbers. Robinson essentially gets the same treatment they gave the Pope; he gets a mention in Monument Park, but not one of the big ones.

The Cards retired Sutter's 42, and it's not treated like a sceondary retirement. It's all about who the team treats it. Rivera will get the same honor bestowed on Ruth/Mantle/et al, and Robinson's 42 will be acknowledged for its special place in league history.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Doesn't mean much? Couldn't agree less, especially since they don't treat Robinson's number the same way as they do their own retired numbers. Robinson essentially gets the same treatment they gave the Pope; he gets a mention in Monument Park, but not one of the big ones.

I'm saying for Rivera. I mean they'll retire his number, but it's not like anyone could wear it after him anyways

Manchester-City-icon.png

What are you talking about robinsons number 42 is right on the wall of all the retired numbers... They added it there years ago. very prominent.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

What are you talking about robinsons number 42 is right on the wall of all the retired numbers... They added it there years ago. very prominent.

That's what he said...What are you talking about?

Manchester-City-icon.png

No he said robinson isn't treated like the other Yankees, more like the pope. That's not true. The pope and other medium-prominence Yankees have a plaque on the back wall. The retired numbers Are prominently displayed along the front half walls, including #42. The only other higher honor would be a monument which is reserved for babe Ruth, Lou gehrig etc.

Jackie Robinson gets very good treatment in monument park, way better than just a plaque like the pope has.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I think what he meant is that it loses that nostalgic effect, after Mo is done the Yankees would of never issued another 42 anyway.

Yes, both are just as important and have the honor of being retired but the nostalgia is what is different than if mo was a number that was previously unretired.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I think what he meant is that it loses that nostalgic effect, after Mo is done the Yankees would of never issued another 42 anyway.

Yes, both are just as important and have the honor of being retired but the nostalgia is what is different than if mo was a number that was previously unretired.

I think Mo comes out ahead - nobody's ever going to think of Jackie when they think 42 + pinstripes.

If anything, the Robinson tribute means a little less when teams have their own iconic #42.

I think Mo comes out ahead - nobody's ever going to think of Jackie when they think 42 + pinstripes.

If anything, the Robinson tribute means a little less when teams have their own iconic #42.

KC is right about what I meant. But I see your point too. I was just talking specifically about how nobody could've picked his number after him anyways

Manchester-City-icon.png

Only time will tell, but I might beg to differ. I think that if you are a Yankee fan that watched the Yankees during the 90's-00's then maybe not. But decades later I think that Yankee fans and baseball fans in general might remember the 42 at Yankee stadium as Jackie's number as opposed to Mo's number simply because history will always place Jackie way above Rivera. Robinson probably ranks in the top 5 in terms of most significant players in baseball history....Rivera probably won't rank in the top 10-15 of most significant Yankees in history; But we shall see. As much as I abhor the Yankees I can still acknowledge the greatness of a truly great player like Rivera

Los course they did. Pathetic.

Surge, we'll have to agree to disagree. Mo is one of the most prominent Yankees of his era, itself a significant period in Yankee history. He'll always be spoken of by Yankee fans in the same hushed tones as, if not Mickey Mantle, then Reggie Jackson.

Los course they did. Pathetic.

Surge, we'll have to agree to disagree. Mo is one of the most prominent Yankees of his era, itself a significant period in Yankee history. He'll always be spoken of by Yankee fans in the same hushed tones as, if not Mickey Mantle, then Reggie Jackson.

I've been thinking about it more and more since I posted and I might have to concede on this one. Its tough since I'm not a Yankee fan...so I naturally lean towards the J-Robinson end of it....you may be right on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived