MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since most of the teams are out now, i thought we should start a tread for this. So far we know that the padres will ditch the sand iego away for a gray uni ( Huge downgrade if you ask me, it was the only thing that made them unique),

the Angels will switch from a silver to a gold halo (upgrade), the a's will dump the black alt for most probably a yellow vest with green sleeves and a yellow hat.

There are rumors of the brewers changing their away to milwaukee and the indians rebranding, the orioles adding an orange alt, the mariners bringing back the teal alt, the cards and phillies to introduce a red alt, and the yankees getting a navy alt.

so discuss, gentlemen, discuss

dont see this happening at all, especally with the Cardinals and the Yankees, too much tradition

well, I got this from a friend who works in yankees marketing, who told me that they talk about an alt every 3 years or so, and apparently hank steinbrenner really likes alts.

for the cardinals he said that since jersey sales are slowing, they want something new to make them look younger and cool since they are one of the least 'hip' teams.

for the phillies he said they strongly considered it before the world series win and that if they don't win it all again, they would want to add an alt reminiscent of the saturday night special to squeeze money out of fans

07Giants.pngnyy.png

well, I got this from a friend who works in yankees marketing, who told me that they talk about an alt every 3 years or so, and apparently hank steinbrenner really likes alts.

for the cardinals he said that since jersey sales are slowing, they want something new to make them look younger and cool since they are one of the least 'hip' teams.

for the phillies he said they strongly considered it before the world series win and that if they don't win it all again, they would want to add an alt reminiscent of the saturday night special to squeeze money out of fans

How would your friend know about the Cardinals and Phillies potential uni-tweaks if he works in Yankees marketing?

I would love to see a Yankees road alternate. Just don't mess with the pinstripes at home. The Phillies don't need another alternate, they already have their cream uniform. As for the Cardinals, they also don't need an alternate uniform. Both the Tigers and Cardinals have great tradition with just two uniforms, and that tradition should not be broken.

But, never doubt the ability of these traditional teams to spew out alternate uniforms. All pro teams will do anything for additional revenue.

How would your friend know about the Cardinals and Phillies potential uni-tweaks if he works in Yankees marketing?

I would love to see a Yankees road alternate. Just don't mess with the pinstripes at home. The Phillies don't need another alternate, they already have their cream uniform. As for the Cardinals, they also don't need an alternate uniform. Both the Tigers and Cardinals have great tradition with just two uniforms, and that tradition should not be broken.

But, never doubt the ability of these traditional teams to spew out alternate uniforms. All pro teams will do anything for additional revenue.

exactly

He got the information from when he was working with the mlb

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Noooooooooooooo. No alternate Yankees uniform. Along with the Tigers and Cardinals, they are the only ones to not have an alternate, and it would be nice to keep it that way. However, I will concede to one thing. I definitely don't ever want to see a "color" version like many teams have, but I would make a concession if the uniform were to be a throwback, a replica of an old uniform, like the Mets just did this year after finally admitting that they almost never wore their "home" uniform and made it a "throwback" alternate and the snow white their home.

FYI the Tigers wore an alt in 1996. Only Cards & Yanks have never worn alts. Well, and the Expos, but they made up for that when they moved to DC.

And the thread was meant to be for things that are actually going to happen, not wild speculation. The Yankees aren't getting an alternate, but several sources have said that SD is dropping the khaki. There is another thread for wild unsubstantiated speculation: What would you like to see in MLB for 2011 season?

I think Lukas said that there are going to be a few tweaks here and there, but nothing major for anyone.

The Tigers wore an alternate in 1995, the Cardinals have worn their red BP jerseys for a game in 1998 or 1999 and I'm pretty sure the Expos have worn their blue BP jerseys for a game too. Even though the Cardinals and Expos haven't had official alternates, the Cardinals have and I'm pretty sure the Expos have also worn a BP jersey in a game.

Since most of the teams are out now, i thought we should start a tread for this. So far we know that the padres will ditch the sand iego away for a gray uni ( Huge downgrade if you ask me, it was the only thing that made them unique),

the Angels will switch from a silver to a gold halo (upgrade), the a's will dump the black alt for most probably a yellow vest with green sleeves and a yellow hat.

There are rumors of the brewers changing their away to milwaukee and the indians rebranding, the orioles adding an orange alt, the mariners bringing back the teal alt, the cards and phillies to introduce a red alt, and the yankees getting a navy alt.

so discuss, gentlemen, discuss

dont see this happening at all, especally with the Cardinals and the Yankees, too much tradition

it could happen i guess, i know the Cardinal ownership was talking about tweaking something with the uniforms around the time they moved into the new ballpark but that has yet to been done, personally i would like them to put "St.Louis" on the road uniforms and leave it at that

I wonder which would look better on the bat, "St. Louis" or "Saint Louis." The latter might be closer in length to "Cardinals," and thus not have a distractingly large space between words.

I can't imagine how one would make the Cardinals "hip." They should consult the guy that redesigned Wonder Bread.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess I can go ahead and say which teams are NOT making changes for the 2011 season (aside from all teams getting new BP jerseys)...

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Detroit Tigers

Florida Marlins

Houston Astros (only removing 45th Anniversary patch)

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Dodgers (only removing '55 Since 55' patch)

Milwaukee Brewers (only removing 40th Anniversary patch)

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

St. Louis Cardinals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I guess I can go ahead and say which teams are NOT making changes for the 2011 season (aside from all teams getting new BP jerseys)...

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Detroit Tigers

Florida Marlins

Kansas City Royals

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

St. Louis Cardinals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

The Reds are making changes already? If it's ditching the current number font, then I'm all for it.

The Reds are making changes already? If it's ditching the current number font, then I'm all for it.

No changes to the number font, sorry.

I wonder if the White Sox are coming up with a black "Chicago" jersey since they're wearing black home and away so much now.

That would infuriate me. If the Sox are adding/removing a jersey, hopefully it is the addition of a throwback alternate or preferably, announcing they will leave the black jerseys in the closets for 2011. The only thing keeping their look from being perfect is wearing the :censored:ing black jerseys 75% of the time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Noooooooooooooo. No alternate Yankees uniform. Along with the Tigers and Cardinals, they are the only ones to not have an alternate, and it would be nice to keep it that way. However, I will concede to one thing. I definitely don't ever want to see a "color" version like many teams have, but I would make a concession if the uniform were to be a throwback, a replica of an old uniform, like the Mets just did this year after finally admitting that they almost never wore their "home" uniform and made it a "throwback" alternate and the snow white their home.

FYI the Tigers wore an alt in 1996. Only Cards & Yanks have never worn alts. Well, and the Expos, but they made up for that when they moved to DC.

And the thread was meant to be for things that are actually going to happen, not wild speculation. The Yankees aren't getting an alternate, but several sources have said that SD is dropping the khaki. There is another thread for wild unsubstantiated speculation: What would you like to see in MLB for 2011 season?

I think Lukas said that there are going to be a few tweaks here and there, but nothing major for anyone.

The Tigers wore an alternate in 1995, the Cardinals have worn their red BP jerseys for a game in 1998 or 1999 and I'm pretty sure the Expos have worn their blue BP jerseys for a game too. Even though the Cardinals and Expos haven't had official alternates, the Cardinals have and I'm pretty sure the Expos have also worn a BP jersey in a game.

Yes, Tigers alt was 1995. My bad. The Cards red alt was a special MDA promo that was a one-shot in 1999. They weren't BP's. They were red doubleknit. But since they were one-offs, they don't count as an official alternate. They'd be like the throwback game special edition jerseys. And BP's-in-games are just that: BP's-in-games. Just because Baltimore decides to wear their BP in games doesn't mean they have a new orange alt, it just means they decided to dress like it's a spring training game.

Since these special one-off's or other throwback games don't count in the "alternate jersey" category, that means that, officially, the only teams never to wear alts are the Yanks and Cards.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Detroit Tigers

Florida Marlins

Kansas City Royals

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

St. Louis Cardinals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

Any chance you can give me some hints on what Toronto is doing?

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Detroit Tigers

Florida Marlins

Kansas City Royals

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

St. Louis Cardinals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

Since the Twins just made changes, my guess for them would be:

1. Officially ditch the sleeveless jersey (not even sure why the updated this with wordmark).

2. Officially ditching the M hat (thought Mauer wanted to use it still?).

3. Probably not keeping the 1961 throwbacks (mistake-they rock).

4. Removing the 50th Anniversary and Inaugural Season patches.

Am I close? :)

Really? I'm going to have to fix that information. Over at Wikipedia everyone's been under the impression that those are the three teams. I'll have to add in all this information. And pics of the Tigers alt, or sources on the Expos and Cardinals one-offs?

The Yankees don't need a colored alternate that looks like a BP jersey. In fact, the BP jersey is just about all you can do with the home jersey in a colorzed form without either going with the pajama-like negative alternate that was proposed back in I think the 70's, or the gray "prison uniforms" of the All-Star game.

However, I would be willng to accept and actually laud a set of home and away throwbacks based on the uniforms of the early century. I did a mockup uniform image to illustrate.

Yes, I know it doesn't look like much, but the home is of a tan hue like the aforementioned Mets alternate, the NY on the chest is darker and the older more... lopsided (for lack of a better word) version.

While the road uniform looks similar, the white around the away script is gone as is the sleeve piping.

On both the old numbering is used, which, by the looks of DiMaggio's old uniform, is very similar to the iconic current Red Sox numbering. The socks are stirrups. The caps along with the socks are the old hue, which is hard to judge. The photographs are black and white, and artist interpretations tend to use a much lighter blue, although the NY on the authentic reproduction of the old jersey seems darker than now, and it looks odd compared to a lighter cap. Relics seem light, but things tend to fade over 80 years.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Jays will be ditching the one thing that most people like about their 2010 look. That's all I'm going to say for now.

Since the Twins just made changes, my guess for them would be:

1. Officially ditch the sleeveless jersey (not even sure why the updated this with wordmark).

2. Officially ditching the M hat (thought Mauer wanted to use it still?).

3. Probably not keeping the 1961 throwbacks (mistake-they rock).

4. Removing the 50th Anniversary and Inaugural Season patches.

Am I close? :)

You're 50% correct with your predictions.

Archived