MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Giants at least wear black caps with their orange jerseys. IMHO, I wish we could return to the days where the baseball cap was kind of like the football helmet in that it served as a representation for the team - a defacto primary logo if you will. Now that teams have 4 or 5 caps, that's simply impossible. If you must have a road cap, then so be it... but I'd really like to see no more than 2 caps per team, with the primary color being the same (maybe a different brim, but that's about it.) There's no need for a team (Cardinals, Nationals, etc.) to be red and white at home, and then blue and gray on the road.

I agree, and I would go one step futher (and I know you agree with me on this). Teams should be required to wear batting helmets matching their game caps every single game. Eliminate the sublimated garbage of the Mets and Rockies and make teams look uniform whether they are batting or in the field. It is silly for teams to have looks which only see the field for half of the game (such as the Cardinals wearing their navy bird-on-bat cap with red batting helmets). I can almost excuse the laziness/cheapness of not getting matching helmets for caps worn once a week, but it is even more ridiculous when teams don't match a regular game cap, such as the road cap, to their batting helmets. I am looking at you, Reds, Twins and Athletics.

Hear Hear. If you're going to create several caps simply to increase revenue (and make no mistake, that is the only reason for all of this alt-cap mania), then the teams should be required to wear matching helmets too. Throw the Padres in there as well, although they do make an alternate green helmet (with a mismatched white SD), they do not make a road helmet with the sand-colored SD.

The MLB won't ever require helmets to match the game cap. Why? Because the major leagues only make a substantial amount of revenue on the official team caps. This prompts the league to pump out as many different styles of caps as possible. On the other hand, the MLB makes significantly less (if any at all) on batting helmets and souvenir catcher's helmets. They don't want to make numerous versions of the different helmets because they know most people won't buy them. That is why the league will always have teams with 3 or 4 caps, while those same teams only have 1 batting helmet.

I realize that. The NFL also lets players take the field wearing tanktops with pads exposed, but it doesn't mean that is a good aesthetic decision, either. There is no reason not to have batting helmets to match all regular home, road and alt caps. Money isn't an issue, as I have heard thrown around. Sell the used helmets off at the end of the year at the team garage sale or fan fest. They would get their money back. And since almost all the alt hats are worn at home, carrying extra sets of helmets while traveling wont be an issue.

Rockies and Mets helmets? Yes. Those need to be fixed like yesterday. However, I think the Cardinals are excused as they only wear their Sunday cap at home, not on the road as the Giants do. It wouldn't make sense to have a seperate helmet for as little as they wear it. And also with them, and the Giants too I guess, they wear the alternate cap with their regular home (and the road too for the Giants) uniforms so the helmet itself doesn't look out of place, just as if it were a game on any other day of the week. It's not like the Phillies who wore their regular red helmets with the throwbacks the first year. THAT looked out of place with as often as they wore those uniforms. That and the red helmet didn't exactly go with the uniform.

I believe in some cases it is best to have a seperate helmet per cap (Rangers red, Mets black), but some can be excused.

I have always wanted to express this and now feels like the right time:

IMO, baseball is the perfect sport for alternates. They play a game almost everyday for several months. It is the perfect opportunity to change it up game to game. I'm not saying go all out and have 7 jerseys and 4 caps, but more than just 2 jerseys and a cap. From my standpoint (as fan and uniform nerd), that is boring as hell. I would much rather see an alternate or two worked in there. At least interchange the hats and jerseys. From a player standpoint (at least for me), I would like to have more than just 2 jerseys and a cap. I hate wearing the same hat all season.

Before it comes up, let me just say that I don't care about the old school traditionalist crap. People say something like "baseball is America's past time, it should look that way," or "baseball should look vintage, 1 hat, a white and gray jersey". But that is boring. And we are in 2010. Not 19anything. Why not have at least a team color alternate jersey? Or a road cap? If you say it dilutes the image, give specific examples. It's ok with me if the Yankees don't want a separate road hat. But their are ideas that would be great for alternates. Even if it's just a weekend throwback or something.

/End rant. Thanks for reading.

I get what your saying, but some teams and their fans just love the simplicity of not having 4 or 5 different jerseys and caps. Cardinals, Yankees and Tigers look absolutely great with only the two jerseys. For these teams, what's ON the jersey more than makes up for the repetiveness (Cardinals birds on the bat, Yankees pinstripes, Tigers old english D).

And people may be tired of the "old fashion traditional" look of baseball, but that's one of the things that makes baseball so great. Times change and there have been some changes, but a lot of things can stay the same and cover long periods of time without ever going out of style or getting out of date.

I think the Cardinals are excused as they only wear their Sunday cap at home, not on the road as the Giants do. It wouldn't make sense to have a seperate helmet for as little as they wear it.

Then it doesn't make sense to have that hat for as little as they wear it. It's not even an attractive hat. It's a minor-league hat, or a batting practice hat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Giants at least wear black caps with their orange jerseys. IMHO, I wish we could return to the days where the baseball cap was kind of like the football helmet in that it served as a representation for the team - a defacto primary logo if you will. Now that teams have 4 or 5 caps, that's simply impossible. If you must have a road cap, then so be it... but I'd really like to see no more than 2 caps per team, with the primary color being the same (maybe a different brim, but that's about it.) There's no need for a team (Cardinals, Nationals, etc.) to be red and white at home, and then blue and gray on the road.

I agree, and I would go one step futher (and I know you agree with me on this). Teams should be required to wear batting helmets matching their game caps every single game. Eliminate the sublimated garbage of the Mets and Rockies and make teams look uniform whether they are batting or in the field. It is silly for teams to have looks which only see the field for half of the game (such as the Cardinals wearing their navy bird-on-bat cap with red batting helmets). I can almost excuse the laziness/cheapness of not getting matching helmets for caps worn once a week, but it is even more ridiculous when teams don't match a regular game cap, such as the road cap, to their batting helmets. I am looking at you, Reds, Twins and Athletics.

Hear Hear. If you're going to create several caps simply to increase revenue (and make no mistake, that is the only reason for all of this alt-cap mania), then the teams should be required to wear matching helmets too. Throw the Padres in there as well, although they do make an alternate green helmet (with a mismatched white SD), they do not make a road helmet with the sand-colored SD.

The MLB won't ever require helmets to match the game cap. Why? Because the major leagues only make a substantial amount of revenue on the official team caps. This prompts the league to pump out as many different styles of caps as possible. On the other hand, the MLB makes significantly less (if any at all) on batting helmets and souvenir catcher's helmets. They don't want to make numerous versions of the different helmets because they know most people won't buy them. That is why the league will always have teams with 3 or 4 caps, while those same teams only have 1 batting helmet.

I realize that. The NFL also lets players take the field wearing tanktops with pads exposed, but it doesn't mean that is a good aesthetic decision, either. There is no reason not to have batting helmets to match all regular home, road and alt caps. Money isn't an issue, as I have heard thrown around. Sell the used helmets off at the end of the year at the team garage sale or fan fest. They would get their money back. And since almost all the alt hats are worn at home, carrying extra sets of helmets while traveling wont be an issue.

Rockies and Mets helmets? Yes. Those need to be fixed like yesterday. However, I think the Cardinals are excused as they only wear their Sunday cap at home, not on the road as the Giants do. It wouldn't make sense to have a seperate helmet for as little as they wear it. And also with them, and the Giants too I guess, they wear the alternate cap with their regular home (and the road too for the Giants) uniforms so the helmet itself doesn't look out of place, just as if it were a game on any other day of the week. It's not like the Phillies who wore their regular red helmets with the throwbacks the first year. THAT looked out of place with as often as they wore those uniforms. That and the red helmet didn't exactly go with the uniform.

I believe in some cases it is best to have a seperate helmet per cap (Rangers red, Mets black), but some can be excused.

I have always wanted to express this and now feels like the right time:

IMO, baseball is the perfect sport for alternates. They play a game almost everyday for several months. It is the perfect opportunity to change it up game to game. I'm not saying go all out and have 7 jerseys and 4 caps, but more than just 2 jerseys and a cap. From my standpoint (as fan and uniform nerd), that is boring as hell. I would much rather see an alternate or two worked in there. At least interchange the hats and jerseys. From a player standpoint (at least for me), I would like to have more than just 2 jerseys and a cap. I hate wearing the same hat all season.

Before it comes up, let me just say that I don't care about the old school traditionalist crap. People say something like "baseball is America's past time, it should look that way," or "baseball should look vintage, 1 hat, a white and gray jersey". But that is boring. And we are in 2010. Not 19anything. Why not have at least a team color alternate jersey? Or a road cap? If you say it dilutes the image, give specific examples. It's ok with me if the Yankees don't want a separate road hat. But their are ideas that would be great for alternates. Even if it's just a weekend throwback or something.

/End rant. Thanks for reading.

I get what your saying, but some teams and their fans just love the simplicity of not having 4 or 5 different jerseys and caps. Cardinals, Yankees and Tigers look absolutely great with only the two jerseys. For these teams, what's ON the jersey more than makes up for the repetiveness (Cardinals birds on the bat, Yankees pinstripes, Tigers old english D).

And people may be tired of the "old fashion traditional" look of baseball, but that's one of the things that makes baseball so great. Times change and there have been some changes, but a lot of things can stay the same and cover long periods of time without ever going out of style or getting out of date.

I completely agree. I just don't agree with people that use that as a reason not to have alternates and such. I'm cool with classic, traditional teams having few, simple uniform options, but not every team should consider themselves as belonging in that category.

I think the Cardinals are excused as they only wear their Sunday cap at home, not on the road as the Giants do. It wouldn't make sense to have a seperate helmet for as little as they wear it.

Then it doesn't make sense to have that hat for as little as they wear it. It's not even an attractive hat. It's a minor-league hat, or a batting practice hat.

I don't see how it doesn't make sense to have that cap simply because they don't wear it enough to warrant having its own helmet. That would be the last possible reason not to have a cap. And I know I may be biased, but I think its one of the more beautiful caps in baseball.

The Cardinals' everyday red hat is one of the more beautiful caps in baseball, and I'm biased in that I think a preponderance of Cardinals fans are walleyed goobers with some sort of creepy death fetish. Top that. All that being said, it is indeed rather pointless to have a hat that's only seen for 50% of every Sunday home game. That's quite a niche. Why not reduce to absurdity and have a hat that you only wear for Wednesday night road games when Adam Wainwright is pitching with a hangover and a Democrat is the governor of the state they're in? In terms of degrees, that's not even incredibly removed from what they're doing with the fielding-only Sunday afternoon home hat.

Could've sworn I saw the plain red hats in a Sunday night game a while back. Nonetheless, consider my entire argument over this Malibu Staciest of new hats categorically invalidated. You win!

Could've sworn I saw the plain red hats in a Sunday night game a while back. Nonetheless, consider my entire argument over this Malibu Staciest of new hats categorically invalidated. You win!

Excellent. And I hope you learned your lesson for calling in to question anything the Cardinal organization does.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just to clarify, they wear them for ALL sunday home games, not just afternoon games. You might want to get some facts straight, however trivial, before a totally pointless and incoherant rant.

Right, but you only see the hat 50% of the time during games. Unless Pujols makes a great defensive play or Matt Holliday has a routine flyball bounce off his head, you are barely going to notice they wore those hats during a Sportscenter recap. Pujols hit a towering homerun? He did it in the red helmet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Excellent. And I hope you learned your lesson for calling in to question anything the Cardinal organization does.

Right, because they have The Classiest Fans in Baseball?. Except when they don't.

So "Who really cares?" means "St. Louis"? :P

From the view up here in Chicago, it sure does.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Cardinals wear the "Bird hat" every Sunday home game except for postseason play, they wore it on the road i wanna say the first two seasons it came out '98 and '99 i believe

I guess I can go ahead and say which teams are NOT making changes for the 2011 season (aside from all teams getting new BP jerseys)...

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Detroit Tigers

Florida Marlins

Houston Astros (only removing 45th Anniversary patch)

Kansas City Royals

Los Angeles Dodgers (only removing '55 Since 55' patch)

Milwaukee Brewers (only removing 40th Anniversary patch)

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

St. Louis Cardinals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

Teams making changes and what we got so far:

Chicago White Sox: Away sleeve patch change

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Indians: New away and caps switch

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim that's located in Orange County which is in California: Replacing silver with gold and other anniversary stuff

Minnesota Twins: Dropping the vest and removing Target Field patches

Oakland A's: Reportedly dropping the black uniforms and adding a gold alt

Pittsburgh Pirates: Dropping the home pinstripes vest

San Diego Padres: Reportedly dropping the sand away in favor of gray

San Francisco Giants: Sleeve patch switch between away and alt uniforms

Seattle Mariners: Adding a teal alt

Toronto Blue Jays: Reportedly dropping the old-school alt

Washington Nationals: New uniforms and a new away cap

Anything about the Reds?

This probably belongs in a topic for 2012, but oh well. :P

Inbox: What spots will get an offensive upgrade?

I'm very excited the Mariners are bringing back the Northwest green uniforms next season, but it looks silly with the all-blue cap. Any reason why the green-brim cap isn't making a comeback, too?

-- Patrick S., Tacoma, Wash.

According to Mariners marketing director Kevin Martinez, when the NW green (or teal, as we used to call it) jerseys were introduced in 1994, the club wore them with a navy blue cap on the road and the green visor at home. So it's been done both ways.

When the Mariners trotted the green jersey back out for a Throwback Uniform night this past season, there was such a positive buzz from fans and players that the team made a last-minute application with MLB to approve the jerseys for use in '11. They didn't include the green cap in that proposal so, indeed, the new/old jerseys will only be worn with the blue cap this coming season when the alternate uniforms are used for Monday and Friday home games.

However, Martinez says if there is an outcry for the return of the green caps as well, the Mariners could certainly apply with MLB to add those caps the following season. So if you have a zeal for teal, let 'em know.

------------------------------

Well then.... I'll be one of the fans clamoring for a return of both teal caps. ^_^

This is another one for the 2012 file. Now I have absolutely no inside information -- this is merely a fearless prediction. I predict that when the Marlins move into their new ballpark and change their name to the Miami Marlins, the Marlins will wear "MIAMI" on all their jerseys -- home, away and alt (if applicable) -- for that first season to promote their new name and will restore "MARLINS" on their home jerseys for 2013.

If this rings true, you heard it here first. :)

Archived